14 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2016 3:05 PM by warsun

I demand more cooling!!!

warsun

Yeah pretty much the title.I am using a Sapphire Nitro OC Edition.Temps are not really what i was expecting.Well at least from whats coming out of my computer case.I can feel some heat coming from the graphics card right now.But all im doing is typing this page.The processor isn't even chunking out as much heat as the graphics card.An i`m not running OverDriver because once it starts it chunks out even more heat! So thats a no no.

So.I am just looking for an update maybe to stabilize the card more.Something to make it run cooler.Right now the fans are running in room temperatures of 78c.So yeah i thiink a virus could be causing this in Windows 10 but i highly doubt it.So yes.Just need some more tweaking please.

• Re: I demand more cooling!!!
          black_zion

vaporx care to field this?

xeleron

Most AMD gpus have zero core technology enabled,meaning the gpu draws very little power when idle.There are some Crimson/Catalyst drivers though which do have some issues with power tuning,make sure you have the latest stable Crimson driver (i think it's crimson 16.5 or something).

brianvd2

since you don't mention de exact model you have I asume its either a r9 380(x) or r9 390(x), both of those come with the feature to disable the fans while in idle. This means the graphics card won't turn on its fans until reaching a certain temperature, about 60-65 celcius. So that does mean the card is being cooled passively and may become hotter then under light game usage.

Under stress GPU's will perform just fine under 90c, but it also depends on the airflow in your computer case how hot it will become, but 78 is absolutely fine.

goodplay

I believe these are yours, posted on another forum.

Untitled.png

May help those trying to solve your problem.

sandrino

Try turning up your fan speed on your graphics card by using overdrive settings in radeon settings, may that help your graphics card to cool down.

sandrino

I know that you are not using it, but overdrive is not only for overclocking but also your fan speed of your graphics card.

warsun

Sorry i couldn't log on.

Overdrive is exactly what i DONT want to run.Time an time again.This has happened.When you turn on overdrive.You cant turn it off.it remains on.An believe it or not.it generates more heat.I did the fan thing.An the fan got a little noisy.Yes it cooled down my card but.Temps naturally went up.So when it was turned off.Temps are not 10 degrees higher at all times.If it was 50 it is now 60 at all times.This is a bug that has existed from the beginning i think.Thats why i don't use it. So like I said

MORE COOLING!!!

black_zion

That's not a bug, it's the law of thermodynamics and a couple other laws. You can buy a high capacity liquid cooling setup, but even then you're going to have air movement noise. If you want absolute silence, you're going to have to settle for relatively low end cards with passive coolers. You want relative silence, buy a liquid cooling setup and a waterblock, or a Fury X.

kingfish

You should not have bought a overclocked card....simple. AMD did not overclock the card, Sapphire did. Why don't you complain to them? I'm sure they will be surprised when you tell them your card's temperature goes all the way up to 78c when gaming......

tugrul_512bit

Maybe there is excessive voltage. May downvolting solve?

warsun

Well no.This has been happening since.I think 11.1 Catalyst.I mean this has been going on for many many years.They just need to change the way the driver works.When you turn it off.It should disable OverDriver.But it wont.You actually have to format your system to get rid of it.You cant adjust it or uninstall it.It`s till there.Even if you disable it an uninstall the driver.An put in a new driver of a different number.it shows it still on and active.That's a design flaw.

brianvd2

So if I understand correctly you state that you cant undo your overdrive settings after you manually put the fan speed higher? Because just above the overdrive settings theres a link that will let you reset the overdrive settings, which works fine for me.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                        warsun

yeah i found it.But it did not want to work.Like i said to several people.ive rolled back to an older driver.So its working.But thanks for reminding me of that.The cooling for it this graphics card still needs work.I was on YouTube an temps were climbing due to videos using an older driver 15.7.An i feel if something as simple as that could affect performance.I still think more cooling is needed.