1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 2, 2016 3:40 AM by amdmatt

15.12 causing PowerPoint to crash

randyc

Hello,

I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 5555, with the APU A10 8700P. I was having issues with artifacts on the driver that came with the computer out of the box (unfortunately, I forgot to note the driver version). I used the AMD driver detect utility and updated the driver with the whole suite that included Radeon Software version 15.12 . The artifacts went away and the performance seemed smoother. However, when I would use Microsoft PowerPoint and go to the Design tab (strangely, only the design tab), the program would crash every time.

I uninstalled the driver and the issue went away. However, I use a second monitor for work, and without the software suite the second monitor is not detected. I uninstalled 15.12 and installed 15.11 and the problem is no longer there. I have googled for others experiencing this issue but could not find any.

Thanks,
      Randy C.

Here is the Windows Event Viewer information tied to the crash:

Faulting application name: POWERPNT.EXE, version: 16.0.6868.2067, time stamp: 0x57398d5b

Faulting module name: amdocl.dll, version: 10.0.1912.5, time stamp: 0x5661cdfe

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0023506b

Faulting process id: 0x1c90

Faulting application start time: 0x01d1bb8592f4f417

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\POWERPNT.EXE

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\amdocl.dll

Report Id: 248b88e9-2779-11e6-8123-a8a795947264

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Update: So the problem came back and I'm not sure why. At this point I am not even sure it is an AMD issue,  a Windows issue, or something else causing this crash. However, after some digging I realized that the PowerPoint installation did not even have the amdocl.dll to call on in its (Office16) directory. I decided to copy the amdocl.dll from the windows install folder and place a copy in the powerpoint in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16.

And it worked! Rest assured I will make another update if this fix is not permanent.

Message was edited by: Randy C