4 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2016 10:07 AM by molotch

Steam games crashing after installing R9 290X

mrj_lindemans@hotmail.com

2 days ago I bought a secondhand Sapphire R9 290X, as a much upgrade from my EVGA GTX660.

So I first uninstalled the nvidia drivers, installed the AMD drivers. So far so good. I opened up League of Legends, to test FPS in a custom game. Amazed at 400 FPS, doubled it from the GTX660.

Then I ran a Furmark benchmark, to stress test and incase to see if I need to upgrade my PSU. After this ran fine, I did a Heaven Benchmark as well on Extreme preset, ran fine no issues. After concluding that there shouldn't be any issues, I opened up Assassin's Creed Unity. Game crashed at first, as it's horribly optimized, but after restarting the game it worked more than fine. from 40 to 60 fps on ultra high settings. Then after an hour of running around stabbing people, I opened up GTAV. Same story, game crashed at first but after a restart of the game it ran more than fine.

Now on to the issue at hand, I wanted to play Dead Rising 2 with a friend. Opened it on steam, game started up and I got to the main menu. As soon as this happened, I noticed that the game "froze". It had horrible performance, and then I heard the amazing Windows 10 error sound. I tabbed out to my desktop and saw that my Display Drivers had crashed, so I thought maybe I need to restart my pc. Did that, same thing. I thought it was just that one game. So I ran CSGO, same story. Ran CoD Ghosts (horrible game, I regret buying it) same story. After about 6-7 retried of all the games, I got a BSOD. Something like a "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" error, can't remember exactly what it said. Still have no idea what this actually means after googling around.

What I've tried so far:

Uninstalled all display drivers (even possible remains of nvidia drivers)

installed older version of AMD drivers, maybe newest drivers were buggy or something.

Reseated the card and RAM etc.

I'm just shy off of re-installing windows, but that's something I'm not looking forward to.

PC Specs:

-i5 2500k stock clock

-2x4gb corsair vengeance

-2x 7200RPM HDDs

-R9 290x

-GA-Z68p-DS3

-PSU: Nexus RX-7000 700w.

I doubt its my PSU, I'm no genius so I thought to check out how many amps the r9 290x needs on the 12V rail and how much my PSU can give out. R9 290X needs around 31amps, my psu gives 54 amps (from what I can tell).

Any help/ideas/advice would be greatly appreciated.