1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 10, 2016 5:45 PM by kingfish

Bosses computer since update has been really wonky. Cannot roll back drivers, cannot restore system, screen resolution keeps resetting to 800x600. Help!

sfk

The latest Radeon update slammed games with the display drivers. These are work computers, we never ever use the computers for gaming. So, boss deleted games, but now the entire computer has gone wonky. I restored the system to before the last update but unfortunately the restore date was after the video card update. It temporarily fixed the screen resolution but when restarted it loops to say it has to restart to finish the update, no matter how many times the computer is restarted this dialog box reappears. I rolled back the driver. Thinking it might be a driver contention, I disabled the AMD driver and enabled the Intel driver and that seemed to solve the constant restart issue, but the screen resolution is still off and programs open up super sized.

I had boss run Kaspersky and Defender looking for any virus that could be causing (the system registers as clean.)

I have gone into display settings and reset the resolution multiple times.

The computer is a Toshiba Satellite P50-BBT2G22 15.6" and we are running Windows 7 (we will not update to Windows 10).

Intel (R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.50 GHz. RAM 8.0 GB System Type 64-bit OS. AMD Radeon R9 M200X Series. Driver date 5/20/2016. Driver version 16.200.1013.0.

Any help would be most appreciated.

• Re: Bosses computer since update has been really wonky. Cannot roll back drivers, cannot restore system, screen resolution keeps resetting to 800x600. Help!
          kingfish

I sounds like you are missing some Windows Updates. Go to WU and make sure you have all the necessary updates installed, including the relevant 'Optional' and 'Recommended' updates which include the .netframeworks and C++ upgrades. This must be done before installing any AMD driver.

Your laptop is equipped with switchable graphics. In order to update the AMD driver, the Intel graphics must be the current version. Go to this Intel link, and  use the Intel Driver Update Utility to find the latest graphics driver for your laptop. Download and save it to your desktop. 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx

Download these AMD drivers to your desktop.

Desktop

Now delete the Intel drivers from your computer using 'uninstall a program' in the computer control panel. Uninstall the AMD drivers from your computer using the 'uninstall a program' in the computer control panel.

NOTICE IMPORTANT:

Computers with Intel processors select 'express' uninstall all AMD software including the install manager.

Computers with AMD processors custom uninstall the AMD graphics driver and Catalyst Control Panel only.

Reboot.

Screenshot_5 (3).png

Note: All anti-malware/anti-virus/anti-anything should be disabled during driver installation.

Now install the Intel drivers first....reboot. And lastly the AMD drivers....reboot.

NOTICE: If you do not want raptr/gaming evolved installed with your new drivers, select 'custom install' and uncheck the box for "gaming Evolved".

If you are having issues with the normal installation of the Mobility drivers, use the clean install method , making sure you install the latest Intel drivers.