7 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2016 12:47 PM by abi

Getting started with over clocking my AMD FX 4350 4.2 MHz over lock ability to 4.8mhz How do I over clock?

free1967

How do I over lock my AMD FX 4350 quad core proses sour?

• Re: Getting started with over clocking my AMD FX 4350 4.2 MHz over lock ability to 4.8mhz How do I over clock?
          abi

1st thing you need to do is prepare yoursef. You will need stressing software like aida64, amd overdrive utility, etc.. you will need CPU-z to confirm clocks and vcore and hardware monitor to check temps. Research tutorials on your CPU OC, also get your MOBO manual next to you because sometimes you need to make a BIOS hard reset. NEVER understimate TEMPS because you will kill your cpu..

you have 3 main methods to OC, by software-amd overdrive , by multiplyer and by bclk. Last 2 methods you do by tweaking values on mobo.

The easiest way to OC is by AMD overdrive. However a lot of people say that OC by software is not recomended, because you hv software controling values, and software have bugs. But everyone OCs GPUs by MSI afterburner and no one complains.

OC by BCLK is troublesome, base clock is a   reference   value used by your system to achiev the frequency on some component. Parts like cpu, nb, HT, ram use their multiplayer X reference BCLK value to achieve their frequency. For exmple if your BLCK 200mhz * CPU multiplayer 20 = 4.0ghz / BLCK 200mhz * 9.33RAM = 1866mhz. I said its troublesome because if you raise you BCLK from 200 to 210 it will OC a lot of parts, you have to take care while doing this, and tweak multiplyers up and down.

The most used OC method is by changing multiplayer, you simply go to the bios and set a value for exmple multiplayer 23.5.

NOW to OC , when you enter the bios you will find the current voltg values for you cpu, for exmpl 1.35v, keep these values. Now go to you "CPU Performance" Tab turn to Disable all settings like Cool'n'quiet and raise your CPU multiplayer by 200mhz. Now go to the CPU voltg and place the sotck value of 1.35v, enter Windows and use a prog to stress your system. You will stop when the PC freezes during the stress test or your CPU goes to high temps. I alwyas stress 30m and never had prob, if your temps allow you, raise the voltg untill the frequancy is stable.

If you make a mistake on bios and place a wrong voltg you will have a black screen, dont panic just go to your mobo manual and do BIOS hard reset

Check AMD guide bellow

http://www.amd.com/Documents/AMD_FX_Performance_Tuning_Guide.pdf

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • Re: Getting started with over clocking my AMD FX 4350 4.2 MHz over lock ability to 4.8mhz How do I over clock?
            free1967

Thank you. Great answer for over clocking. I have a Gigabyte 970A D3P mobo. AMD FX 4350 Vishera Quad Core Processor. 4.2 MHz shipped. 24g of Ram. Radeon R7 200 series Graphic card. 750 W psi in Antec 900

case with 8 fans on board. Heat sink is what shipped with AMD.

free1967

I have aida64 downloaded. Trouble locating amd overdrive utility. I have to get some sleep now but will return Saturday PM. Thanks for your help and support.

abi

Make some research on people tht have already OC your cpu and understnd theyr limitations.

To OC, enter your BIOS and search the status page were you can find your CPU info, and check the CPU stock voltg, should be something between 1.3v to 1.38v. For exampl 1.35v

Go to CPU Performance" Tab turn to Disable all settings, like Cool'n'quiet.

Increase your CPU multiplayer by 200mhz, for exmpl from 20 to 21

Go to Voltage tab, and set on your cpu vcore the value that you toke before, for exampl 1.35v

Note, some motherboards have OC features, on gigabyte boards you should have Load Line Calibration that fights back the  Vdrop  effect. Basically when you stress your CPU, he will drain voltage from your motherboard power phase, and sometimes motherboards cant keep up. Even if you set the voltg for examplt to 1.4v, while stressing CPU you will see the Vcore voltg decreasing to 1.38v...1.37v...1.35v and then system crash. Find your best OC profile for your mobo, i never owned tht board so i cant help.

enter Windows, open cpu-z and your system monitor, there you will see the new cpu freq and the vcore.

stress your cpu for 15m-30m, and always take a look at the temps, if it gets close to the max values, Stop the test!!!

If everithing went good,  stress test made with no crashes or fails, and temps bellow the max values, go to the bios and set multiplayer for more 200mhz and redo the procedure.

You said that you are going to OC with stock cooler, it will not give you much thermal margin,therefore take very caution with temps. People spend a lot of $ on CPU cooling because of this... You can find your CPU temps here on AMD site, products specifications, to your CPU.

Finally when you have your stable OC profile save it to BIOS... I personally do another thing, THAT SHOULDNT BE DONE, but never had a problem, after i find my OC profile i turn to ON, COOl '&'Quiet and HPC computing to allow my CPU revert back to 1400mhz and vcore drop when im seeing movies or scrolling sites...