8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2016 8:00 PM by techguy

AMD Zen, Intel Kaby Lake delayed to 2017

black_zion

AMD, Intel Duking It Out In Processor Ring During CES 2017? | Digital Trends

Thanks to the potential delay, manufacturers won’t be able to begin mass producing products based on Zen and Kaby Lake until November or December. The PC market isn’t expected to pick up until the first quarter of 2017 anyway, and these products should help ignite some interest and give the market a needed boost. However, as always, take these launch windows with a grain of salt, as AMD and Intel have not released official launch plans to the press as of this writing.

Guess this means Windows 7 and 8.1 will not be receiving support by Microsoft for Zen...

• Re: AMD Zen, Intel Kaby Lake delayed to 2017
          kingfish

O no...this can't be right!! See we were told this is definitely not going to happen > AMD tweaks desktop CPU lineup, teases future Zen-compatible AM4 platform

techguy

This is a COMPLETELY false claim by Digital Trends so don't buy into the foolishness.

Summit Ridge (Zen core) desktop CPUs will ship in q4 of '16 as AMD has stated numerous times including last week when they introduced Bristol Ridge 7th gen APUs.

The best means to convince Microsoft that they must deliver a proper Win7-8 patch for Zen core products is to file a formal complaint with the FTC online. It takes less than 10 minutes and you should file your complaint NOW so they can act before Zen products hit the stores.

GettingStarted - FTC Complaint Assistant

zionhalcyon

I've seen you cross post this in a few places now.  Frankly, I think you are grossly over-reacting, and no, I don't think that filing an FTC complaint will force Microsoft to do anything... I think that's like filing a police report because some neighbor's kid looked at you funny...

techguy

I've seen you cross post your beliefs that Win10 is in your opinion a great O/S and that people should stop opposing the illegal and unscrupulous acts of MS in forcing people to upgrade to an insecure, spying Win10 O/S. Those of us who live in a democracy have a choice and we are voting with our wallets. The FTC is charged with prosecuting companies who violate consumer protection and anti-trust laws. They've prosecuted MS numerous times before.

I'd suggest that if you stop preaching to the choir. People are free to choose whatever O/S they desire. MS is going to be in court for a long time with the massive illegal enterprise PC updates they performed. The fines are sure to be in the hundreds of billions as they should be. Those who chose not to use Win10 far outweigh those who desire to use it and no coercion by MS is going to force us to use Win10.

You're not converting anyone to the religion of Win10.

zionhalcyon

It's hardly a religion, and I'm hardly trying to convert people. I'm just tired of the Windows 10 hysteria .

I am willing to bet that you use Google, potentially use Facebook, or at least browse the web since you are here. All your comments about Microsoft and privacy concerns, well guess what? All those things you hate Microsoft for, all the other companies and their products that you use are doing it too. Which makes the arguments about privacy very hypocritical and selective.

I do agree people should get to use whatever they want. But likewise, I expect a degree of knowledge rather than negative groupthink when it comes to their options. At this point, peoples reasons for not using Windows 10 how to become a caricature and a spiel. It's usually littered with emotional arguments and not rational ones.

And frankly, I can't say I'm crazy about someone going after one of AMD's Partners.

techguy

There is no hysteria or "group think" on Win10 other than the reality it's another lousy O/S from MS and it now has encrypted reporting in addition to geographic tracking and other nefarious code that should not ever exist. MS is using coercion to force people to migrate to a poor O/S that Win7-8 users including most enterprise simply refuse to move to. Most people with a technical clue would not want to be spied on by MS or anyone else nor would they desired to be tracked. The fact that MS has violated U.S. law for unauthorized access to MILLIONS of PCs, is one more reasons why MS is not to be trusted. The constant SPAM from MS to update browsers or O/S is also in violation of U.S. anti-SPAMMING laws. MS has enough money to "buy all the justice they desire". Well they did have up until they screwed over many companies and automatically updated their PCs to Win10 without ANY authorization what so ever. Now MS is going to find out that they can't always buy the "justice" they desire. MS will also be mandated by the judicial system to offer proper patches for Zen cored processors and Intel's products thru Jan. of 2020. This reality check will change MS's POV for the better.