12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2016 8:01 PM by techguy

AMD needs to release am4 motherboards and zen cpu before july 31

nescute

due to microsoft windows10 final FREE upgrade. i have an win8.1 i bought before unopened and id like to build my new pc with am4 motherboard and zen cpu. if the board wont be released before july31 i dont know i think ill look into an intel board just to keep up on the lastest hardware and to keep my rig updated and for the purpose of gaming in many years

• Re: AMD needs to release am4 motherboards and zen cpu before july 31
          black_zion

And you can't install Windows 8.1 and downgrade to Windows 10 now because...?

techguy

AMD has no control over the release of AM4 mobos by independent mobo makers but you can expect them to start shipping soon as desktop Bristol Ridge APUs use the same AM4 mobos as Summit Ridge desktop CPUs.

The Summit Ridge (Zen core) desktop CPUs will ship in Q4 of '16 as AMD has indicated all along. Don't believe the speculation posted by online publications looking to increase their page hit count for increased advertising revenues.

The solution to Microsoft's blackmail of Win 7-8 O/S users is to file a formal complaint with the U.S. Federal Trade Commission regarding MS's failure to provide a proper patch to use AMD CPUs on Win 7-8. There are lawsuits being filed for MS's illegal updates of enterprise PCs to Win10. MS has painted themselves into a corner and they have no choice but to relent and provide a patch for Win7-8 users to run Zen core processors.

It would behoove ALL Win7-8 users to file an FTC complaint NOW so that they can stop MS's blackmail actions.

GettingStarted - FTC Complaint Assistant

1 of 3 people found this helpful
                nescute

I understand,  thank you for sharing, i will show support on it

zionhalcyon

People seriously need to knock it off with the Windows 10 phobia.  Its really a nice OS, and for as much as has been made of privacy concerns, there isn't anything they do that Google, Facebook, Twitter, Apple, etc already doesn't.  MS just has been a favorite target for a while now.

Plus, MS and AMD partnered together and some of AMD's tech from Mantle is in DX12 in Windows 10 - or did you think async compute came out of thin air?  The stuff about Windows 10 is overblown - its worth the upgrade for those who don't have an unnatural fear or revulsion to Microsoft.

black_zion

And the fact that Windows 10 will A) download updates and upgrade when it wants irrespective of if you have a low data cap and internet speeds which do not meet broadband criteria and irrespective if said updates and upgrades will cause errors and BSODs, B) uninstall legitimate programs if Microsoft so desires it to, C) "accidentally" revert all file associations to Microsoft programs, and D) serve ever increasing number of ads to you which you are reasons to fawn all over Windows 10?

Without DirectX 12 no "gamer" would have a reason to think about upgrading to Windows 10, and compared to Windows 7 and 8.1 Windows 10 brings nothing revolutionary to the table, nothing compared to the leaps between 98 and XP, and XP to 7. Actually, that's wrong, it's revolutionary in the fact that instead of Microsoft relying on retail and OEM license sales for revenue, it moved to advertising, subscription, and Windows Store fees for the bulk of its revenue.

As long as A, B, C, and D remain unchanged, Windows 7 will remain on my system, and will be the most dominant Windows OS, and will keep Windows 10 from reaching one billion devices, and will keep Microsoft looking like a villain from a Tim Burton Batman film, somewhat evil, somewhat hilarious.

zionhalcyon

In other words, you don't like that Microsoft went the Apple OS X route?

Really though, let's break it down.

Microsoft does "A) download updates and upgrade when it wants irrespective of if you have a low data cap and internet speeds which do not meet broadband criteria and irrespective if said updates and upgrades will cause errors and BSODs"  because in the past, a lot of the Windows 7 users such as your self rarely if EVER install the security updates, which is why so many systems end up compromised and then Microsoft gets blamed for having security like swiss cheese, which is what was happening before Windows 10 - so seems to me, damned if they do, damned if they don't.  If end users on the whole are too ignorant or arrogant to keep their PC up to date, I'm all for MS stepping in.

You claim Microsoft can "B)uninstall legitimate programs if Microsoft so desires it to." Let's tone down the hyperbole there chief.  It's not the gestapo datamining your PC to put down programs left and right.  Windows 10 is not Steve from Another One Bites the Dust.  Windows 10 does uninstall programs it flags as incompatible during MAJOR UPGRADES ONLY.  Its to keep blue screening and crashes to a minimum, and you can just reinstall the program, and its fine.  If you want a factual, non-histrionic accounting of why Windows 10 does this and when, here's a good site: Windows 10 May Delete Your Programs Without Asking

Moving on to C) "accidentally" revert all file associations to Microsoft programs, known bug, and not malicious intent in the least.

and finally D) serve ever increasing number of ads to you - this happened once during one update to me, and it was patched out the next day.  Then again, go on just about any internet site, and there is no shortage of ads getting in your way, to the point where browser sites (Edge included mind you) are all talking about disabling flash player and moving on from it.

So while you are getting emotional and painting MS and Windows 10 as the evil empire, at the end of the day, its just a nice piece of usable software, and like all pieces of software, it's downright silly to expect it to always be 100% bug free.

barleyguy

A) To turn off automatic updates, go to services, microsoft update, stop service, set service to manual. Note that highly critical security patches get downloaded via a different mechanism.

B) Same as A, really. If you don't let it do upgrades, it won't uninstall anything

C) Bug

D) To disable ads, just remove all the active tiles from the start menu and turn off "suggestions". Makes the start menu look basically like Windows 7.

Granted, most people won't go to the trouble to do these things, which is what Microsoft is counting on for revenue.

Back on the topic of the thread, I really want an AM4 motherboard and a chip to go in it until Zen comes out. I'll buy one as soon as good ones are available. (My case is Micro ATX.)

techguy

Last time I checked consumers in democracies were free to choose what O/S they desired to use not what O/S Microsoft wants them to use. Every consumer who purchased Win 7-8 has the right to be able to use that O/S for all hardware delivered to the marketplace through Jan. 2020. MS has a legal obligation to provide appropriate patches to support all Windows based hardware up to that date.

The fact that Win10 has personal tracking software, encrypted undisclosed reporting to MS along with numerous documented security issues far beyond Win 7-8, means many consumers will never update to Win10. With all the lawsuits now being filed by enterprise for MS's illegal updating of enterprise PCs to Win10, MS will be in court for the next 10+ years and pay out hundreds of billions in damages for their illegal and unscrupulous abuse of consumers and enterprise.

If you like Win10, great, enjoy it. For those of us who appreciate our personal privacy and do not chose to be manipulated or exploited by MS, we''ll skip Win10 and continue to file online complaints with the Federal Trade Comm. for the illegal actions of MS.

- FTC Complaint Assistant