8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2016 1:16 AM by hellfiremaga

amd radeon HD 6470m with ati radeon HD 4200 drivers for W10

hellfiremaga

hello guys

I've got an old HP pavilion G7-1141SF with an AMD radeon HD 6470m and an ATI radeon HD 4200. I was on win 7 without any problem and I've wanted to upgrade to win 10 for some software. The only problem is the graphic driver for the AMD 6470 m which simply don't work. Windows see it as a 7400m, maybe that's a part of the problem?

I don't really need it but it's necessary for the sleep mode which is really useful for me.

I've already tried all this :

Install every driver :

16.5.3 and 16.3.2 from Desktop

15.7.1 and 16.2.1 from Legacy , Legacy and Legacy

Turn off the AMD HD 6470m

Turn off the ATI HD 4200

I've tried some old drivers but nothing works

note that the 4200 works fine with almost every drivers and is able to works with Windows update. Too bad it doesn't enable the sleep mode,, even if the other card is off :/

If you have any ideas, please let me know cause I'm out of ideas now.

Thanks in advance

• Re: amd radeon HD 6470m with ati radeon HD 4200 drivers for W10
          kingfish

What processor/APU do you have?

kingfish

And you have switchable graphics?

Your graphics are not supported for Win10. Your best bet is to revert to the OS it was designed for.

The following Discrete AMD Radeon™ Graphics products support up to WDDM 1.1 and DirectX® 10.1:

• ATI Radeon™ HD 4000 Series /ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4000 Series Graphics
                • ATI Radeon™ HD 3000 Series /ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3000 Series Graphics
                • ATI Radeon™ HD 2000 Series /ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 2000 Series Graphics

These graphics products must be installed using display driver version: 8.970.100.9001. This driver is provided as a courtesy and only available via Windows Update. Please enable Windows Update and allow it to detect and install the appropriate driver.

NOTE: ATI Radeon™ HD 4000/ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4000, ATI Radeon™ HD 3000/ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3000, and ATI Radeon™ HD 2000/ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 2000 Series Graphics reached peak performance optimization on October, 2013. No additional driver releases are planned for these products.

hellfiremaga

revert to W7? That's not really an option

I have no idea if it's a switchable or not and I don't really care. All I know is that the 4200 works fine and not the other. By the way, the 4200 works with every driver I tried and can be updated with windows update

kingfish

"By the way, the 4200 works with every driver I tried and can be updated with windows update". Ok..if you say so.

AMD Radeon™ Software Support for Legacy Graphics Products

The last operating system supported using these AMD drivers was Microsoft Windows® 8 with the AMD Catalyst 13.1 driver package, which can be downloaded from the AMD Driver page : http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

Driver support for these products under Windows® 8.1 and Windows® 10 is only available via Windows Update. Please enable Windows Update to allow it to automatically detect and install display driver version 8.970.100.9001

The 6xxx series will not work in your computer with Win10.

hellfiremaga

I've already tried something like that but I've tried again this morning just to be really sure. With AMD catalyst 13.1, none of my graphic works but Windows find two update for this drivers. I don't know if I'm cursed or something but none of them worked, Windows only display an error.

I've try to install AMD catalyst 15.7.1 driver for W10 (without deleting the 13.1) and then, do an update of both drivers and it worked ! So now, both of my cards use a 15.201.xxxx drivers instead of the 15.200.xxxx of catalyst 15.7.1. None of them works any better and still no sleep mode for my laptop

Since the 6xxx seems dead, I tried again to unactivate it and again, no sleep mode. I also checked the catalyst manager and most options are missing, which makes me think that it doesn't see any of my drivers

amdpete

Both the 7400M and 6470M use the same driver path as far as I am aware so what it is detected as shouldn't matter in regards to GPU displayed in the device manager.  The 74xxM had support for different DDR memory from what I remember is the main difference.  So I can't really see that being the cause of the issue.

kingfish

If it's a switchable graphics laptop, which I believe it is...both graphics must support the OS (Win10). The 6xxx series is legacy and there are no drivers for the 4xxx series except for the basic driver Microsoft installs. Switchable graphics will not work. The laptop is too old and HP does not support it for Win10. To have a fully functional laptop, use Win7.

Driver Support for AMD Radeon™ HD 4000, HD 3000, HD 2000 and older Series

Article Number: GPU-624

ATI Radeon™ HD 4000/ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4000, ATI Radeon™ HD 3000/ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3000, and ATI Radeon™ HD 2000/ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 2000 Series Graphics reached peak performance optimization in October, 2013.

No additional driver releases are planned for these products.

The last operating system supported using the AMD drivers was Microsoft Windows® 8 with the AMD Catalyst 13.1 driver package, which can be downloaded from the AMD Driver page : http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

Driver support for these products under Windows® 8.1 and Windows® 10 is only available via Windows Update. Please enable Windows Update to allow it to automatically detect and install display driver version 8.970.100.9001

If your system is equipped with one of these products, you may consider the following options:

• Continue using the last operating system that fully supported your graphics card.
                          • Upgrade to an AMD graphics product that provides Windows® 10 support. For information about resellers and product availability, visit: http://shop.amd.com
                            • NOTE: Before upgrading ensure that your system meets the requirements of the graphics adapter, such as:
                              • Motherboard with compatible graphics card slot
                              • Adequate power supply unit to handle the complete system power requirements
                              • Display with compatible connections
                        1 of 1 people found this helpful