divenity

GPU: Powercolor 7990

CPU: i7 4770k

Motherboard: Asus Z87a

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz

PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800W

Operating System & Version: WIndows 10

GPU Drivers: Latest Crimson driver, 16.6.1

A couple of days ago my PC started having black screen crashing issues, it would get a few seconds into the desktop and then blackscreen, after several reboots to the same issue I assumed it was a driver problem, rebooted into safemode (in which the PC ran perfectly fine) and removed the drivers with DDU. After rebooting normally the PC ran fine with no drivers installed, I left it alone for a good 20 min to make sure, and then proceeded to reinstall Crimson, at the point which the display normally flashes black for a couple seconds, it stayed black for 10 minutes before I was forced to hard power down the system and tried again.

I installed teamviewer and tried again, hoping I could get through the install through teamviewer, but as it turns out the black screen was a hard freeze, and teamviewer lost connection. I then proceeded to grab a clone of my HDD from a few months ago where everything was working perfectly, same issue. After going back to my primary drive I proceeded to attempt installing every single windows 10 driver that has been released, they all caused a black screen lockup at the same point...

I installed a different GPU, an r9 285, and the computer started working flawlessly, drivers installed without issue.

Things I have tried since then to get the 7990 working:

-Updated Motherboard Bios

-Flashing factory VBios to the card (both GPUs, I didn't forget that part).
      -Using secondary Vbios set on the card (has switch on back)

-letting windows update install the driver (win update is set to never install anything without my permission, so I know there wasn't some conflict there).

-Disabling windows driver signature enforcement before driver install.

-Checking for anything in win update, everything is up to date.
      -reinstalling .net Framework/visual C++
      -attempted driver install with monitor plugged each different output on the card (2xDP, 2xDVI, 1 HDMI) one at a time, to check to make sure the output I had been using didn't just suddenly stop working.
      -The card has been in and out of the PC several times, so re-seating the card in the PCI-E slot has been confirmed not to fix it.
      -Attempted installing into another PCI-E slot, same issue.

-Using CCleaner to get rid of leftover registry entries between cleaning with DDU and installing new drivers.
      -Ran malware/virus scans, completely clean.

I haven't put the card in another PC because I don't have one to put it in.

I have checked the power output on my PSU, it's functioning normally.

I'm flat out of ideas, what I really want to know is what could cause a card to work perfectly fine up until the point where the drivers are installed, and then completely cease to function? That is the part that makes absolutely no sense to me. At this point I am about 99.9% convinced that this GPU is dead/dying.

• Re: 7990 black screen issue.
          amdmatt

It does sound like your GPU could be faulty. Have you tried our last Catalyst 15.11.1 Beta driver?

• Re: 7990 black screen issue.
            maxhardy

My laptop intel i5 not switchable + amd radeon hd 7650m  2GB GPU i update Crimson then issue

started black screen on windows logon. then i clean the hard-disk ,installed new OS windows 8,8.1,10

when i try install any official stock catalyst or crimson ,DDU,amdcleaneruntlity,registry cleaner.

while installing display driver issue with black screen crash and some time mouse is showing flickering .....

i try many driver version not able install stuck or freezing..after only way hard shutdown

then i try uninstall amd display driver on safe mode then it able to login normal with Basic display adapter.

now unable to install any amd display driver for GPU it useless...

i have no found any solution in forums .

finally i find the fix for my laptop  Amd HD 7650M 2GB + i5 intel

a.black screen issue when logon and b.installation black screen

1st try with hdmi / vga connected second monitor then try to install  or try to turn on laptop still issue persists

it a hardware failure gpu dead.try below step it worked for me.

1. need "air heat gun" and "heat thermal paste".

2. disassemble laptop fully.

3.remove heat sink with fan from motherboard clean the fan dust if your have and now able to find chip process and AMD  Gpu in laptop.

4.read the chip which one is GPU and take "air heat gun" blow up-to 5 to 10 min then wait to cool 30 min don't touch chip.

5.put the thermal paste on both intel proccess + amd gpu chip place the heat sink carefully.and assemble your laptop

6. turn on  install any catalyst driver .i have install 15.11 catalyst  (don't install crimson driver it burn your GPU)

and enjoy

it working fine for me...

this very risk i have sony laptop the company is closed . i have no choice to service. i done by myself.

it help someone keep try any dead gpu and black screen issue