26 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2016 2:08 PM by william

AMD @PC Gaming Show

mohotashi

What to expect from the PC Gaming Show at E3 | PC Gamer

Twitch <- Link to todays PC Gaming Show.

I am going to be watching this today, anyone else excited to see what gets revealed ? I figured having a discussion here is as good as any.

AMD is the big Hardware partner here, making it a must watch.

It's also helps that Digital Extremes (Warframe), Square Enix (FF) and Nexon (Ghost in the Shell : First Assault), all games I play are on the same stage.

Pre/post Discuss ?

• Re: AMD @PC Gaming Show
          jamesc359

I'm highly anticipating it, but they're going to have to bring their A game if they want to be even remotely comparable to EA and Bethesda's shows yesterday. Who knows what AMD will drop on us though. AMD could very well steal the show.

mohotashi

Tfalls2... Grappling hooks right ?! New Quake ?! It was cool to see Sessler/Webb as well. Let's hope the hardware steals the show.

jamesc359

I was more impressed with their inclusion of a single player campaign in Titanfall 2, their giving the suits a personality is a cherry on top.

For me Battlefield 1 stole the show. The graphics are quite stunning and they seem to have made WWI interesting and more importantly a exciting enough to capture the imagination. The quality of the actual game play is of course yet to be seen, but hopefully they won't pull another Battlefront on us.

Quake could be interesting, but as an old school shooter I think it's going to have an uphill battle. That fast twitchy game play is great for a little while, but people expect so much more in today's multiplayer shooters.

mohotashi

Titanfall2, inclusion of a story that centers around a grunt and an Titan AI does seem really fun. I hope the story is as dynamic as I think it should be. Finally tell us what the factions are, and why we are fighting lol.

As far as "Quake" goes I think there is some fan demand to bring back Arena Style Shooters. I know I would want to play me some, less leveling, card choosing, class building, and just, who is better ?!

The battlefield series as a whole I have not played much of, I did just purchase BF4 for $5 with the Origin sale. I played for about an hour on multiplayer, and the learning curve is just so high. I am sure the new BF will be the same. Not to say the games aren't stunning. The engines for those games have provided amazing visuals and the campaigns are great.

derrickgott007

I am watching!  Let's just say twitch chat is indeed being twitch chat.

derrickgott007

Lisa Su is a breath of fresh air in times like #E3.  She is super personable and communicates very well.  She is truly of the people and listens and cares about what we want and need.

mohotashi

So Deus Ex looks great.  Some of the VR looked good. I was disappointed Digital Extremes didn't show off new Warframe stuff, other than the Lunaro game. Got a free skin for a weapon which is nice.

New Video cards look awesome, would like to know price points. VR backpack looks sweet. Feel that Zen Hype ?  "I AM ZEN".

zionhalcyon

Looks like we got the full Polaris lineup - very nice!

Although Lisa Su did say Polaris would range from I believe $100-$300.  Highest Polaris we have is a RX480.   Could we be seeing an RX485 or RX475 in our future?

Might be pretty worthwhile, especially if AMD's push towards Explicit Multi-Adapter for DX12 get's off the ground.

iamthesaga

I believe Lisa was saying that 80 something percent of graphic card users have GPUs in the range of 100-300 dollars.  The RX480 falling in the middle with the performance it offers just kills it.

zionhalcyon

Ah, got ya. Thank you for the clarification!

jamesc359

I don't know why, but I get the feeling AMD is going to target the RX 460 at the $100 range¹, RX 470 somewhere in the $150 range¹ and the RX 490 will likely be somewhere around $300¹. Of course that's pure speculation, but it would fit nicely with the fact that they've been targeting the mainstream and there's only so many price tiers you can have that's below $200 and above $200, but still remain in the mainstream price range while at the same time being able to deliver a distinct product with a distinct performance difference.

¹ give or take $10-$20

zionhalcyon

Not entirely sure there's going to be an RX 490 after this.

