1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 22, 2016 1:55 AM by itgrunt

Windows 10 driver update BSOD

darkdestry

I am currently using Windows 10 Build 10240.

My graphics card is the R9 280x.

During the update to windows 10, I had several issues with the AMD drivers for Windows 10. Whenever I install it, it would blue screen and crash.

The solution at that time was to back date the driver to 14.6 and use the Windows 8.1 drivers. It has worked since that and had no issues.

However, after deferring the November 1511 Windows update (Build 10586) for about 6 months, I decided to update. During the install process, for some reason, it would blue screen with the error:
      SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (atikmdag.sys)

After the bluescreen reboot, it would rollback me to my previous build and I would have wasted 3 hours of my life.

Things I have tried:
      Updating graphics driver to 16.150.2211.0 (21/3/16) (I know this is awhile back. But if it hasn't been fixed after 9 months, it dont think it will be fixed now.)
      Unplugging my graphics card and updating windows (This would then cause a BSOD by some other program (igdkmd64.sys))

After spending 24 hours with windows support(8 BSOD and 4 attempted updates later), I decided that they can go screw themselves and came here for help.

Am I missing something?

• Re: Windows 10 driver update BSOD
          itgrunt

Setup, Windows 10 on a computer with 2 monitors. 1st is a Monitor that uses VGA, 2nd is a 28in TV that uses HDMI.

Since going to Windows 10 and since Pre-Patch of Legion and with hours of troubleshooting including changing out ram and fresh installs of Windows 10. Nothing seemed to help.

Finally I hit on it, if I play World of Warcraft on my TV that uses HDMI, it BSOD.
          If I play World of Warcraft on my Monitor that uses VGA.. no issues at all.

FYI for those having the same issue.

I am planning on getting a RX 480 later but, until then this works for me.