6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2016 8:32 PM by techguy

MSI 990FXA GAMING & FX9590 FREEZING

panossingular

Hello Guys!

One month ago, I purchased the MSI 990FXA Gaming and the FX9590. I also used 16GB Kingston HyperX Beast, Corsair AX1200i, Sapphire Radeon R390, Kraken x61 and one noname 120mm fan @ 1800rpm, directly over the VRMs of this MB for extra cooling. No case, it is build on my desk. From day one I experienced freezing under heavy load (gaming). It totally freezes and I have to reset it. Sample temps:

CPU Idle: 15-20C

CPU Full Load:32-49C

MB Mofset Idle: 40C

MB Mofset Full Load: 55C

Northbridge Idle: 32C

Northbridge Full Load: 39C

I tried all the stuff I could think of plus everything I found on google. I replaced most of the hardware with working ones from a friend's PC. The same. Win7 x64, was reinstalled 3 times, BIOS is the latest version as are all the drivers. No AV is used. As I found out the hard way, this is a known problem. This CPU has a lot of issues with some MBs, regardless that it is stated in their compatibility lists, as it is in MSI's/my case. MSI couldn't find a solution for me. In their official forum they said I need either to replace the MB (with a completely different one) or to get another CPU (smaller one). Unbelievable.

I would like to get AMD's opinion on this matter. I have a few questions I would like to get answered, because I do not understand what is going on. Here we are:

1. Is the 9590 getting too hot? Are the power requirements too high? Can it be considered a design flaw? I can see on a lot of other forums, they are making jokes of the 9590.
      2. Why is this CPU stated on MSI's compatibility list for the 990FXA gaming, if it is known to cause problems? How did they get the verification from AMD that their MB is OK for this CPU?
      3. Why hasn't AMD contacted MSI so that they remove the entry from their compatibility list?

I would like to thank all of you in advance.

• Re: MSI 990FXA GAMING & FX9590 FREEZING
          abi

hey, MSI has the following information on theyr site:

"Due to the high TDP, please be noted there are limitations while using those CPU:(i.e. special thermal required..

FX-9370(FD9370FHW8KHK, 4.4GHz, 8C, L3:8M, 220W,rev.C0,AM3+)

FX-9590(FD9590FHW8KHK, 4.7GHz, 8C, L3:8M, 220W,rev.C0,AM3+)"

MSI motherboards are known for theyr good looking, sound quality and ethernet, but in my opinion always weak OCs with weak power phases.

Try to get a refund that MOBO doesnt seem to be the best for your cpu.

panossingular

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately this is not good enough...at least for me at this point. I went through all of this with MSI and with my local PC shop. The "TDP" warning is stated even on ASUS' website for this CPU and most probably on ASRock's also (I haven't checked). And this is exactly my point: they warn about a high TDP but at the same time the CPU is stated as compatible...but it just isn't. I mean, look at what I did: I saw the warning and that it is compatible. I purchased the CPU, the Mobo, the Kraken x61 and one dedicated fan for the Mobo...and still have problems. Tell me the truth...what do you think, wasn't I right to do so? Did I do any mistake? I followed MSI's and AMD's suggestions. I was always very supportive with AMD, but this is unbelievable. I'm still waiting for the answers to my questions.

abi

hey, i understand and agree with everithing you said, but 990FXA gaming has 6+2 power phases and is incredibly similar to the 970 gaming pwm. And for the 970 gaming max TDP is 200w. In my opinion MSI placed a better heatsink and said now can go to 220w... im just used to see 8+2 power phases minimum for this cpus.

Im running na FX8350 on a gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 and for me with LLC on medium i need 1.44Vcore for 24h stable 4.7ghz. I dont know that MSI board, but does your CPU really need the 1.5v from stock to run stable?

techguy

AMD specifies 61C as the max user temp for the FX-8000 CPUs and this can also apply to the FX-9000 series CPUs. The note on MSI, Asrock, Asus etc. mobos about cooling the VRM circuit is due to the very high TDP of the FX-9000 series CPUs. If you don't provide sufficient cooling to the VRM circuit it will throttle the CPU frequency and could eventually burn itself out. With proper cooling there are no issues.

There are at least 10+ FX-9590 threads on "freezing issues" which cover most of the common issues with the FX-9000 series CPUs being unstable. The whole idea of this website format is to prevent having to answer the same question over and over when it's already been asked. As such the info. below which has been previously posted in several FX-9590 "freezing" threads may help you. There is a systematic process to try and resolve the many possible BIOS setting issues if the CPU and VRM are NOT overheating under heavy load.

