AMD Graphics Card
- Make and model; R9 280 XFX DD (2X) Watercooled
- Desktop or Laptop System
- Operating System
- Windows 10 64bit
- Driver version installed
- Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.6.1 (previous hot fix drivers display the same behaviour Can't remember which one I was using but had to roll back previously and now cant remember which was the last version which worked)
- Display Devices
- AOC 2963 DP Port 2560 x 1080
- Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3 (rev. 1.0)
- i7 2600K
- Power Supply Unit Make, Model & Wattage
- XFX PRO 850W CORE EDITION
Now display driver boots to desktop but cannot enable crossfire
Tonight I have tested:
16.6.1 Black screen need to remove DP cable or turn monitor on or off
16.5.1 The Same, Crossfire on will not stick
16.4.2 The same as above
16.4.1 The Same
16.3.1 The same
Something since 16.2.1 has been broken
Thanks for the information.
What DP cable are you using? Do you have a different one you can try? I appreciate that you say 16.2.1 works fine, but these issues can be caused by low quality DP cables that get bundles with monitors.
I'd like to try a clean driver installation to see if that resolves the issue. Please navigate to Device Manager and expand Monitors and double click the Monitor to check Windows has not disabled it.
1. Run the Windows self check tool to check scan and automatically repair any corrupt files found in Windows. There is a guide on how to do it here. What you need to do is run an elevated command prompt (elevated means run it as administrator) and type SFC /SCANNOW. This will generate a statement indicating if errors were found the Operating system and if they were fixable.
3. Update Windows. Install all available critical, recommended and optional updates. Often Netframework and Visual C are included in the recommended or optional updates Windows provides. Windows should always be fully up to date before installing our drivers!
4. Use DDU to sweep the system of AMD drivers.
5. Install the latest Crimson 16.6.1 drivers once the above is completed and see if you get a black screen on the next boot.
Thanks for your response.
I have just finished carrying out the steps highlighted.
Check scan done... some errors nothing too exciting
.net and Visual C++ installed
Windows is up to date.
DDU has been used very frequently unfortunately. I also used it this time
Different cables tried: DP Cable (OK one I might add, was not bundled with monitor), very posh Dual Link DVI cable and HDMI to DVI. Couldn't be bothered trying a HDMI to HDMI cable
Problem persists and before you ask me to start stripping my pc down, I have previously swapped cards into different slots. Changed RAM timings etc
When I remove the DP cable and plug it in again log in screen appears, this does not work when using other types of cables or from a restart and or warm / cold boot.
Enable crossfire setting will not stick with 16.6.1, the driver is totally broken
Am I missing something?????
I noticed the system configurations used when testing new drivers is quite limited, I think someone should dust off a pair of 7950's or R9 280's and a Z77 board to make sure the next driver release works properly.
OK... After much messing around
I have drivers installed... Changed my monitor to setting to DP 1.1 instead of 1.2a, (haven't tried other cables can't be bothered). Crossfire now appears to be sticking after being enabled.
Crossfire does not work in Star Was Battlefront???? It use to.
It's working on my Radeon Pro Duo, make sure you run the game in fullscreen mode.
managed to get it working. For some reason it wasnt picking up the exe file.
Thanks for all your help Matt. The advice has been genuinely useful. These r9 280's do still have some legs.
I was thinking about picking up doom next weekend but I have been holding off for possible vulkan support and multi gpu or crossfire. Any idea if there is going to be support for this?
I had a 7970 myself and the 280 is almost identical bar a few board and bios changes, solid GPUs that still handle the latest games today.
You'd need to ask the developer about multi GPU Vulkan support as they will be the ones implementing support for Vulkan.