2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2016 2:52 AM by mumerus

CPU overheat when playing games.

mumerus

Not sure where this belongs to but since this involves gaming, I thought this might be an appropriate place for this topic. If it's not please direct this topic to another forum. Thank you in advance.

So I have a AMD R390 graphic card and my cpu is an i7 4760K, and this is my first build. My problem is that whenever I play games such as Rainbow Six Siege, Battlefield, Dark Souls 3 and League of Legend (don't ask why..) temperature of my cpu increases. When I asked around, someone said that I should OC from the gpu instead of the cpu, I don't know what that person means by that since I didn't set anything up to OC in the first place.

What I want to ask, is there something I can do to lower my cpu temperature but, as someone suggested, do a little more work on the gpu instead? Or is there some sort of settings or program I don't know about that I should use?

• Re: CPU overheat when playing games.
          vabchgent

What are you using to cool the processor . You need a half decent cooler on that processor. Also what TIM(Thermal interface material are you using)   Its not a space heater but it is a gaming processor. What temperature are you getting at full tilt and what temps are you expecting. The games you mentioned are probably CPU dependent meaning they rely on the processor more then the GPU . Hence the heat output goes up on the CPU.

• Re: CPU overheat when playing games.
              mumerus

I'm using a Corsair H100i GTX, and I guess the TIM I'm using is the one that's packaged with it, maybe I need to use a better thermal paste?

Also I talked to one of the intel support staff and they told me that one of the problem is that the voltage setting in the BIOS is possibly not set correctly, so I might have to check on that shortly..