2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2016 7:56 AM by particlepeter

I wonder if the driver choice could be made even harder

particlepeter

I am on Win 10 x64 with a Kaveri APU A-7800. Trying to get the latest (beta) drivers is an adventure for itself, lets walk it together, would like to know where I loose the right path:

Lets start here: Download Drivers as I have an English OS and prefer English drivers even though I am in Germany.

I don't want any auto detect utility installed, I think I can do the the educated choice myself.

So I hover over "Drivers + Support" on the top menu tabs and choose "Latest APU Drivers - Windows 10 (x64)" and get to this page: Desktop

"Features" presents me with a nice big download button (Noooo, its a trap!) for Crimson Edition 16.5.3 Hotfix with Display Driver 16.15.2211. But then reading on I realize that these shiny new drivers are for discrete GPUs only, so why did I get here? Ah O.K. further bellow, I see the exceptions that I need to use some older drivers which do support APUs, Crimson Edition 16.3.2.

Fine, out of curiosity I click on "Supported Products" where I read:

The AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition driver (which one ???) is compatible with the following AMD products:

... AMD APU series codenamed "Kaveri", "Godavari" and "Carrizo" are only supported by AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition on Windows® 7 (32 & 64-bit), Windows® 8.1 (64-bit) and Windows® 10 (64-bit).

Yes, this is my setup, so it should work, right?

Now a new choice comes in the driver mace. The installed radeon settings utility inform me (in perfect German language on a English OS !) that there is a software update available. Interesting, a new driver version, version 16.5.1, is available for my system and I get more information about it here: AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.5.1

Apparently this Crimson Edition has the Display Driver 16.15.2401.1002, but as far as I can see no release date specified.

Lets point out one thing:

Crimson Edition: 16.5.3           >   16.5.1

Display Driver:    16.15.2211   <   16.15.2401.1002

I am sure that you AMD engineers have a versioning system that makes perfectly sense, but its tough to follow from the outside. Which one is the best fit for my system?

I would like to ask you to get the driver presentation a little bit more structured:

- If there are different driver paths for APU and discrete GPU systems, please create separate download pages.

- Keep the information found in the radeon settings updates and "driver + support" pages in sync.

- Also please link to possible beta drivers from the non-beta driver download locations. I don't see how I could get to AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.5.1  with only navigating Support & Drivers.

- Add some developer information, e.g. which OpenGL version is supported, which Vulkan API version

Why this post?

Firstly I wanted to present some user experience with getting AMD drivers.

Secondly I have vulkan driver issues. LunarGs "Vulkan Run Time Libraries" executable which come with your driver packs does remove vulkan extensions from the implementation, details at the bottom of Extensions VK_KHR_surface and VK_KHR_win32_surface have disappeared.  I am afraid that I installed wrong drivers, that I am not able to clean them up properly and I am so confused already that I would not know which driver I should install at all.

Regards, ParticlePeter