31 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2018 8:18 AM by peteinny

Radeon R7 370 Crashing?

fearreaper9

Specs:

• GPU: (Gigabyte) Radeon R7 370
      • CPU: Intel Core i5-3340 3.10GHz
      • PSU: ATX-CB700W
      • RAM: 12 GB

So, for Christmas, I got a new PSU and a new GPU (unfortunately my CPU is stuck to the motherboard... thanks Dell), but it wasn't all great. Despite finally able to run games anywhere above the lowest graphics settings, I started encountering problems that are even worse than bad graphics: my PC crashing. At first it only crashed with MGSV back from when I got it to about mid-to-late January, when I uninstalled and re-installed my drivers. The reason my PC gave for the crashes (when my entire PC didn't crash, giving me horizontal lines normally grey and dark grey in color) was that my graphics card had stopped responding (or something to that effect). But, it was all behind me, and that was that... until almost a month ago, when I decided to start the Witcher series. After I started playing Witcher 1, those crashes came back with a vengeance. Now not only does it crash when playing Witcher (Enhanced Edition), but it crashes when playing pretty much any other game for longer than 30 minutes or so (sometimes I can play for a few hours, sometimes I can only play 10 to 30 minutes). I figured it was a problem related to overheating at first, so I checked, and found my GPU runs at about 60-65 degrees Celsius when playing Witcher 1 - this has been consistent since I got the card, even when I fixed the crashes the first time. So, I reinstalled my drivers, and for about 15 hours into Witcher 1 it worked, until now I get even more frequent crashes in and out of Witcher. I'm in no way blaming Witcher, for anyone wondering - I believe it probably has to do with the drivers messing up, but since I've already reinstalled them, I'm not sure exactly what I can do. I can't really afford another graphics card (Recently buying the entire Witcher franchise, using up my savings and whatnot), so I'm really hoping it's a software or driver issue here.

• Re: Radeon R7 370 Crashing?
          amdmatt

The problem you have described to me could indicate a driver issue, or a faulty GPU.

Please try the steps below to see if it resolves the issue.

1. Run the Windows self check tool to check scan and automatically repair any corrupt files found in Windows. There is a guide on how to do it here.  What you need to do is run an elevated command prompt (elevated means run it as administrator) and type SFC /SCANNOW. This will generate a statement indicating if errors were found the Operating system and if they were fixable.

2. Make sure you have installed Microsfot NetFramework and Visual C++ 2013. These should be installed already, but they can become damaged, need repairing or reinstalling.

3. Update Windows. Install all available critical, recommended and optional updates. Often Netframework and Visual C are included in the recommended or optional updates Windows provides. Windows should always be fully up to date before installing our drivers!

4. Use DDU to sweep the system of AMD drivers.

5. Install the latest Crimson 16.5.3 drivers once the above is completed.

fearreaper9

Unfortunately, none of these worked. I'm still getting crashes.

amdmatt

I would try using Catalyst 15.11.1 Beta to see if that resolves the crashing.

fearreaper9

I refrained from replying for a few days just to see if any crashes continue on a multitude of games before trying out Witcher 1 again. After installing the driver you listed, several games refused to crash, or even have the display driver (almost) crash - these include Stardew Valley, Valkyrie Chronicles, Dragon Ball Xenoverse, Unturned and Garry's Mod. None of these games crashed, despite extended periods of use (up to around 10 hours in the case of Stardew Valley). I went back to playing Witcher, and despite the driver almost crashing (by this I mean the bars that appear - which I didn't mention in my original post, are usually either green and/or black and / or grey - without any applications or my computer crashing) several times, it eventually did in fact crash after about 5 hours. I decided to try Metal Gear Solid V, since that was what originally caused my PC to crash after updating my graphic cards back in January, and it too crashed, this time only after about one hour.

amdmatt

Can you try lowering the core clock of the GPU by 300Mhz and see if this reduces the frequency of crashes?

fearreaper9

I wound up beating Witcher 1 the day I last posted (May 29th), and since then have uninstalled the game. Strangely enough, while my graphics driver still occasionally stops responding, it never results in a crash of any software nor my PC. I really, really don't want to say Witcher 1 was causing my crashes, but it's incredibly strange that, since uninstalling the game, I have yet to experience any crashes, despite my graphics driver still crashing once every few days or so. I believe maybe one or more files may have been corrupted, but I did move from GOG to Steam halfway through the game and that didn't seem to stop any crashes, nor do I know why corrupt files in one game could cause crashes even when it isn't open.

fearreaper9

Hm, so it seems the crashing has continued. They aren't as frequent, but my PC has started crashing again. I'll try lowering my core clock by 300 MHz and see if that fixes anything.

fearreaper9

Yup, turning my clock down by 300 MHz fixed the problem. At least, it seems to have.

amdmatt

You might have a faulty graphics card if it is not able to operating at stock clocks without crashing.

fearreaper9

I'll see to getting a new graphics card, but in the meanwhile (it will probably take a while), it seems to only fix most games, but Witcher 3 still crashes my PC occasionally. I went from 1015 MHz to 715 MHz. Should I also decrease my Memory Clock as well? Currently my Memory Clock is at 1400 MHz.

fearreaper9

Before I order a new graphics card, I would like to note that the most recent drivers seem to have fixed the issue in the majority of games, all but what seems like Witcher 3, where my graphics card can not play no matter how low the clock speed is. To test this I went through several of the games causing me issues (like Dragon Ball Xenoverse), and so far none of them have crashed on me except for Witcher 3 when at the default clock speed (1015 MHz), however even lowering it down to 715 MHz or even 615 MHz does not stop Witcher 3 from crashing.

amdmatt

If it is just one game then that could be an issue with that particular title. If other games are working fine with your GPU at stock clocks, then perhaps it is not faulty. A good way to test is to use games that pin GPU usage to 99% consistently ensuring a thorough workout.

