4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2016 7:59 PM by techguy

AMD 9590fx unstable unless under-clocked

phxl

Hello having issues with my CPU. If I don't have the turbo disabled, CPU under-clocked to 4.6Ghz along with my CPU/NB frequency 2200Mhz and HT link speed 2400Mhz and memory frequency at 1833Mhz my system will freeze as soon as i start any application or game. I've spent countless hours/days over the last year trying to figure out how and why. I've tried every combination of settings i can think of, under/over voltting, enabling/disabling spread spectrums and the like, changing load line calibrations and so on and so on. where am i going wrong? my rig as follows.

CPU, 9590FX

Mobo, Crosshair-v Formula Z (2201-BIOS)

RAM, Avexier Core 2x4GB(2133Mhz)

GPU, Fury-X

PSU, Fractal Design Newton N3 1000W

SSD, Kingston Savage 120GB

HDD, toshiba(vanilla) 1TB

Cooling, EK Evo block, EK DDC3.2 pump, 140 Rad,140 Noctua industrial PPC 3000RPM fan, Mayhems Ice-Dragon NANO Fluid.

As you can read I have a good cooling solution so temps are not the issue.

All and any help, ideas tips will be appreciated.

Thanks.

• Re: AMD 9590fx unstable unless under-clocked
          amdmatt

It sounds like you might need to tweak the bios settings in order to gain stability, are you comfortable doing this?

If so i would start by updating to the latest Motherboard bios and testing stability. If you have issues, please try disabling all Power Saving functions in the bios, Cool n Quiet, C1E, C6 etc. Test again.

If the same problem continues you may need to look at increasing voltages.

fuzzysb

I have the FX9590 your cooling solution is not good enough period. you have a very good pump which is circulating the water very fast through your very small 140mm radiator all you are doing by doing this is heating the water up fast under load as there is not enough surface area to cool this down.

In my experience, anything less than a 240mm radiator is just not enough. I until very recently had a 240mm Radiator with two 200mm blowing air over this radiator, and it was stable at stock speeds and settings without adjustment when the ambient room temps were 27 deg or less. this processor plain and simple produces insane amounts of heat under heavy load and if you cant dissipate it you are completely stuck and will get freezes.

If i were you i would check your temps as they will be fine idle but under heavy loads will be hitting 74 deg or over... my CPU will freeze consistently at 74 deg. the System should switch off at a CPU temp of 80 deg but mine freezes way before that.

I do a lot of flight simming, and now have mine stable at 5ghz with turbo disabled at 64 deg with an ambient toom temp of 34 deg as we are having a bit of a mini heatwave and my PC is in my conservatory and that temp is with air conditioning on full

but to achieve this i had to upgrade my cooling to have both an alphacool 420mm and Alphacool 240mm radiators each with 4 Fans 2 x 200mm and 2 x 120mm and with an Alphacool D5 Pump, Thermaltake CL-W081 reservoir/pump combo and related cabling in total holds just under 2 litres of fluid.

all this is possible with a ThermalTake Urban T81 which was the only reasonably priced case that could take these radiators without sacrificing too much space. that is in total nearly £500 just for the Cooling and the Case.  in hindsight i wish i just dumped the processor and gone for an i7.....thats next on my to buy list .... as the single core performance that i need is woeful..same as just a core i5. i am waiting for the DX12 Multithreaded games that will make the FX9590 shine but they just aren't about... and i think i will be on the Core I7 before that happens.

if i had to start again i would have dumpled the 9590 long ago. do yourself a favour and dump it before you go all out doing the cooling i am doing to run what essentially has the perf of a Core i5.....

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              techguy

The first thing I'd recommend is running Memtest86+ V5 or newer for 6-24 hours. If you get errors then the DRAM timings need to be manually set in the BIOS. If you did not purchase the 16GB as one matched DDR3 kit, then the timings will need to be slower than what is listed on the DIMMs. You can also remove all but one or two DIMMs to see if that makes any improvement.

For the FX-8000 or FX-9000 series CPUs to run reliably every setting in the BIOS must be 100% correct in addition to having a mobo designed specifically for the 220w FX-9000 series CPUs. Then you need a HSF or other cooler that can keep the full load internal CPU temp below 61C. Most mobos when run in "auto" mode do not set all of the BIOS parameters correctly for the FX-8000 and FX-9000 CPUs. I recommend manually setting the vcore and it's stability options, the RAM timings as listed on the DIMM or package and several other important BIOS settings. (See below). Applets like OCCT will record and graph the vcore voltage, CPU frequency, temp, etc. while under load to show if any problems exist.

The settings below come from months of 24/7 testing with the FX 8-core processors. They work for my FX and many other peoples FX 8 core systems. There are no extreme or unsafe settings.

This is what I would recommend:

1. Disable C6, C1E and Cool & Quiet - this will NOT hurt anything, they are just power saving modes

2. Manually set the CPU to the specified default vcore shown for your specific CPU

3. Manually set the DRAM timings listed on the DIMMs - assuming they were purchased as ONE DIMM kit and NOT two individual DIMMs. If bought as two independent DIMMs you likely will need slower timings to prevent issues.

4. If the DIMMs are 1.5v increase the voltage to 1.55v

5. Set CPU NB to 1.25v and HT to 1.25v-1.28v

6. Set Hyper transport frequency to 2600 MHz.

7. Set Northbridge frequency to 2400 MHz.

Run the system in Manual mode - NOT "auto" mode and set the CPU multiplier to "23.5"

1 of 1 people found this helpful