22 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2016 7:39 PM by allelya

Cannot install display driver

allelya

I have two different graphics cards on my laptop.

I have tried updating... did not update.

I tried using a DDU and reinstalling the 16.3 driver I already downloaded. It installed ONE driver, a 16.15 so the alerts still tell me to update to 16.3

I tried uninstalling the way AMD says to on their site... and installing again from the download. AGAIN, it did NOT install 16.3

This is aggravating. Had I known I'd go through this much trouble, I'd have bought something with NVIDIA in it.

Need help.

• Re: Cannot install display driver
          amdmatt

We'd like to help, but you have not provided any information about your system.

INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION

allelya

Describe your system:

• AMD Graphics Card
                • Make and model; e.g. AMD R9 290X = ATI AMD Radeon R6 Graphics & ATI AMD Radeon R7 M360
              • Desktop or Laptop System
                • If a laptop, make and model of the Laptop = HP Pavillion 15-ab125nr
              • Operating System
                • E.g. Windows 10 64bit = Windows 10 64bit
              • Driver version installed
                • E.g. Radeon Software Crimson Edition 15.12 = For both the R6 and R7 GPUs 15.300.1025.1001
              • Display Devices
                • Make and model, connection/adapter in use, resolution and refresh rate; e.g. Samsung UE32850R 3840x2160 @60Hz Active DP to HDMI adapter
                • One line for each display device connected = It's a laptop
              • Motherboard
                • Make and model; e.g. Asus P8P67 Deluxe = HP 80B5 with AMD chipset
              • CPU/APU
                • Make and model number; e.g. FX 9590 = AMD A10-8700P Radeon R6 Compute Cores 4C+6G
              • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
                • E.g. Thermaltake TR2 700W Gold
              • RAM
                • Amount of memory installed; e.g. 16GB = 8GB

Describe your issue:

The AMD control center and/or Raptr application continually popped up stating my system had an upgrade available on the AMD website. Upon clicking the link provided, it would send me to an AMD webpage with the Version 16.3.2 driver. I attempted 4 TIMES to "update" my drivers from this page. A check of specifications showed the update did not happen even though I went through all the steps and received a confirmation window ( and shortly thereafter, the popup saying I have an update available)

I then attempted to use a DDU in order to get a good, clean install of the driver rather than updating. Instead of installing the 16.3.2 that I had downloaded and gone through all the windows and clicks to install, it installed 16.150.??? and only installed it once (instead of twice for BOTH graphics) Then I received a "Display Driver Crash/recovered" error (after getting a black screen) and the system automatically stopped that driver from working and began running the laptop off of the generic HP display driver for the monitor.

I again tried to update the driver to the latest version and AGAIN it would NOT update at all despite going through the ENTIRE process and getting a confirmation. A Google search has shown results that AMD is to blame for this issue in drivers not updating to the latest one.

I was able to re-install my previous version of driver in order to do anything but am unable to play any games because I receive NUMEROUS display driver crash errors and black screens. Suffice to say... this is EXTREMELY AGGRAVATING. I never had half as many problems with NVIDIA.

allelya

Still waiting for help on this. Surely there are more people with AMD support than just you.

allelya

Three days waiting for help- this is unacceptable.

I have given the requested information, no reason I shouldn't have received assistance by now.

kingfish

If you had given correct computer information, someone could have answered your question long ago....and you wouldn't have had to type in bold print.

Your computer has a AMD Quad-Core A10-8700P APU processor. Forget all the stuff you said you have. There is only one driver for laptop APU's...that serve both the integrated graphics as well as the discrete graphics chip.

Raptr is a third party program that you chose to install with the AMD drivers. It is not a AMD product. It frequently issues wrong update advice. AMD has the Beta drivers that Microsoft and Raptr/gaming evolved do not have. There are two places within raptr settings to disable 'check for new drivers automatically' and you should disable them.

amdmatt

Apologies, i was not at work but was intending to respond upon my return, which is today.

The latest beta driver for your system is Crimson 16.2.1, which you can download here. You are currently using the latest WHQL driver.

allelya

Going through the selections as kingfish showed, the screen says I need 15.12.

"

If you have one of the following APU products please use Radeon Software Crimson Edition 15.12

FX-8800P

PRO A12-8800B

PRO A10-8700B

PRO A8-8600B

PRO A6-8500B

A10-8700P

A8-8600P

A6-8500P "

I have the A10-8700P so I need the 15.12 driver. Going to attempt to install it and will update.

allelya

And there's the issue repeating itself. I attempted to update and it did not work. I received an error message after restarting. File System error (-2018374635). THIS is the problem I am having. No matter what driver I try to install, it does NOT work.  I continue to receive display driver crashes. This is beyond ridiculous now.

amdmatt

The snippet below is taken from Microsoft with users reporting the same issue.

Windows 10 File system errors - Microsoft Community

This issue may occur due to some system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Please follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X, select Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.
                                    • In Command prompt type sfc/scannow and press enter.
                                    • Restart the computer.

Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.

• In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:
                                      1. DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
                                      2. DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
                                    • Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.