The first thing I'd recommend is running Memtest86+ V5 or newer for 6-24 hours. If you get errors then the DRAM timings need to be manually set in the BIOS. If you did not purchase the 16GB as one matched DDR3 kit, then the timings will need to be slower than what is listed on the DIMMs. You can also remove all but one or two DIMMs to see if that makes any improvement.

For the FX-8000 or FX-9000 series CPUs to run reliably every setting in the BIOS must be 100% correct in addition to having a mobo designed specifically for the 220w FX-9000 series CPUs. Then you need a HSF or other cooler that can keep the full load internal CPU temp below 61C. Most mobos when run in "auto" mode do not set all of the BIOS parameters correctly for the FX-8000 and FX-9000 CPUs. I recommend manually setting the vcore and it's stability options, the RAM timings as listed on the DIMM or package and several other important BIOS settings. (See below). Applets like OCCT will record and graph the vcore voltage, CPU frequency, temp, etc. while under load to show if any problems exist.

The settings below come from months of 24/7 testing with the FX 8-core processors. They work for my FX and many other peoples FX 8 core systems. There are no extreme or unsafe settings. If you have confirmed the CPU/VRM are not overheating under heavy load and Memtest86+ shows no RAM issues, then you might want to try the BIOS settings below.

This is what I would recommend:

1. Disable C6, C1E and Cool & Quiet - this will NOT hurt anything, they are just power saving modes

2. Manually set the CPU to the specified default vcore shown for your specific CPU and confirm via OCCT or similar that the vcore is not ramping up or dropping down when under heavy load - Both high and low vcore will cause freezing.

3. Manually set the DRAM timings listed on the DIMMs - assuming they were purchased as ONE DIMM kit and NOT two individual DIMMs. If bought as two independent DIMMs you likely will need slower timings to prevent issues.

4. If the DIMMs are 1.5v increase the voltage to 1.55v

5. Set CPU NB to 1.25v and HT to 1.25v-1.28v

6. Set Hyper transport frequency to 2600 MHz.

7. Set Northbridge frequency to 2400 MHz.

Run the system in Manual mode - NOT "auto" mode and set the CPU multiplier to "23.5"

panossingular

Greetings.

First of all thank you for this detailed answer. Second, I apologize for asking this question again. I found all the previous posts, even on other 3rd party forums, but I wanted some fresh ideas and not restart old threads. Your recommendations are great, but you see, this IS exactly what is wrong...: ALL those things should have allready been integrated into AMD's CPUs and/or all the manufacturer's Mobos for them. I mean, I never saw officially that I will need a HSF cooler (P.S.: I have a dedicated fan, directly over the VRMs)...or, what is it with all the settings? Compatible MBs should have them allready there or at least, they should be able to auto configure, as long as the CPU is stated as compatible. At the very least they should warn everybody that those MBs/CPUs are only for advanced users. My point is NOT the solution, but WHY still, years after the release of those CPUs, there are this kind of problems. I remember myself always disagreeing with Intel fanatics. Always speaking for AMD, but now, I'm a little bit disappointed. I bought my MB and the CPU online from different shops. For anybody who knows about RMA, he knows what that means. Anyway, I'm talking with MSI RMA at the same time and they are working for a BIOS based solution for me. A beta BIOS. I'm still currently testing, but I will post back here how it goes. Thanks again for all your efforts.

techguy

Mobos are made to support a wide variety of CPU models. The FX-9000 series are factory overclocked CPUs. As such the "auto" settings of the BIOS are not necessarily the correct settings for the FX-9000 CPUs which run at very high frequencies vs. the non-overclocked 125w model CPUs. When mobo makers write their BIOS they use basic industry specifications. Most of the time if the mobo is properly designed, engineered and manufactured, the basic BIOS settings work OK for typical CPUs.

When you overclock a CPU you are running it under extreme conditions, not under std. industry specifications which have a much wider tolerance for BIOS settings. There is not one perfect set of BIOS settings that works for all overclocked FX-8000 or FX-9000 series CPUs. The settings I suggest are from MONTHS of seven day per week 24 hour testing. Mobo makers are not going to spend such time for a few specialized overclocked FX-9000 CPU models. AMD tests all of their CPUs before shipment to make sure they function correctly. It's up to the PC builder to have the knowledge or pay someone who does, to set up the BIOS settings for maximum PC stability. Building a P95 stable PC takes more than just assembling the hardware components even with normal non-overclocked CPUs. Many people falsely believe you just install the components and everything works perfectly. That simply isn't true in most cases.