2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2016 1:51 PM by sirjohnthompson

Sapphire Radeon NITRO R9 380 4GB - When running games based off of DirectX, those applications are constantly minimized

sirjohnthompson

I am having major problems with my card (a Sapphire Radeon NITRO R9 380 4GB DL-DVI-I / DL-DVI-D / HDMI / DP Dual-X OC Graphics Card 11242-13-20G)

The card was fine for the first couple of days after I first installed it. It did run very hot and loud but it was running games smoothly. But then when it was taxed it began to show the following strange behavior: the screen would go black for a few seconds and then the screen would come back with the sound from whatever game I was running playing in the background, and the in-game cursor still replacing the regular mouse cursor, but with the game not responding and needing to be closed via task manager. This seems to coincide with memory clock spikes.

I managed to fix this problem by disabling ULPS and increasing voltage to the card but that left me with a lesser version of the problem in which games constantly minimize themselves. The message in the Windows Event Log is as follows: A request to disable the Desktop Window Manager was made by process (4)

Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon NITRO R9 380 4GB DL-DVI-I / DL-DVI-D / HDMI / DP Dual-X OC Graphics Card 11242-13-20G

Drivers: Tested every version 15 and 16, currently running 16.5.3

Issue: DirectX games somehow interact badly with the Desktop Window Manager causing constant minimization. OpenGL games, movies, and browsing the internet all function fine, but even non-taxing very old DirectX games cause minimization and seem to cause memory clock spikes. I have tried disabling aero etc. This user has a similar problem [Help] R9 390 driver keeps crashing and now I'm sad : AMDHelp

CPU: Amd FX-8350 8 Core 4.0/4.2 Ghz Processor AM3+ 16MB Cache 125W Retail Box

Motherboard: Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 AMD760G mATX AM3+ 1PCI-E16 1PCI-E1 1PCI DDR3 SATA2 DVI HDMI GBLAN Motherboard

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1 650W 80 Plus Gold Power Supply

Leaning towards an RMA right now but I would prefer to avoid the hassle. Any help is appreciated!

Edit: Upon testing some more I have resolved the minimize error in some DirectX games by totally disabling dwm.exe but now some OpenGL games are minimizing without giving any message in the Windows Event logger. Curiouser and curiouser...