AnsweredAssumed Answered

Need help installing AMD HD 7970m drivers for Windows 7 64-bit laptop...

Question asked by wolf_22 on May 23, 2016
Latest reply on May 26, 2016 by wolf_22

System / Observations:

• Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.
  • i7 CPU.
  • 32 GB Ram.
  • New drivers installed at "C:\AMD\Non-WHQL-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Crimson-16.5.3-Win10-Win8.1-Win7-May21".
  • Tiny yellow exclamation icon on the "AMD Radeon HD 7970M" display adapter.
  • Current Device status: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)
  • Current Device Driver Version and Date (in the AMD Radeon HD 7970M Properties):  15.200.1013.0 & 5/20/2016

Problem:

I've tried to upgrade my driver files for my AMD HD 7970m display adapter using the 64-bit Crimson 16.5.3 "Hotfix" download. Before I installed this, I went into Safe Mode, uninstalled the previous AMD adapter, rebooted back into Safe Mode, ran the DDU Uninstall to ensure everything was a clean slate, and then booted into normal Windows to begin the installation. I've left everything as default as possible but I unchecked the Raptr and the Gaming Evolved additions (I just don't want them if I don't have to have them). At the end of the installation, I also unchecked "Download drivers automatically," to avoid accidental problems. After the installation finished, it said I needed to reboot to finish everything. So I did.

When I got back to the Windows Desktop after the reboot, I saw the following error in my Device Manager for the 7970m display adapter entry:

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

I also get the occasional pop-up on my Desktop indicating the following error:

Failed to create OpenGL context for format

QSurfaceFormat(version 2.0, options QFlags(), depthBufferSize

24, redBufferSize -1, greenBufferSize -1, blueBufferSize -1,

alphaBufferSize 8, stencilBufferSize 8, samples -1, swapBehavior

2, swapInterval 1, profile 0).

This is most likely caused by not having the necessary graphics

drivers installed.

Install a driver providing OpenGL 2.0 or higher, or, if this is not

possible, make sure the ANGLE Open GL ES 2.0 emulation libraries

(libEGL.dll, libGLESv2.dll, and d3dcompiler_*.dll) are available in the

application executable's directory or in a location listed in PATH.

The Windows Task Bar appears to have the "Radeon Settings" icon next to the clock, but when I click on it, I get the following error:

Radeon Settings are currently not available. Please try again after connecting AMD graphics.

I'd hope I don't have some sort of malfunctioning hardware but I'm at a complete loss. My laptop (graphics and all) were working just fine just a day before, but due to my own decision to try and upgrade the drivers in an effort to get a better frame rate for a game I play (Minecraft), I now have a mountain of problems with little-to-no light at the end of the tunnel... It's so frustrating.

Can someone please shine some light on this for me?

Outcomes