16 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2016 1:08 AM by alexvrb

Computer won't start with new Athlon X4 880k processor (swap with A8-6600k)

damd

Windows 10 64-bit Desktop System:

Gigabyte GeForce GTX970 G1 4Gb Graphics Card

Gigabyte GA-F2A55M-HD2 Rev.3 Motherboard (Bios version FGa)

8Gb Ram (single strip)

700w AeroCool Integrator Power supply

Single DVI Monitor

1 x DVD and 2 x 1Tb HDD

When I remove the old A8-6600 processor (rated100W) and install the X4-880 (rated 95W) the computer will not start successfully. All bios settings are default.

I am now on the second new X4 processor (an exchange from the seller) and still have this problem, though this second processor is displaying subtly different ways of failing than the first one I had. It is broadly similar except that I did manage to get the system started into windows once or twice with the first X4 processor ( though it took endless restarts and always crashed in the end ) and I have not yet got this replacement processor to get that far.

This one usually gets to lighting the display and the bios splash (more frequently than the first one) but has never started windows yet (usually 0xc0000098 0xc0000428 for ntoskrnl.exe are the errors, even when trying to boot from the windows CD).

Sometimes it will say critical_startup_error (or something similar) then power off and on and then beep 4 times repeatedly (Real time clock malfunction) after which I have to completely power down the system by removing supply cable and holding power button for a while, for it will not even light the screen again at startup unless I do (the first one never displayed this specific behaviour).

Sometimes the bios will beep once (like it's supposed to on startup) but it will then pause and beep once again and then proceed to start until the blue screen comes shortly after the bios splash screen.

Sometimes it will beep 4 long low beeps followed immediately (they almost overlap!) by a higher tone 1 long and 3 short beeps (this one has me mystified) and the screen doesn't light.

Sometimes the case and contents light but the screen doesn't and nothing else happens, not even the single beep.

and often it will start but then BSOD's before getting very far.

I cannot boot from the windows CD or HDD

I have talked to Gigabyte, describing my system in minute detail and they say it should work! I have talked to e-buyer, where I bought the new processor, and they say it should work. They even agreed to send me this replacement processor, which is displaying almost identical behaviour to the first.

When I put the old A8 back in, normality is restored and it all works perfectly first time, every time!

Please is there someone out there who can help shed some light on this issue?

TIA

• Re: Computer won't start with new Athlon X4 880k processor (swap with A8-6600k)
          amdmatt

I've checked the Motherboard manufacturer website and the CPU is supported on the bios you mentioned.

It sounds like either a Motherboard issue or PSU issue.

• Re: Computer won't start with new Athlon X4 880k processor (swap with A8-6600k)
              damd

Thanks for the reply.

I understand where you're coming from but the 700W power supply is more than sufficient for the system and only 3 months old. It was purchased when we installed the GTX970 graphics card and it runs the system with the A8 chip in (which draws 5W more than the X4 I'm replacing it with) perfectly so I don't believe it is that.

The motherboard copes fine with the A8 chip, it has worked with no problems since we bought the system new about a year ago, and when I put the A8 back the system works flawlessly once more (after it corrects a couple of disk errors that appear to be caused by trying to start it with the X4 installed). It only misbehaves when the X4 chip is installed so the only thing I can think of is that it's possible there may be a fault caused by the switch from FM2 to FM2+ or possibly as a result of the other effect of switching chips, which is a change from PCIE 2.0 to PCIE 3.0.

Unfortunately I have no access to another FM2+ motherboard (or processor for that matter) to test this. Do you think there is any other way of testing the theory?

Thanks again!

amdmatt

Not that i am aware of. Gigabyte should be able to help you understand what the beep codes are telling though.

damd

Problem is the beep codes vary, as do the error codes (which I have relayed to Gigabyte but which they politely ignored when replying)

After suggesting the it might be video card (that is also a recent brand new purchase which works perfectly at all other times and is also a Gigabyte product anyway!) they then just said the board and that BIOS 'has no issue with the X4 880K CPU'.

It seems everybody is telling me I got everything right and that it should work BUT it doesn't! Seems all I got is an expensive new desk paperweight!

Thank you amdmatt  for your input anyway and if Gigabyte reply to me I will post back how I get on.

techguy

This sounds like a mobo/BIOS issue to me. You didn't get two new, tested AMD CPUs that are mysteriously bad. Does the mobo have Rev. 3 printed on it? It sounds like the Rev. 1 version that does not support FM2+ CPUs/APUs. If it doesn't have Rev. 3 printed on the mobo, it is likely Rev. 1 even if it came in a box that said Rev. 3 on it. Gigabyte tech might be able to tell for sure by the mobo serial number.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              damd

Yes, I agree, getting two dodgy chips in a row would almost be like winning the lottery but it's not totally impossible. The motherboard does have Rev. 3 printed on and I did give Gigabyte the Serial number, which checks out.

I have now started down the rabbit hole and purchased a new Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-HD2 which I found at a reasonable price that should slot straight in in place of the original board without too much mucking about, and which has proper on-board graphics so I can run the X4 with or without the Video card installed.

