7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2016 9:01 PM by techguy

Is there a diagnostic program I can use to check my CPU?

vxv_cobra_vxv

I have been having problems with  video and games stuttering and initially thought it was a memory issue. So I ran MemTest86 to check.

Well long story short, I cant get through the tests on even one of my 2 sticks without it freezing up (yet showing Zero errors and always freezing at different tests in the series).

One  consistency, however, is whenever I try to run the tests on more than one of my CPUs cores (either simultaneously, sequentially or randomly... ), the program freezes almost instantly.

The one time it started to run was when I told it to run on all 8 cores at the same time, and then it gave me a list of errors because it said it couldnt start any of the cores numbered 2-8, and ran for like 16% of the first pass tests.

System Specs:

Mainboard =Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

CPU = AMD FX-8350 (8-core processor 4.0GHz)

Memory = G Skill Ripjaws- 8GB DDR3 (x2 initially... then pulled one of the 8GB sticks and even swapped them with the same results on both or either stick)

Video = MSI Radeon R9 270 (x2 running crossfire)

HD = Western Digital 1TB (SATA)

Pwr Supply = 750 Watts

Audio = Onboard

OS = Windows 10 Home edition

Any help would be greatly appreciated

• Re: Is there a diagnostic program I can use to check my CPU?
          amdmatt

As Black Zion mentioned, Prime95 is a good choice, as is Aida64.

techguy

Make sure that you are using Memtest86+ version 5 or later. Did you buy the 16GB RAM as one matched kit or two individual DIMMs? If as two individual DIMMs you will likely need to slow down the timings. Contact your RAM maker for assistance. If you can't run Memtest86+ V5 or later with zero errors, that must be fixed. Some RAM doesn't work well with certain mobo models. Your mobo maker may have a newer BIOS that resolve issues with 8GB DIMMs or the specific brand/model DIMM you are using. You may also need to manually set the slower timings in BIOS for proper RAM operation.

Prime 95 is often used to test the stability of a PC under full load. OCCT also has a less stressful but useful stress test. There isn't any freeware that I am aware of that tests just the CPU and nothing else. It is extremely rare for a new CPU to malfunction unless there is physical damage to it typically from installation or shipping mishandling.

vxv_cobra_vxv

actually no, I bought the 2 sticks of ram separately (well actually one I already had to send back  and the company replaced it because it was bad...) but no they are not a matched pair... but they are identical in every other way.

I was told when I asked about that for this particular memory that the gain in performance would be negligible by buying a matched pair and yes this brand/size of memory is recommended by the MB's manufacturer.

One thing I have noticed is that since removing one of the memory sticks (and I get the same result no matter which one I remove...) the stuttering and lag is waay waaay less than when I was running both sticks of 8GB DDR3... wonders if that may be an indication of a bad memory bus or some other part of the main board because thus far the  CPU has checked out ok on tests Ive run...

techguy

The RAM doesn't need to be bad to have the incorrect timings. The timings specified for one DIMM or one matched DIMM Kit is for that specific DIMM or Kit only not for multiple DIMMs or matched Kits. When you add two DIMMs or two DIMM Kits that were not one matched Kit, the RAM timings specified are too fast for the CPU to read/write to all address cells of the RAM because the timings were intended for only one DIMM or one DIMM matched kit. Your RAM manufacturer should be able to tell you what the correct RAM timings need to be when you use two individual DIMMs that were not a matched set. You are not looking for performance, you are looking for reliable data transfer. Every time there is a data "miss or error" the system has to slow to correct the "miss" and then continue on processing data.