4 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2016 8:23 PM by techguy

AMD Zen to be equivelent to Intel Broadwell, "just a smidgen" behind Skylake

black_zion

AMD : Zen Competes With Intel On Performance, Specs & Features Not Just Price - Launching Later This Year

(Excerpts)

The desktop FX CPUs allegedly feature a 95W TDP and eight high performance Zen cores with multi-threading for a total of 16 threads. Zen is said to have extremely competitive single threaded performance according to engineers with knowledge of the chip. Citing more instructions per clock than Intel’s Broadwell and just a smidgen behind Skylake. The 95W TDP if accurate indicates that indeed we’re looking at a very power efficient design. In contrast, Intel’s eight core i7 5960X is rated at 140 watts but then again we’re comparing a 14nm FinFET product with a 22nm chip so a delta is to be expected.

AMD’s plan, our sources tell us, is to price high core count parts very competitively. Undercutting Intel’s mainstream CPUs by offering more cores with competitive – Broadwell level – single threaded performance at Intel’s mainstream i5 and quadcore i7 price points. Essentially offering Haswell-E / Broadwell-E comparable parts in the mainstream $400-$150 segment. A space that’s currently occupied by Intel’s mainstream quadcore I7, i5 and dual core i3 CPUs .

This is possible because we’re told the Zen core itself is very area and power efficient. So AMD can build high core count chips that are still small, with good yields and at reasonable cost. Imagine an eight core Haswell-E equivalent chip the size of a Carrizo APU. We’re set to see a CPU price war take place later this year like we haven’t for nearly a decade.

Sounds good to me. Nobody was expecting AMD to jump ahead of Intel after a decade of lagging behind. AMD may still technically be considered the "value" brand since they won't top Skylake, but if you get equivalent or better performance from model to model, it's going to indeed start a CPU price war, and everyone is going to win, except Intel, who have ridden high with high profits due to no competitor.

• Re: AMD Zen to be equivelent to Intel Broadwell, "just a smidgen" behind Skylake
          bearcat22

I think your jumping the gun a bit again. Let's see what the benchmarks say first. It's all just hype until they come out.

• Re: AMD Zen to be equivelent to Intel Broadwell, "just a smidgen" behind Skylake
              techguy

AMD engineers have been testing Summit Ridge CPUs for months. They know exactly how they perform vs. Intel's best available and likely what Kaby Lake will deliver based on preliminary test data released from those with Kaby Lake engineering samples. FWIW, Kaby Lake's 6-core 3.0 GHz. CPU  has a 140w TDP. To run the same CPU at 3.6 GHz. requires 180w or more. Intel's 8-core Kaby Lakes CPUs start out close to 200w TDP @ 3.0 GHz. The Kaby Lake CPUs are built on 14Nm and have horrible TDPs in comparison to AMD's existing FX series 8 core CPUs that run 4.0 GHz with a 125w TDP on 32Nm node.

Yes Zen, aka Summit Ridge 8 core CPUs do have a max TDP of 95w ( this has been know for almost two years and was part of the design goal). That's pretty impressive in itself. The performance is what most people care about and while it's taken years too long, AMD fans won't be disappointed IMO. Considering Zen Plus will roll out within 18 months of Summit Ridge, there is lots of good news for PC enthusiasts for years to come.

black_zion

AMD Zen Delivers Double The Performance Of The FX 8350 - Zen 8 Core CPU Die Shot Revealed

AMD’s Zen Eight Core CPU Delivers Double The Performance Of The FX 8350, A Real Challenger To Intel’s i7 5960X Extreme Edition

AMD has finally published additional performance figures for Zen beyond the 40% IPC improvement over excavator that the company talked about last year. The 40% IPC uplift figure represents the architectural performance per clock improvement of Zen vs AMD’s last CPU architecture, code named Excavator. And while comparing the architectural capabilities of zen to Excavator may have been informative, it doesn’t offer a direct real-world product to product comparison. Thankfully, we do finally have direct real-world performance figures for Zen.

Compared to AMD’s “Orochi” quad module, eight core die powering the FX 8350, the Zen based desktop Summit Ridge eight core CPU delivers double the performance in Cinebench R15. This means that a single Zen core is in effect equivalent to two Piledriver cores in performance, which is incredibly impressive. This dramatic performance difference comes from the significant architectural performance per clock improvements in addition to Zen’s simultaneous multithreading capability.

it’s important to remember that AMD’s latest Orochi dies feature Piledriver cores rather than Excavator. Excavator cores are roughly 15% faster per clock than Piledriver. This in turn puts Zen at a lead in excess of 60% vs Piledriver in terms of performance per clock. Doubling the performance of the FX 8350 puts Zen in direct competition with Intel’s eight core i7 5960X.

amdmatt poke someone over in marketing and get them to poke someone at Microsoft and release a statement as to if Windows 7 and 8.1 will receive support for Zen the way Skylake is.

techguy

MS is well aware they have backed themselves into a corner and must relent on Win 7-8 patches to run Summit Ridge and other Zen cored CPUs/APUs. Enterprise has already served notice and lawsuits are pending for the enterprise PCs that MS illegally upgraded to Win10 without ANY authorization to do so. This Win10 fiasco is going to cost MS many millions of dollars if they don't get their act together and fast.

My understanding is there is only one relatively minor function that Summit Ridge and similar Zen core processors are unable to perform on win 7-8. It's not something that most people use unless you are running tough screen machines and want the fastest operation possible. Thus there is no issue patching Win7-8 for Zen cored processors. You can bet AMD has already tested Zen core CPUs on Win 7-8 and Win 10. With Win10 being designed to maximize Zen core performance, Win10 might offer a small performance advantage over Win 7-8 as is typical with each new version of Windoze. Since Zen uses many of the same industry standard micro code instructions as Intel processors, there is less chance of MS or unscrupulous benchmark makers intentionally deterring optimum Zen processor performance, without it being blatantly obvious.