4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2016 2:33 AM by tommyboyblitz

MSI Radeon R9 390x low fps in most games (GTA5, simcity,rocketleague and others)

tommyboyblitz

Hello, i know this has been asked many times before but i have tried all the solutions to no avail. Also i cant find any answers about freesync.

As above i am getting low fps in most games and i have done a side by side comparison to my brother near identical machine and i am getting less than half his fps even though his specs are lower. ie: rocket league he was getting 120fps and i was getting 40-50fps on the same network on the same server driving side by side.

My system:                                                  My Brothers:

AMD FX 8350 8 core                                   Same

MSI 990fxa Gaming motherboard                MSI 990fxa -gd80

16gb vengeance ram 1866hz                       8gb vengeance ram at 1600hz

MSI Radeon R9 390x 8gb                            Radeon R9 280x

Acer XF270HU 1440p 144hz monitor          Acer none freesync 1440p normal monitor

750watt psu                                                  same

My system should be performing better than his yet in all the games mine is struggling where his is doing well. I have tried the usual changing drivers and many many drivers. Disabled freesync etc. messed around with the settings in the game, borderless etc with no change.

Its getting to the point where i am considering going to Nvidia after 10+ years of using AMD. This is not the only problem i have had with drivers, when i first got my monitor i had to back date a couple of months just to get it to run and it was glitchy with screen flickering.

Please help me, i need a solution and please get your act together when it comes to drivers, more testing and less updates??

Thanks

Tommy

• Re: MSI Radeon R9 390x low fps in most games (GTA5, simcity,rocketleague and others)
          tommyboyblitz

I am sorry, I will hang my head in shame, I love you AMD and didn't mean the things i said....

Well i solved the problem, after reinstalling windows, updating windows, reinstalling several different types of drivers and trying every solution on every forum i could find i went down the route of swapping each component of my system out with a spare pc which is running fine.

I was in the process of changing my CPU which was the last component on the list and i was running out of idea's and everything was pointing towards the motherboard when i noticed a little dip switch on the motherboard that said "slow_mode" flipped the switch and now everything is fine. I dont ever remember switching it on and there isnt an indication to which position is on or off.... but for anyone with the same problem its the down position towards the gpu. So for the past few months since having the freesync monitor i have had crap performance from this stupid switch. I just thought freesync may have been demanding and i was a little dissapointed with it.

Ah well that was fun.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • Re: MSI Radeon R9 390x low fps in most games (GTA5, simcity,rocketleague and others)
            jakslap

Have you tried changing Power Settings in windows to "High Performance"?

Uninstalling old drivers with DDU, and installing latest drivers?

Are all your motherboard drivers up to date?

Are the power connectors on GPU connected properly?

Do you have any Anti Virus programs running in the background?

to me it sounds like a Software issue, maybe a format will fix the issue. If not it could be a faulty GPU. Best way to check is to remove your GPU and put it in your Brothers rig and see if the problem still occurs.

I had a R9 280x and recently upgraded to a R9 390x, in valley benchmark i was getting around 45fps on average, and with the 390x i am getting around 67fps, so you should see around an 20fps increase in valley, not sure about others games.

Good Luck.