21 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2016 8:35 AM by wyang13

Switchable graphics problem - Dedicated GPU always in use.

pan4o16

Hello,

This is my first time posting here so I am going to do this right! I searched here for a solution, but I didn't find anything.

My System:

• Dedicated - AMD Radeon R9 M280X
        • Discrete - AMD Radeon R7
      • Laptop System
        • Asus N551ZU
      • Operating System
        • Windows 10 64bit, build 1511
      • Driver version installed
        • Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.3.2
      • Display Devices
        • The laptop's 1080p display
      • Motherboard
        • AMD Bolton, AMD K15.1
      • APU
        • AMD FX-7600P Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G
      • RAM
        • 8 GB

My issue:

So recently I have been having a strange problem every time I turn on/log on the laptop.Some time after the boot (10/15 minutes) the dedicated GPU (Radeon R9) activates "by itself" and starts working, thus making the laptop extremely hot (85C and above on the GPUs). At that time the laptop otherwise operates normally - no BSOD, no problem with software or games. The only problem is that it is extremely hot, because the dedicated GPU is in use all the time. I have tried forcing the power saving graphics in Additional settings, but the Dedicated GPU remains active and very hot and after a restart the problem still persists, even tho it is set to "Force Power saving graphics". If I use an application that is set to run on the Dedicated GPU in this 10/15 min window after start up the card turns on and off fine, but after it turns on by itself the only way to turn it off if to unplug the power cable so the laptop runs on battery for a sec and after I do this the dedicated GPU starts working normally. I have tried reinstalling the drivers (with GPU driver uninstaller in safe mode)  and use the latest beta drivers but the problem still persists. I am suspecting some process is using the R9 card, but when I start monitoring in Additional settings all the processes are shown as using the power saving graphic. I am using Open Hardware Monitor to monitor the GPU's activity. I have scanned multiple times with different software and my system is not infected with viruses, or at least it doesn't seem that way.

I hope that you guys can help me solve this annoying problem.