1 Reply Latest reply on May 23, 2016 7:33 PM by techguy

Trying to install AMD OverDrive

imcanadian

I had a problem trying to install AMD OverDrive on my Acer Aspire M3450 which have AMD FX6100 6 cores processor. The desktop is running good with the operating system of Windows 10 64X Home Premium. Here is what I did yesterday and this morning too. Maybe you can tell me how to fix the problem.

AMD OverDrive Installer Information

Error 1721. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package.

A program required for this install to complete could not be run.

Contact your support personnel or package vendor.

Action: A0DAssistRem, location: C:\...\A0DAssist.exe, command: -u

Who is the support personnel or package vendor for this? I personally believe that would be AMD but I could be wrong. Is there a way to fix the problem for that so I can install AMD OverDrive on my desktop.

Thank you,

John

• Re: Trying to install AMD OverDrive
          techguy

The AMD AOD program is a contribution from several AMD engineers. It's offered without any customer support and has all the various disclaimers that people should read. In your particular situation the error message is referring to the PC maker, not AMD. There apparently is something in the Acer BIOS or hardware that the AOD program does not like. Acer tech support might be able to help you?

FWIW, many people have found the AOD program to be less reliable than making the changes in the BIOS directly as all software changes to the BIOS - which is what AOD and other programs do, does not always function reliably. Obviously if you are not familiar with manually adjusting the BIOS settings then AOD might be useful to learn if you can find a means to install it. Your BIOS by design may not allow AOD to be installed as it may view AOD as a hacking program that could damage your PC, even though AOD is not that type of program.

If you are able to install AOD, I recommend installing the older version that shows CPU temps instead of the later version that shows "thermal margin" because the later version does not use the proper maximum CPU temp for most CPUs/APUs thus it shows false and excessive thermal margins which can mislead on overheating CPUs/APUs.