2 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2016 9:52 AM by hyva

Windows 10 freezes during driver installation

hyva

Hello,

When trying to install any version of the AMD driver Windows 10 freezes mid installation.

My System is:

Radeon HD 7870

Intel i5 3570K

Windows 10 Professional 64 bit

I've been testing all answers I found on the internet without success:

-Uninstalled Antivirus

-Disabled PCI-Express energie management

I have tried using the AMD cleanup utility but that also freezes my system when I execute it.

I tried manulally uninstallign the old AMD driver but Windows just reinstalls it:

-I checked the option "delete driver"

-Have the automatic driver installation disabled (System -> advanced Systemsetting -> Hardware -> device settings)

-I also had no internet connection at that point. I dont know what causes windows to reinstall it.

Thanks in advance for everyone who helps me!

• Re: Windows 10 freezes during driver installation
          amdmatt

Please try the steps below to see if it resolves the issue.

1. Run the Windows self check tool to check scan and automatically repair any corrupt files found in Windows. There is a guide on how to do it here.  What you need to do is run an elevated command prompt (elevated means run it as administrator) and type SFC /SCANNOW. This will generate a statement indicating if errors were found the Operating system and if they were fixable.

2. Make sure you have installed Microsfot NetFramework and Visual C++ 2013. These should be installed already, but they can become damaged, need repairing or reinstalling.

3. Update Windows. Install all available critical, recommended and optional updates. Often Netframework and Visual C are included in the recommended or optional updates Windows provides. Windows should always be fully up to date before installing our drivers!

4. Use DDU to sweep the system of AMD drivers.

5. Install the latest Crimson 16.5.3 drivers once the above is completed.

• Re: Windows 10 freezes during driver installation
              hyva

Hello,

Thanks for your help those are the steps i tried several times wihtout success.

I made a clean installation of windows now and it installed Crimson 15.11 now. I wasn't able to install a driver manually even with a clean installation (freeze during progress) but i think my video card is fine since it flawlessly install under any other operating system.

I dont think im gonna touch anything now and will just take what works.

Though im gratefull for your help.