9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2016 6:48 PM by techguy

safe/optimal temperatures for the FX 8350

zavio

I'm trying to figure out a couple issues with my CPU. I bought it about 4 years ago and I'm noticing that it seems to be running pretty hot. Idle it sits at about 25-30 but under load it's 50-61 and the fans are almost deafening to sit next to.

Is this safe? Should I reapply paste? It's hard to find decent info on this CPU!

• Re: safe/optimal temperatures for the FX 8350
          black_zion

Thermal max for FX series CPUs is 61°C, ideally you want to keep it under 55°C. If it's been 4 years and you haven't done routine cleanings on your case for dust, especially the heatsink, it's packed full by now and is causing the elevated temperatures.

techguy

The max 55 C temp applied to older model AMD Athlon/Phenom model processors. It does NOT apply to the FX series CPUs which are architecturally much different from earlier models which were sensitive to temps above 55 C. All FX processors can run to 61c with complete stability. Temps in the mid 60's however is where the 125w or 220w FX processors will start to show intermittent errors. The 95w TDP FX CPUs typically have max user temps >70C.

techguy

If you haven't cleaned your CPU, PSU and case fans in four years that could definitely be the issue. Most quality TIM will last four or more years but it's worth checking if you're going to be cleaning the fan.

There are many millions of FX-8350 CPUs in use. Mine is OC'd to 4.6 GHz. and has run bullet proof reliable, 24/7 for many years. The temp applets don't usually read lower temps accurately on the FX processors but Core Temp, AIDA64 and HWiNFO tend to be pretty accurate in the 60C-70C range.

FX-8350

zavio

I have recently cleaned my case out, I do it every month - 2 months.

Mine will rarely reach 60c so I'm not all that worried about the temp now, it's just the sound of that fan that is killer. Would it be worth investing in another heatsink?

black_zion

It would. A closed loop liquid cooler like the Corsair H80i will give years of silent performance. With my Corsair H105 even with ambient temps of 80°F(27°C) and with fans spinning at an inaudible 800-900RPM, my temps under gaming load rarely hit 50°C. Socket AM4 should keep the same mounting system and footprint so when you upgrade you can just carry it over.

A liquid cooler will also allow you to move to a tiny mITX setup as well without compromising performance.

techguy

Many people find the small OEM fan noise to be annoying. There are many inexpensive HSFs that will cool your CPU with almost no noise at all. The link below shows you many of the popular HSFs, how they perform, the fan noise at maximum speed which rarely occurs because they have so much more cooling capacity than the tiny OEM HSF. You can buy an inexpensive and reliable HSF for ~$30. I do not recommend liquid coolers in any PC as they have documented coolant leak issues that can and have destroyed many a PC hardware. In addition many liquid coolers are thermally inferior to a low cost HSF that can never leak and damage your PC.

The Coolermaster Hyper 212 series HSFs offer great value and cooling capacity. Make sure to read the installation review and check the dimensions to insure it fits your particular mobo/case. Read the AMD cooling results as some HSFs perform differently on an AMD CPU vs. an Intel CPU due to differences in heat spreader surface area.

Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Heatsink Review - FrostyTech.com

Newegg sells these for less than $30.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100008000 50001333 4814 600035298

1 of 2 people found this helpful