fearreaper9

Well, it really all depends - sometimes, even things as simple as Shadow of the Colossus on PCSX2 can crash my PC even at 715 MHz, then not crash my PC when I turn it back on. The only constant seems to be Witcher titles - all three games have caused problems related to my PC, and I am not sure why. My PC crashed today for the first time in a while doing what I said in the first sentence (playing SotC on PCSX2 - something that definitely isn't pushing my GPU), which is odd because I've been playing for the last four or five hours now and no crash has happened again (and I've even increased the graphics options). Like I said, before I send my GPU in I'd like to make sure it absolutely cannot be purely a driver issue. So, for the test, what all should I do exactly? Just get a game that brings the GPU usage to 99%? Because if so, Witcher 3 pretty much seems like the only game I own that can do that, aside from maybe ARK: Survival of the Fittest, but I'd have to check. What exactly would I be looking for?

Also, upon looking at my Radeon Settings Overclock page, it seems like underclocking by moving the sliders and clicking "apply" doesn't seem to work. The GPU and Memory speeds don't seem to change depending on if I change the sliders or not, in fact it pretty much seems like the Memory speed refuses to change at all and the GPU speed changes at random.

amdmatt

That's right, seems like Witcher might be a good test.

fearreaper9

I just played Witcher 3 at max settings for 33 minutes (Witcher 3 normally crashes within the first thirty minutes) - during that time my GPU activity consistently stayed between 97% and 99%. My temperature raised to a constant 70°, and my fan speed raised to about 60%. My GPU speed stayed at a constant 965 MHz the whole time, and my memory clock stayed at a constant 1400 MHz (as always). I did not alter any of my settings, aside from my power control which I raised to +20%, as I figured hopefully that would change things. Throughout the entire run, while my PC lagged a bit it did not crash. Should I try again, although this time without my power raised to +20%?

amdmatt

Raise the power limit to maximum, no reason not to.

fearreaper9

Well, I played Witcher 3 for about three hours today, and while I did play it on medium settings and not ultra (so my graphics card lingered around 75% to 95% instead of 99% - and I did so simply because running at 10 FPS bugs me), and no crashes. I'm starting to wonder if maybe power could be an issue? I don't think I've played enough to definitively say so, but having the power limit to maximum has allowed me to play Witcher 3 for at least three hours, something that I haven't been able to do in weeks. I think I'll have to report back after a few days just to make sure, though (considering that every other time a miracle fix has occurred, pretty much a week to a month later the problem comes back...).

kingfish

It's no miracle fix....you just set your computer graphics to where it should be.

AMD graphics performance

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                                                              fearreaper9

Nice. I feel like an absolute idiot now - I honestly don't know how I've gone this long without even seeing that.

fearreaper9

After a few months, I can say that the fix worked for a while, but it wasn't permanent. For a few days after, everything was still crashing (just less frequently), and then, after I'd say about three or four days, everything stopped crashing - which was great! But, alas, after starting up another playthrough of MGSV, my PC seems to enjoy the crashing once again. Really, my PC started crashing again around a month ago, but it was so infrequent (it only happened once or twice) that I figured I'd wait some more and give it some time. Could it be a driver issue? My power settings stay at +20%, so it can't be that, and even lowering my memory and GPU clocks doesn't fix the issue. The issue also only seems to affect MGSV.

fearreaper9

I can now confirm that the error is driver related. I was playing Dead by Daylight, a game that has never crashed on me before (at least, never crashed my PC), when all of a sudden the tell-tale signs of my PC crashing started: visual errors on both monitors, the visuals and sounds freezing, until my PC simply... didn't crash. Instead, it crashed for a moment, then restored itself, only for me to be greeted by a little dialog box that told me my video drivers crashed. The AMD Radeon Settings application also crashed. I had recently updated my drivers to the latest update, and I did notice that Witcher 3 was back to crashing as well.

mpgrimes

Going back to older drivers has been my only solution to drivers crashing on windows 10 x64 with my asus strix r9 fury.

I have tried multiple crimson drivers and no success, constant crashes to the point of having to reset the computer, I have had the drivers recover once..

I even reinstalled windows and the only thing I installed after is the newest crimson driver and a game to test, still crashing.

ill use the latest drivers for now and test whatever comes out in hopes the issue is fixed.

thebiggerboat3

What version of drivers are you currently using to prevent crashing? I am also experiencing the same issue, and am clueless as to how to fix it. I have tried nearly every solution, and everything you described is exactly what I am experiencing as well. Thanks.

dalles

I had all of the same problems.Not really happy about it,but using the 15.11.1 drivers plus using Sapphire Trixx to create a custom fan profile has stopped all crashes. My grandson is using my old R9270 and started having the same problems today,I will install 15.11.1 and Trixx tomorrow for him.

peteinny

I had a similar crashing problem. I'm running an E560 Thinkpad with Radeon R7 370. When playing games like Star Wars or League, after my laptop was about 16 months old, it would crash about 5 minutes into the game. Loaded SpeedFan to monitor temps and noticed GPU temps climbing to around 78 degrees just prior to the crash. Reloaded and updated all drivers and even the game. No luck. Bought a $5 can of air spray cleaner and blew into the fan and the vents for about 2 minutes. I used about half the can. Problem solved! My PC runs cool now, GPU temps are zero. I played the game for 2 hours last night with no problems. Thanks to this forum for all the help.

Update: the problem didn't occur all night but in the morning, after about 30 minutes of playing, it crashed again. I took apart the laptop and replaced the heatsink compound. Been running for about 30 minutes and seems cooler based on SpeedFan readings. Stay tuned

Update 01/08/18: Been running for 2 days... no crashes. Problem solved.