2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2016 9:28 AM by boltronics

firejail always segfaults with AMDGPU-Pro, and other AMDGPU-Pro questions

boltronics

I have a Ubuntu 16.04 install just for beta testing the new AMDGPU-Pro 16.20.3 drivers with my R9 285. My machine runs a triple-boot setup with Ubuntu 14.04.4 for fglrx comparisons, and Debian testing for AMDGPU/Mesa comparisons.

In each environment I have Steam installed in a firejail container environment, because I have hundreds of games installed through Steam and don't want untrusted code getting access to other parts of my system. Firejail works very well for this purpose in Debian with Mesa and Ubuntu 14.0.4 with fglrx. It also works well with Steam in Ubuntu 16.04... until the AMDGPU-Pro stack is installed. When AMDGPU-Pro is running, Steam starts segfaulting on launch, and I can see the following from dmesg -T:

[Mon Jun 13 17:24:38 2016] show_signal_msg: 27 callbacks suppressed

[Mon Jun 13 17:24:38 2016] steam[4449]: segfault at 0 ip 00000000f660e59b sp 00000000ffa6613c error 4 in amdgpu_dri.so[f442c000+254e000]

If I don't use firejail, Steam works fine with the AMDGPU-Pro stack, which is to be expected since Ubuntu 16.04 is supposed to be supported.

Note that I am using the firejail package that comes from the Ubuntu repositories:

$ apt-cache policy firejail
      firejail:
        Installed: 0.9.38-1
        Candidate: 0.9.38-1
        Version table:
       *** 0.9.38-1 500
              500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/universe amd64 Packages
              100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
      $ 

Also, my understanding is that the AMDGPU-Pro drivers are supposed to be ready for the Radeon RX 480 launch. Is that still on schedule? I know that Techland (for example) refuses to support AMD drivers while they are still in beta, so Dying Light runs horribly slow (basically unplayable) due to being unoptimized. Also, will Crossfire be supported on GNU/Linux when the 480 launches, or is that still ages away? I'm guessing two 480s in Crossfire would beat a GTX 1080 for some use cases, but that's pointless to consider if AMD can't or won't provide an ETA.

Also, any word on FreeSync support? I brought a FreeSync-capable monitor well over a year ago, and am still waiting to be able to use that technology. Had no idea it would take this long to be supported. Thanks.

• Re: firejail always segfaults with AMDGPU-Pro, and other AMDGPU-Pro questions
          solakkasilakka

I have the same issue with my R9 Nano, but i'm not using firejail or any other sandboxing software.

Steam works fine in fully open source drivers, but with PRO, it just segfaults after a random amount of time from launch.

• Re: firejail always segfaults with AMDGPU-Pro, and other AMDGPU-Pro questions
            boltronics

Since the RX 480 has now launched, I should follow up with some answers I was able to find (mostly by observing the phoronix.com threads).

AMDGPU-Pro drivers have launched on schedule... kind of - the drivers still have the beta label - and they are only supported by AMD for the RX 480 (although are known to be compatible with the R9 285, the Nano, Fury X and other hardware).

It sounds like Crossfire (in the sense that the drivers support multiple GPUs for OpenGL) may never be supported under GNU/Linux with modern hardware, which is sad because it doesn't look like OpenGL will ever be going away. However if games use Vulkan, they'll still be able to manage both graphics cards.

No word from Techland as of yet, however judging from my personal experience and the bug reports over at freedesktop.org, AMDGPU-Pro still has a way to go before a stable release will be ready. At least, something close to being as stable as the Nvidia driver, or even the old fglrx driver.

No word yet on FreeSync support. I get the impression from various Phoronix articles that we won't see anything like that this year.