14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2016 11:25 PM by goodplay

r9 380 drivers setup issue

dbugd

Thanks in advance..

Just got the R9 380 for a from scratch build. On the DVD that came with it, setup.exe doesn't start. It comes up with a cmd window for a split second, then nothing. I even made an exception for it in BitDefender. I tried downloading the online drivers. It installs, but still no go on recognizing the R9 380. The fans are on, so I know it's getting power. I made sure to use separate power cords as well. 8pin to 6 (+2)pin... x2.. and I just didn't plug in the (+2) on the 6 pin side. I also tried running the autodetectutility.exe to which it said no AMD hardware detected. I know the GPU is in all the way and the latch closed onto it. I tried removing it and putting it back in as well. Oh, and windows is completely up to date on ALL optional and mandatory updates available! All drivers for the system are up to date as well. I hope someone can help.

Driver Downloaded from AMD site - non-whql-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-16.6.1-win10-win8.1-win7-june2.exe

GPU - XFX Radeon R9 380 R9-380P-4255 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support Double Dissipation XXX OC Video Card…

OS - Win7 Home Premium SP1

CPU - Intel Core i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz

RAM - 32.0 GB (16.0 usable)

Motherboard - ASRock ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming Fatal1ty Z97 Killer/3.1 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Mothe…

Power Supply - CORSAIR CX-M series CX750M 750W 80 PLUS BRONZE Haswell Ready ATX12V & EPS12V Modular Power Supply - Newegg.com

Attached are 2 Device Manager captures & some images of the inside of the case that may help as well.

Thanks again for your time & help,

-John

• Re: r9 380 drivers setup issue
          fujiyama-95

could just be bad a card, get a new one with your warranty.

goodplay

Mobo Bios settings, disable igp, initial display first(auto/peg/pcie) ,also may be in graphics(peg/pcie).Check your manual.

Monitor plugged into card.

dbugd

"Mobo"? I didn't do anything to the bios. I checked the boot menu/motherboard settings for anything about GPU with no luck.

I disabled the igp (Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600). even reinstalled the online drivers again (non-whql-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-16.6.1-win10-win8.1-win7-june2.exe).. refreshed, rebooted. checked device manager again. nothing. black screen on monitor.

"initial display first(auto/peg/pcie) ,also may be in graphics(peg/pcie)" - i'm a little fuzzy on this. kindly explain further?

The GPU manual describes what comes up when the DVD is inserted and setup.exe is run... which doesn't work for me. The manual for the motherboard, I don't see anything about the GPU other than overclocking and voltage regulation for the IGP.

monitor plugged in anywhere to GPU = black screen.

thanks again for your time.

goodplay

"initial display first(auto/peg/pcie) ,also may be in graphics(peg/pcie)" - i'm a little fuzzy on this. kindly explain further?

Or whatever terminology your mobo uses (maybe primary/pcie link,etc...).

I don't  know if asrock supplies a full paper(book) manual, you may have to download it.

Your device manager pic only shows the intel graphics..