Have to wait for it to arrive to see if that makes the difference.

Thanks for the help so far, I will be back when I have tried it out

alexvrb

Your first board is an FM2 A55 chipset board - I would not recommend for use with FM2+ Kaveri or later. Even if Gigabyte says it will work with an FM2+ chip, I have read otherwise - especially a Godavari chip like yours. Your second board is FM2+ which is good. But what revision board, and what BIOS are you running? If it's the 1.0 revision you should be running the beta bios F2c. If it's 1.1 the latest BIOS is FC. This is especially important if it's 1.0 because the 870K and 880K are based on Godavari, and only F2c beta bios supports those!

I've been fortunate in that Asus constantly updated the BIOS whenever improvements could be made, even RAM compatibility updates. That's helped me with overclocking, even though it ran fine stock even with an outdated BIOS. Some manufacturers aren't quite so dedicated, or perhaps the board has underlying issues with Godavari that are difficult for them to eliminate. As a rule I try to stick to Asus, Asrock, and for budget builds I used to use ECS and actually had good luck with them. But I digress... let us know what BIOS version you're using.

Edit: Just to put things in perspective, Asus has released 22 BIOS revisions for my board since it launched including one around April of this year IIRC. Gigabyte has released 2-3 for your board (depending on revision) and something like 5 for Jaluce's board. In addition they were shockingly even MORE cryptic as to what they did, they didn't seem to mention system stability improvements. The rev 1.0 of your board was practically abandoned as there only has a beta BIOS supporting Godavari. No "stable" release with support for these chips, and no mention of Carrizo support at all so the 845 is completely out of the question. Maybe Gigabyte support of higher-end boards is better?

damd

Hi again, just a quick side question, am I wrong to think that I don't need a graphics card to use the X4 880k chip with the GA-F2A68HM-HD2 motherboard? The board manual states it has its own Integrated Graphics Processor and does not specify that I need an 'AMD APU with integrated graphics' (i.e. an 'A' series chip) to use it, which the GA-F2A55M-HD2 manual (for the first motherboard) does.

Gigabyte are trying to tell me I need the Graphics card installed in either case because 'the Athlon X4 880k CPU doesn't have an Integrated Graphics' (sic), which would be a pain as I have already re-assembled the original configuration, which continues to work perfectly.

Can anyone help and tell me who is right?

Thanks!

alexvrb

It's a socket designed for APUs. If you're running an "Athlon" on it, that's an APU with a disabled iGPU. That means you MUST have discrete graphics installed or you will have no display and error(s). Like pulling the graphics card out of an AM board (NOT the upcoming AM4) which lacks integrated graphics and has no connectors for output and trying to boot. The difference is that this board can be used for APUs with iGPUs so it always has the connections for output, so you can physically plug in a monitor - but they're connected to a part of the APU that is disabled on your chip!

jaluce

I have a similar situation trying to upgrade from a 760K (FM2) to the 880K (FM2+) on the Gigabyte f2a88xn-wifi mobo (rev 3) running a bios that supposedly supports the 880K. I got a similar response from Gigabyte ("it must be the CPU") but I suspect their bios doesn't actually support the chip successfully. I got the bios to load a few times, but it inevitably freezes and white pixels start appearing, and usb power cuts out. I made it to Windows once before the freeze/white pixel issue; noted that the cpu was remarkably hot when this happened. (cooler is definitely installed correctly). I can switch back to a 760K and everything runs just fine, I've gone through this cycle of 760K->880K->760K->880K a few times; the rest of the system (GPU, PSU, RAM, etc) is fine. No beeps (I believe the mobo has no speaker). I don't know how to fetch the error codes.

Bios is updated to newest, which lists support for the 880k (bios F6), CMOS cleared, system simplified to only the essentials. Bummer for me is that this was my last hurrah with FM2; I'm not going to buy another motherboard for what is likely the last chip in the line. Anyway, just thought I'd add that there seems to be a Gigabyte-880K issue.

damd

I must admit that it does seem like Gigabyte and the 880k just won't work. I have just this afternoon tested it with the replacement board I purchased (which I think it has it's own issues as it won't go to bios; but that's another story!) still rejects the X4 880 firstly with a 'real time clock malfunction' beep code and then an AGP error beep code with no video output, and then every time after the first start just the AGP error beeps and no screen. (BTW there will be a jumper on your motherboard that you can connect a small speaker to in order to hear the beeps, if you have any old systems lying around you may be able to salvage one from that, as the connections haven't changed.) The A8 6600k gets the single 'everything OK' beep and the bios flash screen comes up but in neither case can I get into BIOS (it seizes with the background colours and titles of the BIOS screen but nothing further happens except the system restarts itself) :-( I suspect that that is the fault of the 'new' motherboard though.

(I'm a bit annoyed that I didn't try another manufacturer's board but I wanted to be talking to gigabyte and not yet another company!)

