4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2016 11:01 AM by amdmatt

4 monitors on r9 290x

mrapan

Problem

I have a setup of three monitors and one hdtv, before I've used a hdmi-splitter for the hdtv and one of the monitors. But after a driver update a few weeks ago the Radeon settings no longer lets me set the hdmi with the hdmi-splitter as sound output as "your monitors does not support sound", I see why it might have problems recognizing a device with thru the splitter, but as long as it did output sound, the tv did receive it and all was fine - until the update.

So I got a DP->HDMI cable to connect the hdtv and that way get the sound working as well, but that doesn't work at all, it doesn't even know something is connected. But from what I've read on forums, it should be possible to run 4 monitors on the card.

Any suggestions to get my setup working with sound will be very much appreciated! But running on the older drivers does not feel like a good long-term solution.

TL;DR Sound doesn't work thru hdmi-splitter anymore, and hdtv on DP->hdmi is not working at all.

Current Setup

R9 290x ConnectionCableMonitor
      DVIDVI -> HDMISamsung Syncmaster 24"
      DVIDVI -> HDMISamsung Syncmaster 24"
      HDMIHDMI -> HDMI

Samsung Syncmaster 24"

DisplayPortDisplayPort -> HDMISamsung 42" HDTV
        • Re: 4 monitors on r9 290x
          amdmatt

I'm not sure how you had this working before, but your 290x can only support a maximum of two passive display connections (HDMI/DVI) so the third monitor and beyond must use a native displayport connection, or a displayport - HDMI/DVI active adapter.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              mrapan

Thanks for your response! I will order a active dp->hdmi adapter and hopefully get the tv running on that, with sound!

Before I tried to have the tv connected at the same time as all three monitors, it was setup just as the top three rows in the table. But I got tired of switching cables to get a movie on the tv, so first I got an active HDMI-splitter, which worked for awhile, until it could no longer send the sound to the tv. And I wasn't very satisfied with mirroring one monitor to the tv as the splitter did.

I am now back to running just the three monitors on dvi/dvi/hdmi without the splitter until I've got the active dp->hdmi adapter. I will get back with results.

mrapan

I ended up using a hdmi->hdmi from the motherboards internal GPU to the TV which worked like a charm. Was unaware that I was able to use it together with an external card, but after enabling IGPU Multi-Monitor in BIOS it worked out nice.

So I never got to test it with an active adapter, but I saved a few bucks using the internal GPU as I already had an hdmi cable. And I'm only using the TV for movies and to get sound to output on my surround system (connected to TV only), so no need for the better performance I probably would have got from using the discrete GPU with an active adapter.

1 of 1 people found this helpful