9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2016 8:36 PM by dalles

Radeon R9 280x Black screen and to hot

jp25

A little while back I was cleaning out the pc off dust and was even trying to remove the video card, wich Did not work and during that time it did hang a bit to the side in its socket from its own weight, now I hope this was not the thing to damage the card. But recently the cards gets near 70 degrees when it usaly never overs over 65 during gaming, and after that the entire screen goes black and the pc freezes up.

This never happend before and even after reinstalling the driver it still happend, and this time even when he was at 61 degrees? what can cause this as I realy hope the vidoe card aint broken

• Re: Radeon R9 280x Black screen and to hot
          amdmatt

We'd like to help, please provide more information.

INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION

From what you have described it does not sound like an overheating issue, as 70c is still a low temperature for a graphics card. 

jp25

Update: I read that downgrading to 16.2.1 would do it for some but i just installed that and ran WoW and after a few minutes i got all strippes on my screen and the pc froze still

• AMD Graphics Card
                • AMD R9 280x
              • Desktop or Laptop System
                • Desktop
              • Operating System
                • Windows 10 64bit
              • Driver version installed
                • Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.2.1
              • Display Devices
                • Philips 222E (1920x1080@60Hz)
              • Motherboard
                • Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. G1.Sniper H6
              • CPU/APU
                • Intel Core i5 4690K @ 3.50GHz
              • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
                • coolermaster 700W Gold
              • RAM
                • 16GB

So far i had these problems with Xcom2, WoW, Rebel galaxy. Thought I havent tested many other games

amdmatt

Okay, that could be an indication of a bad video card. Please try the steps below and if you get the same problem, i would try the GPU in a different system to see if the same issue occurs.

1. Run the Windows self check tool to check scan and automatically repair any corrupt files found in Windows. There is a guide on how to do it here.  What you need to do is run an elevated command prompt (elevated means run it as administrator) and type SFC /SCANNOW. This will generate a statement indicating if errors were found the Operating system and if they were fixable.

2. Make sure you have installed Microsfot NetFramework and Visual C++ 2013. These should be installed already, but they can become damaged, need repairing or reinstalling.

3. Update Windows. Install all available critical, recommended and optional updates.

4. Use DDU to sweep the system of AMD drivers.

5. Install Catalyst 15.11.1 Beta once the above is completed and test to see if the same issue occurs.

jp25

I did all the steps you suggested and it still did not help me, given I only tested it with wow and againt i gotten strippes on the screen and nothing else. IN the end i did a reinstall off my pc and  atm installed as the video card driver is 15.30.1025.1001 and a few more numbers. even after the reinstall and this older driver it still freezes on me with WoW as the test game.

Update: I did try the 15.11.1 driver again and it seemed to go oke for a few min more then before, but result was the same as the screen flickers and then its just gray strippes

Update 2: I updated to 16.3.2 and played WoW for a little bit without the screen flickering or the pc freezing up, still need to test it more though

dalles

This may be a silly reply,but you said that you tried to remove your card,couldn't,and it hung sideways a bit in the slot. There is a tab on the top of the slot,on the far right.You have to sort of squeeze that tab up and pull the card straight out. Maybe your card is a bit loose in the slot now? I would remove it completely and put it back in to be sure.

jp25

Well mabye i could try that Dalles, but i was sure the card was in fine, Also another update , last night the video card seemed to run fine on 16.3.2, but today I started WoW again and the screen was flickering again. realy dont get this as it seemed oke late last night.

Update: tried the update 16.6.1 and that also did not last long

dalles

I had all of the usual problems with my R9380x ,the black screens were terrible. I did a few things,the 15.11.1 driver worked as long as I used the Saphire Trixx app to control my fans,put the power limit at 20,and added an extra slot fan next to my card. I also changed the TDR from the default to 8 seconds.Right now I am trying the newest driver using all of the same settings,has been going since last night .I play Wow and have had no issues so far.But it has been a random thing and I am not calling it a fix just yet, crossing fingers.