Thanks for the useful input though, I might well use it when talking to gigabyte.

jaluce

Thanks for replying. I'll watch the thread to see if you hear anything back from Gigabyte. I did find a person running a Gigabyte board with an 880K (google video search "gtx 960 880k battlefront", result is on youtube), that person is running a f2a88x-d3hp; they have an a88x chipset like mine. So... it must be possible.

Unfortunately I've given away all my old builds and mobos but I might be able to borrow a speaker from a friend. For the moment, I'm seeing if a chipset driver update in windows help. If I do a CMOS clear and a reset I can get the bios to load and be stable, but absolutely nothing if I try to load windows.. leading me to think that it might be a windows/driver issue in my case?

Again, thanks for following up. I'll post anything I find from my situation.

damd

Hi again, just a quick side question, am I wrong to think that I don't need a graphics card to use the X4 880k chip with the GA-F2A68HM-HD2 motherboard? The board manual states it has its own Integrated Graphics Processor and does not specify that I need an 'AMD APU with integrated graphics' (i.e. an 'A' series chip) to use it, which the GA-F2A55M-HD2 manual (for the first motherboard) does.

Gigabyte are trying to tell me I need the Graphics card installed in either case because 'the Athlon X4 880k CPU doesn't have an Integrated Graphics' (sic), which would be a pain as I have already re-assembled the original configuration, which continues to work perfectly.

Can anyone help and tell me who is right?

Thanks!

amdmatt

The X4 880k does not contain an integrated GPU, so you will definitely need a discrete graphics card.

jaluce

I think that when Gigabyte writes "integrated graphics" they might just mean that the board can handle an APU... though I could be wrong. I looked at your mobo specs and it certainly sounds like they mean "the mobo can render graphics all on its own".

If I read correctly, your system displayed the bios (and a little bit of windows) without the GTX 970, right? (I didn't re-read the whole thread again). I assume having any image displayed means that you have graphics hardware functioning. In any case, since you know your GTX 970 is good, that might be a less dodgy variable than whatever solution is on the mobo, right?

For my board, what Gigabyte wrote in the specs is different than yours but isn't any clearer. Mine reads "APU with integrated AMD Radeon™ HD 8000/7000 series graphics" in the features. So.... to me that means that my mobo has integrated 8000/7000 series graphics, right?! ... Nope. I think they just meant to be writing a disclaimer that if you're using an APU with integrated 8000/7000, then "To use the onboard graphics ports, you must install an AMD APU with integrated graphics.", which is weird and redundant. It seems like the person who wrote the specs was trying to fill in space on the Gigabyte website and didn't realize that by writing a disclaimer as a feature, they made it sound like the mobo offers integrated graphics.

Regarding my attempts to get my system to run...

I got my system (with the 880K) to perfectly boot into windows once, survive a prime95 stress test admirably, and be totally happy. The only thing I did different was select "load optimized configuration and boot" in the bios prompt after a CMOS clear, instead of choosing the option to go directly the bios. After that one successful windows session, I did a reset and could not get it to load again after that. I tried 20-30 tries of the same steps or variations of those steps.

Because of the one successful windows & prime95 test, I'm pretty damned sure the 880K isn't the problem. I came to the conclusion that the real problem is that Gigabyte, and most likely the other mobo manufacturers, are probably only halfheartedly supporting fm2/fm2+ these days. I appreciate AMD putting out new processors for FM2+, but I can't make a bios work that doesn't want to work. I'm bummed for AMD; I feel like they deserve better support than Gigabyte is showing them.

For me, I came to the conclusion that it was time to abandon FM2. I can't cycle through mobo manufacturers to find one that supports the new chips and there's no enough info online to confirm what's working and what's not. This thread is the most informative discussion on 880K problems I've found.

If AM3 ITX mobos existed, I'd switch to that, but FM2 feels like shaky ground right now; probably no fault of AMD's.

alexvrb

Have you reset BIOS to safe defaults, if there is such an option? If it has PWM, make sure you set the fans to run at a high speed and see if there's any change. When overclocking on my A88X-PRO via the BIOS (and ONLY happens when using BIOS overclocking) I've noticed if my CPU fan setting is on the lowest (PWM), it will end up in a reboot cycle and never gets around to loading Windows. So I bumped fan speed up a tad in the BIOS and lowered the threshold for fan alarm. Then tweaked fan speed back down a hair in Windows using Asus own AI Suite - I've got it on a custom curve so it ramps when necessary but it's silent at idle when temps are ice cold. There's almost no software that seems to be able to understand the thermal sensors on the later-gen FM2+ (Kaveri, Godavari, Carrizo) chips properly. The only one I've been able to get to report extremely accurately is AMD's Overdrive, but that doesn't even report temps, it reports thermal headroom which is something like "how many degrees left until we throttle". AI Suite is fairly close from comparing the two and it DOES report temps so good enough for fan curves.

Anyway the Asus BIOS is a lot more solid than some others I've dealt with. For example I actually forgot to flash the BIOS via USB stick (my board can flash BIOS even with no CPU installed). Even with an older stock BIOS that was NOT supposed to support Kaveri, it actually installed Windows and ran fine. I flashed the latest BIOS anyway.

Anyway just food for thought. A88X itself is solid.