12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2017 10:54 AM by crashprone

AMD Radeon R9 200 series (270X) crashes

cjmelland

I have an AMD Radeon R9 270X 4GB GDDR5 graphics card. Whenever I play the game Overwatch I get the error message "Display Driver stopped Responding and has recovered" and another text box pops up in the middle of the screen saying "Overwatch: Your rendering device has been lost! Application closing!"

My graphics card is like 3 years old but has always worked fine. I recently upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 Enterprise 64 bit.

PC Specs as follows...

Win 10 64 bit OS

Desktop

AMD Radeon R9 200 series

- Driver version - Crimson Edition 16.3.2

MSI Z170A LGA 1151 DDR4 Titanium Edition Mobo

Intel i7-6700K 4.00 GHz 8M Processor Cache 4 LGA 1151

850W Power Supply (Thermaltake)

32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600MHz RAM

I do use dual monitors. One is a 24 inch BenQ and the other is just a 32 inch Panasonic HDTV. I've also monitored my GPU and when pretty much idle, it runs at around 47C and when playing, I've seen it spike to about 71C. I've tried updating the drivers and everything for the graphics card too and have also cleaned the registry using Ccleaner and also scan my computer via Spybot S&D and Malwarebytes as well.

Is it actually possible that my graphics card just isn't taking to Win 10? I'm doubting it but I've been wrong before. Like I said, it's a 3 year old card and that's just the length in time I've bought it off the shelf. I know it's a decent card but do I need to upgrade to a different card? Any input would be highly valued!

ALSO! I've went in the graphics registry folder and have already tried the TdrDelay at 8 hexadecimals (SP?) but to no avail. I'm so very lost and not really in the mood to drop around $300 for a new card... but at the same time wouldn't really mind getting an updated one...

I can stream Netflix just fine and stuff like that.

• Re: AMD Radeon R9 200 series (270X) crashes
          amdmatt

Please try the steps below to see if it resolves the issue.

1. Run the Windows self check tool to check scan and automatically repair any corrupt files found in Windows. There is a guide on how to do it here.  What you need to do is run an elevated command prompt (elevated means run it as administrator) and type SFC /SCANNOW. This will generate a statement indicating if errors were found the Operating system and if they were fixable.

2. Make sure you have installed Microsfot NetFramework and Visual C++ 2013. These should be installed already, but they can become damaged, need repairing or reinstalling.

3. Update Windows. Install all available critical, recommended and optional updates. Often Netframework and Visual C are included in the recommended or optional updates Windows provides. Windows should always be fully up to date before installing our drivers!

4. Use DDU to sweep the system of AMD drivers.

5. Install the latest Crimson 16.5.3 drivers once the above is completed.

thefrobel

Same Issue w/ R9 270x, Similar Situation

W10 x 64 Pro Fresh install

Fresh install of .net and c++

Fresh install of 16.5.3

Still get random multiple display driver crashes / recoveries using a multitude of program types. Video players (WMP, VLC), 3d games (Stellaris, WoW), flat games (solitare, etc), Photoshop, Chief Architect, etc...

el3ktr0

Same issue here too!!

I have a MSI r9 270x Gaming, since i update to windows 10, (in august) my pc ramdomly freezes, the screen goes black, or i iget a "amd driver stop working and has recovered successfully" message. .After 6 moths triying all the drivers amd was launching and a lot of fix from this forum and internet i never could fix it.

Problem with catalyst 15.7.1 in windows 10 This is my original post in august.

So i Make a fresh install of windows 10, 3 days ago, and all worked great for 3 days, today i was in youtube and the screen goes black again.

This not happend if i have the microsoft driver display windows 10 install, just with the the catalyst/crimson.

So its pretty clear to me, there is a problem between amd drivers and windows 10 because i try my gpu card under windows 7 (for one year) and always run smoothly.

Also there are a lot of messages in the forum from people have the same card r9 270 or 270x with the sames issues but no solution.

Please AMD Help us!!!!

kingfish

Disable hardware acceleration in your browser.

cjmelland

Hey, so took liberty in doing what kingfish had suggested and holy jeez man, it works! So far! I played a few games and even went as far as upping the game video quality to high (default was medium but that's neither here nor there) and even tried to add more stress to the graphics card but watching people stream via Twitch.tv and play on high settings at the same time on my second monitor. I've done everything that amdmatt had said previous to posting the main post of mine (just forgot to mention it, I'm blonde, leave me alone ). I honestly couldn't have told you what my next step would have been if this wouldn't have worked. Thanks! Knowing me, I would have dropped like $500 on a graphics card. At least that much. Typically I would have gotten the message after a game or two, but I'm honestly not considering myself out of the danger zone yet. Next I'll play for like an hour or two to see if it still holds up. If it does, I'd consider disabling hardware acceleration the real fix. To those who are having similar problems, I'd try doing that step for sure. I had to Google how to do it but I'm telling you, it's super easy. I appreciate the help, kingfish

Hardware acceleration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note: I use Chrome and have done this by going in the settings and by clicking on the advanced settings at the bottom. Under System, uncheck the box that says use hardware acceleration. You'll need to then restart your browser, no big deal. I hope this helps others.

el3ktr0

Thats not work for me, i already try in chrome, edge and firefox.:(

But this not only happen in youtube,  it freeze ramdomly in diferent pages, and even in deskopt watching movies.

thefrobel

How does hardware acceleration for web browser affect other games / programs?

thetek9

I'm having the same issues too! Radeon R9 270X here as well. It will happen in Steam games and Blizzard games. I even have it happen just browsing the web. I've tried just about all proposed solutions without any success. The error gives no further logging to help troubleshooting.

I'm at my wits end on what to do to solve this. I don't even know where to go to for assistance.

crashprone

Same crashing going on here.  Black screen. No BSOD.  It just goes black.  It's happened since first install. 

It happens when I'm web browsing or not.  Often I'll just "click" on something and boom.

Yes, I've disabled hardware acceleration WHERE I CAN (browser, flash) but who knows where else some programmer includes it without asking permission.  I notice Flash activates it *by default* upon updating, so I have to go through all my browsers after an update. 

Yes, everything's updated.

Funny thing - it NEVER crashes when I'm playing a high-def game and the fans are going at it, etc.  I could play a game for hours and hours with the fans humming away - no problem.  If I just played games I'd be FINE.

As a programmer, I don't think it's saying much that one, common thing (hardware acceleration) alone should instantly flat-line the whole system. 

I have another PC I built about the same time with a NVidia card.  Rock solid.  NEVER crashes.  WTF?

I'm planning to get a NVidia card and swap it out to make sure it's nothing else in the system, but this thing cost about as much as the CPU and MB together. 

Very disappointed.  I'll never buy AMD video again.

crashprone

Follow up.

I have to be honest that since running the DDU utility (clearing out all prior registry entries) I'm experiencing no crashes, although another user reported a couple, but I didn't see them. 

It would be nice if the driver update installations performed this kind of "cleaning"...

It's a sad commentary about a large computer company that makes its users depend upon the generosity of a third party to provide a free utility which fixes the large company's problems. 

This doesn't seem to be a rare, isolated problem.  The fix (as it is so far) was straightforward.  AMD should take responsibility to insure its products work for its customers rather than make the customers solve AMD's problems.