Can you use Windows System Restore to before this happened?
I have a 600 watt Psu by corsair and a amd 6 core cpu ( I can't remember the generation and I am at work right now) I tried system restore and it didn't work, so I reset the pc to a fresh install of windows 10. I get it to install the drivers ( version 15.11) that windows 10 chooses, but when I try to start a game ( not very graphic intensive League of legends.. ) it black screens on me. I was getting checkers across the screen before the reset of the os, now I'm just getting black screens.
I tried to update to the most recent Amd driver version and up too two versions back, but then windows freaks out. It tries to do its " startup repair" thing and I can't even get into safe mode, I end up reinstalling the Os to try again.
I can't really say it's the heat, ( I live in las Vegas) but could it be a power issue?
umi Thank you for the reply, I will try some of the stuff I have read in this thread.
Thank for you time again everyone,
It could be a hardware issue, but please try the steps below to see if it resolves the issue.
1. Run the Windows self check tool to check scan and automatically repair any corrupt files found in Windows. There is a guide on how to do it here. What you need to do is run an elevated command prompt (elevated means run it as administrator) and type SFC /SCANNOW. This will generate a statement indicating if errors were found the Operating system and if they were fixable.
3. Update Windows. Install all available critical, recommended and optional updates. Often Netframework and Visual C are included in the recommended or optional updates Windows provides. Windows should always be fully up to date before installing our drivers!
4. Use DDU to sweep the system of AMD drivers.
5. Install the latest Crimson 16.6.1 drivers once the above is completed.
Many graphics cards R9 xxx died after installing the new Crimson drivers ... Strange, isn't it. :-/
My laptop intel i5 not switchable + amd radeon hd 7650m 2GB i update Crimson then issue
started black screen on windows logon. then i clean the hard-disk ,installed new OS windows 8,8.1,10
when i try install any official stock catalyst or crimson while installing display driver issue with
black screen crash and some time mouse is showing flickering .....
i try many version not able install stuck or freezing..after only way hard shutdown
then i try uninstall amd display driver on safe mode then it able to login normal with Basic display adaptor.
now unable to install any amd display driver for GPU it useless
finally i find the fix for my laptop Amd HD 7650M 2GB + i5 intel
a.black screen issue when logon and b.installation black screen
1st try with hdmi / vga connected second monitor then try to install or try to turn on still issue persists
it a hardware failure gpu dead.try below step it worked for me.
1. need "air heat gun" and "heat thermal paste".
2. disassemble laptop fully.
3.remove heat sink with fan from motherboard clean the fan dust if your have and now able to find chip process and AMD Gpu in laptop.
4.read the chip which one is GPU and take "air heat gun" blow up-to 5 to 10 min then wait to cool 30 min don't touch chip.
5.put the thermal paste on both intel proccess + amd gpu chip place the heat sink carefully.and assemble your laptop
6. turn on install any catalyst driver .i have install 15.11 catalyst (don't install crimson driver it burn your GPU)
it working fine for me...
this very risk i have sony laptop the company is closed . i have no choice to service. i done by myself.
it help someone keep try any dead gpu and black screen issue