5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2018 9:57 PM by kingfish

MSI GX70 - AMD A10- 5750M(Radeon HD8650G) + Radeon HD8970M

kodac
      Tell me please. Download Automatically Detect and Install Your Driver it determines that the driver best . 
      The licensed program to update drivers Driver Booster 3 determines that it is possible to install the driver from krimpson ,
      but as soon as both drivers are updated to 2 graphics cards laptop starts to restore the system as it can not be turned on .

• Re: MSI GX70 - AMD A10- 5750M(Radeon HD8650G) + Radeon HD8970M
          ononeemas

I've got endless black screen after I tried to upgrade video driver to the last version. Interesting thing is official amd driver site with proper settings for your laptop showing you 16.x driver by june, but when you try to install, it shows you that driver isn't supported by this laptop. So I tried to install and got this black screen. System loading further only after loading bios and restart pc from bios. After it you can restore your pc, for me it was like fresh install, all my software were deleted... This sucks, I need new driver because Overwatch can't see discrete cart, it's known issue on laptops with 2 video cards, and need new driver to solve it. Looks like there was no new driver for gx70 3be for months. Actually search on amd site showing that new driver is suitable for gx70 3be, but it's not when you try to install it.

oniskb

You can't use the latest drivers because of the APU, its legacy even though you have the mobile 8970 or R9 290 your APU is an older architecture then the dedicated card.

APU is VLIW + GPU is GCN combo and both need the same drivers, so you can't install legacy for the APU and the latest for the GPU.

So no DX12 for MSI GX70 or the GX60, you are stuck with legacy drivers.

Link below, I opted for the 15.7.1 due to when installing the Crimson beta, it only installs the APU driver and not the GPU.

Legacy

AMD will not help you as they will point back to the manufacturer of the notebook to provide you the drivers for it.

MSI, don't think they support the notebook any more as they didn't even bother to update the drivers for windows 10.

ruggyrat

2018 with the newer version of Win 10 v1709 you can get both drivers to work. Do not install any AMD drivers as you will get BSOD. What you want to do is basically, change the drivers update in the Device Manager. Do the exact steps and that works for me even after I reset window 10 with wipe out. This is to get the external monitor to work.

Steps

1. Type Device Manger in Cortana

2. Get into AMD HD8970M >> Driver tab >> Update Driver >> select Let me pick from a list... >> Select R9 M290X >> OK...

3. Get into AMD HD8650G >> Driver tab >> Update Driver >> select Let me pick from a list... >> Select HD8650G v15.201 >> OK...

4. Reboot.

That's it. I am fine playing War Thunder,  Far Cry 3 fine.

Hope it helps

kingfish

Here is the way to find the driver for your laptop graphics. Laptop graphics update...How to

Download Drivers

Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers

You only install one driver..take your pick

Screenshot_1.png