3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2016 3:59 PM by atlasminor

FX-8300 BSOD

joepro87

Hey all, I need some help. I have the FX-8300 NOT overclocked (3.3Ghz), 16GB of DDR3, my mobo is the Asus M5A97 R2.0, and the Sapphire Radeon R9 390 Nitro. My power supply is the Corsair RM850i, and I'm dual booting Win10 and Linux Mint 17.3. I've been getting BSOD's more and more frequently lately, and, for the most part, it is the CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT error. Although there have been a few others, this one is the most prevalent. While tweeting @AMDCare, they had me change some BIOS settings, although I can't remember exactly what. I know one of them has to do with the power state of the processor? C6 disabled? Something like that.

Anyway, that helped for a couple days. However, so far today I've had 5 different BSOD's within a 30 minute time frame. I need help guys. I can't afford a new processor. If there is any advice you guys can give, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Oh, one other thing, I am running version 16.5.3 of the Crimson software, but that shouldn't have any impact on it, should it?

• Re: FX-8300 BSOD
          techguy

There are any number of issues than can cause the BSOD. The first thing I would do is run Memtest86+ V5 or newer for at least 6 hours or overnight if possible. If any issues are shown then I'd manually set the RAM timings in the BIOS specified for your RAM on the package. If your 16GB of DDR3 was NOT purchased as one matched package of 16GB, then you will likely need to manually set slower RAM timings in the BIOS. If there are still issues remove 8GB DDR3 and test again with one DIMM in each channel or with only a single DIMM. Disabling C1E, C6 and Cool and Quiet may improve stability.

Depending on how long you have been running your PC without any changes you might need to clean the fans including the case and PSU and reseat the cables and power connectors which can develop intermittent connection over time.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              joepro87

I've run the memtest overnight, and my memory is fine, not a single error. I disabled C1E, C6, and Cool and Quiet, and I'm still getting the issue. About 2 months ago I cleaned out all the fans and heat sinks, when I installed my new GPU. Just at a quick glance, everything still seems to be relatively clean. Any further ideas?

atlasminor

If on windows-10, there is known issues for AMD/ATI were well known security solutions are cuasing major Mitigation issues resulting in BSoD's

If you track down the process's that are being blocked, or give Windows Defender a shot and see if the BSoD clears up, i would start looking there.

I myself have run into these mitigation issues and personely heavy on security when it comes down to it. (MiM) + ARM/ TPM support is supposed to be a main focuse of windows-10.

As you can see how well that has turned out, still malware goes deeper into kernel levels and when it comes down to it, Microsoft is going to chose security over gaming.

What can be lucky about is you still can boot to desktop, hopefully you track the problem down before windows-10 runs enough boot signatures checks and fully shuts down the machine. Literally. Its happened to me, immidiate RMA to unbrick something that driver issues had caused. You will see no lights or hear no fans when this happens.

If your seriously seeing BSoD's you might seriously consider rolling back to previous drivers or to a point were no issues will  occure.

Hope this helps, and hope you do gt this worked out. If your interested in any of the 1-2 hr Webinares video's explaining exactly what your experiencing, just post back here and ill send you the links.