5 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2016 5:00 PM by mpgrimes

It wasn't 16.5.3!

samasaurus

Turns out it was my new RAM, not the patch. It just took some serious gaming to make it go screwey.

• Re: 16.5.3 Gives gives me consistent BSOD and RSOD, among others.
          waltc

You don't need DDU...even the author of the program does not advise that people use it routinely with every driver change...because (1) the Crimson uninstall routines work a treat--I never have a problem with uninstalling the Crimsons, and (2) because of the way DDU works there is always the possibility that the program will remove files that are necessary for the proper functioning of your card--causing you more trouble, as opposed to less.  Seriously, I've found that the Crimson uninstall routines work exactly as I expect them to and as they should.  Also, when uninstalling through the Crimsons, I always make sure to select the "uninstalling all driver versions" feature, as opposed to uninstalling only the latest driver and leaving several older drivers on my system--for obvious reasons.

I did, however, discover that attempting to install one Crimson driver version on top of another without first uninstalling the driver I wanted to replace can/will result in a driver installation wherein the driver files are mixed between the latest version and the version I was replacing...which of course is highly undesirable.  In fact, every time I tried installing the new driver right on top of the old driver, the install would complete and appear to have been successful, but when I opened the Crimsons and looked at the System information I had a bunch of the new driver files interspersed with the old driver files.  Very bad form, that, and it could easily lead to all kinds of undesirable things happening when running my games--and things did happen to crash some games I was playing--which made me look very carefully at the entire install/uninstall process and that is when I discovered the mixed file versions and the cause (installing new drivers without first uninstalling the old ones)!

I'll wager that many of the posts I read here about problems with the Crimsons that happen immediately after an install of newer Crimsons result from exactly what I've described here--installing a new set of drivers right on top of the old set.  With the Catalysts, doing that often worked just fine--only occasionally did it not work for me as expected.  But at least for me, anyway, it doesn't pay to install new Crimsons on top of the older Crimsons--the older driver should be uninstalled *first*...!  YMMV, but as I said I did not have a single "on top" Crimson install work properly, because the resulting install wasn't correct--with some of the older Crimson files left behind.

samasaurus

I thought it was going to be an all in one kind of thing.

• Re: It wasn't 16.5.3!
                kingfish

DDU is used as a trouble shooting tool. It has many advantages over the AMD installer...for people with AMD processors. Number one is it won't remove anything other than the left over driver software. Using the AMD uninstaller can remove other programs that will require reinstalling...the uninstaller warns you of this. As far as I know, no credible instructions tell you to remove the drivers with DDU. Always remove the drivers from your computer first using the normal 'uninstall a program' feature in the computer control panel. Reboot and install the new drivers. If there is a issue, start the computer in safe mode and run DDU.

Before attempting to install new AMD graphics drivers, you computer must be fully updated. Go to Windows Update and install all the critical updates, plus the relevant 'Optional' and 'Recommended' updates...that will include the .netframeworks and C++ upgrades.

1. Using steps 1-5 , manually select your graphics drivers HERE and download/save to your desktop. Do not use automatic find and install.

2. Remove old drivers using 'uninstall a program' in the computer control panel****

Screenshot_5.png

FOR COMPUTERS WITH INTEL PROCESSORS***

Select AMD Catalyst Install manager and uninstall the entire package. Reboot. Install the new driver suite. Reboot.

Screenshot_6.png

FOR COMPUTERS WITH AMD PROCESSORS***

Select AMD Catalyst install manager and uninstall the graphics driver only. Reboot. Install the new driver suite. Reboot.

Disable all anti-virus/anti-malware/anti-anything before trying to install AMD drivers.

If you do not wish to have raptr on your computer, uncheck the box next to 'Gaming Evolved'.

Screenshot_2.png

This is a proven installation method that will work 99% of the time for everybody. However, there is the 1% who will need to use the 'Clean' install method. Use this if you run into issues

• Re: It wasn't 16.5.3!
                  brucer

and this is exactly why amd needs to make it one step, when you run the installer, it needs to run the uninstaller first as an automatic step... It couldnt be too difficult for their software engineering dpt to do that.. I think it would solve about 50% of amd's issues..  I guess thats to difficult to understand.  It would at least simplify driver installation.

mpgrimes

I have the exact same issue as well, fresh windows 10 install on my r9 fury. Constant driver crashes, in fact, the only driver ive had success with since I got this card is the ones from asus' site, which are 15.?  seems any of the crimson drivers cause crashes or curser corruption.