I think that this is the entire Polaris lineup. I wouldn't be surprised if after this it's Full Speed Ahead for Vega.

jamesc359

I wouldn't be surprised in the least, but it would leave AMD with a significant hole in their lineup for a while.

mohotashi

It's great marketing that has worked for competitors. Get larger fan base by offering inexpensive great price to performance based cards, then drop the enthusiast card, picking up more sales + market share in the process. AMD's offerings are an amazing value, something fanboys will remember when they drop Vega. Getting loyalty with the #BetterRed campaign, which they also launched during this show, just kinda proves both hypothesis.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                                zionhalcyon

Agreed.The marketing strategy has improved by leaps and bounds since Raja took over, from Crimson to the RTG rebrand, to the Polaris strategy, it's been spot on.

mohotashi

Exclusive: How AMD's 'The Uprising' Ad Campaign Will Incite A Radeon Rebellion

Adds to our conversation I would think. AMDGaming just posted.

I think this is a smart move for AMD.

zionhalcyon

mohotashi Yes, I saw that last week.  I think it is definitely one of the more clever ad campaigns I've seen (as well as one of the edgier ones).

However, if they really want to bring amdredteam to the people, I think some tv ads are in order.

Frankly, if they want to make an impact, then build to it - start with the grass roots movements and pasting flyers, etc.  some selective commercials in timeslots ideal for the target audience, but not something that beats people over the head - think like a slow burn to Zen and Vega.  Hype your big shows for the tech enthusiasts who are always plugged in, but keep on a slow burn for the general public consciousness.  And when football season comes around in the U.S., this is where you pick up steam with very short commercials and a Superbowl date - yes, I am suggesting AMD actually spend for a Superbowl ad.

They will not have more eyes of their potential target audience and marketshare in one place than the Superbowl.  And the commercial should be in the vein of Apple's classic "1984" ad.  Less a tech demo, and more conveying a concept, an idea, that will get the general masses talking, curious, and willing to investigate.

You want to bring VR to the masses?  You have to make them aware of it first.  And with something like this, they could do it, IF they are creative about it.

Personally, I'd love to see nothing more than "RADEON" flash across a commercial for a Superbowl Halftime show, with a message that VR, Graphics, Games, etc aren't just for "geeks" any more, but for the masses.  And no one but Apple with that famous commercial has been willing to try another commercial like that.

I think the creative marketers at #AMD could pull it off.Red Team erin.maiorino

derrickgott007

I imagine the RX 460 will fill the role of the R7 360, and be offered for $100.  The RX 470 should replace the R7 370.    Looks like they use a lot less energy and achieve higher results.  It'll be cool to see their benches.

theriaya

I am looking forward to seeing what the full benchmarks on these cards will be. Specially the RC 480, once the custom ones hit the market and we see how far they can be pushed. Eventually I would love to get in to VR myself, but right now not for that price hahaha!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                                william

It's nice to see that there will be RX 460/470 version of the card. Can't wait for the release of whole RX 4XX serie lineup.

I heard that there was suppose to be some kind of new info about Zen but I didn't had the time to watch it yet. Do we know something more about it than we did before this event? I didn't find any new information on the internet.

feverstriker

What I am curious about it is what the Vega gpus have to offer and at what price point? The amazing job AMD did with the RX480 has already made my curiosity spike through the roof about the next set of GPU cards!!!

zionhalcyon

What's interesting is I don't know on that any assumptions can be made at this point. We are all looking at Vega and Navi thereafter as potentially high-end cards, but for all we know, they could follow in Polaris's footsteps about getting high end performance with low cost.

While part of me doesn't want to cede the high-end Market to Nvidia, if developments with explicit multi adapter continue to advance in Dx 12, then running multi-gpu Solutions on a single card would become feasible.

Therefore, you could potentially see them develop in The Same Spirit as Polaris, and then to compete with the Nvidia high-end, start cranking out dual-gpu card setups that run as fast if not faster but cost 2- $300 less.