21 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2016 1:34 AM by pgetueza

Ever since upgrading to Crimson 16.5.2.1 I can no longer enable Crossfire.

rikans087

So I just upgraded to Radeon Crimson display driver 16.5.2.1 today.

I have a R9 295x GPU.

I opened the settings and checked all my game profiles and nowhere can I find the crossfire enabler toggle. I also checked "additional radeon settings" under preferences and all that is there is Eyefinity settings. There are no power efficiency settings there either (there used to be).

I have tried a a few things: I wiped all AMD driver and did a fresh install. Nothing. I wiped all AMD drivers and reverted back to the previous driver (16.5.1). Nothing and now the old version does not have a crossfire toggle either.

I am at a loss and could use some help.

• Re: Ever since upgrading to Crimson 16.5.2.1 I can no longer enable Crossfire.
          lakesideguy

I have the same exact issue on R285 X 2 configuration.

Big issue for me.

• Re: Ever since upgrading to Crimson 16.5.2.1 I can no longer enable Crossfire.
            kingfish

Gaming > Global Settings > Global Overdrive

iainob1

I have all sorts of issues with the r9 295x2 always have done since windows 10. put many reports in every driver causes problems.

Crossfire just does not work properly.

I can't disable it in any dx 9 game.

Clocks still downclock in windowed mode or fullscreen windowed. This should not happen and was supposed to be fixed but it never was. So basically if you use windowed mode the card underperforms and sometimes has the clocks runnign as low as 300mhz

When disabling crossfire for non dx9 games the clocks downclock also.

Performance and how dx9 games run is problematic and very poor. Flashing textures and shadows since the last 3 drivers, stutters and hitches. Nothing like earlier windows or using nvidia. All dx 9 games right now for me are unplayable.

If you use Radeon Pro to try and get crossfire disabled it sometimes then can not be turned back on at all and I have to un install drivers fully again and start again. Total joke, every driver that comes out is hopeless. A flag ship card when it came out rendered useless because of drivers.  There is no working driver to roll back to, and no power saving settings to change for this card nothing works as it should or as it did in previous windows.

Star citizen which actually came with the card when I bought it has the card downclocking constantly in fullscreen, now yes it is an alpha right now and has many bugs itself but I am not holding my breath that when the game is finished it will work with AMD cards as many are having problems on different AMD cards.

kingfish

Whether crossfire works or not isn't the question in this post. I feel sorry for the less than 1% of users who fell for the hype....but. The question the OP asked was where are the power settings are and where the crossfire settings are. Obviously you don't know either. Power settings are in Global settings and each game profile. I suggest you and others use your favorite search engine and learn what each setting for AMD cards are and the benefit/downside of using those settings are. Most people that have problems with older DX9 games use 'compatibility mode' for the games....and they don't have additional 2D programs running at the same time which can cause issues. Disabling hardware acceleration in the browser usually fixes that. I suggest you read > AMD graphics performance

Screenshot_1 (8).png

Screenshot_1 (9).png

mjpd

Not sure if this helps, but in the screenshots below you'll notice the CrossFire options are now part of a game's Profile. I'm using the 16.5.2.1 drivers and in my example below there is a Doom 2016 profile (on which CrossFire does not work at all, but that's another issue...). Clicking this Profile opens a window as in the 2nd screenshot, Profile Graphics tab is the one you need:

1.jpg2.jpg

iainob1

Some cards have another setting for power effeciency not the ones you are circling, also there are bugs where these settings are not appearing for many people. Such as with the 300 series.

Power Efficiency Toggle: A new feature introduced in the Radeon™ Settings Gaming tab for select AMD Radeon™ 300 series and AMD Radeon™ Fury X available under “Global Options”. This allows the user to disable some power efficiency optimizations.

Not available for 295x2. That is the power efficiency setting people are talking about not the ones you circle.

Compatibility mode for gaming does not fix the broken drivers for dx 9 games which has been posted many times and has been reported many times. Nor does it fix the downclocking issues still there in the drivers when running in windowed mode or in Borderless windowed mode or even when crossfire is disabled for non dx 9 games

Fullscreen is broken, windowed mode is broken, boardlerless windowed mode is broken, crossfire is broken. GPU usage is broken with fluctuations up and down from 0-100 constantly.

No matter if we "fell for crossfire" or not your comments are not helpfull and are not doing AMD any favours and are showing this forum in a bad light. Are you a moderator or do you work for AMD? if not then AMD should be moderating your posts as your trying to appear as though you are working for amd and you have all the answers by commenting on everyones posts with the same replies all the time. People come here trying to find answers from the community and to let other people know when there are problems. I dont have additional 2d programs running that you asume, the drivers just dont work for the r9 295x2 since windows 10 came out period. What does disabling hardware acceleration have to do with errors in the drivers for gaming if your not using a browser at the time? What can that possibly have to do with crossfire not disabling or not turning on? You asume people do things and make comments which aren't helpfull. "Ever since upgrading to Crimson 16.5.2.1 I can no longer enable Crossfire." is the title of the post so that is why I was commenting about crossfire.

The drivers are the issue and have been for a long time, the same people constantly comment with the same old rubbish for fixes which will not work and posting pictures of settings not available to people as they are either missing or not available for that particluar hardware is also not helping.

I have been told numerous times to turn off ULPS or turn off power efficiency setting which we do not have, that is why I commented that the power efficiency setting is not there when you have a r9 295x2.

Those settings that you have circled are just the normal power target and temp target settings.

At the moment the only answer for people with the r9 295x2 is to ditch it and go buy an Nvidia card.

Many of the settings that are supposed to be there are not appearing beacuse of the broken drivers and program. It is all pitiful and beyond a joke.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            kingfish

I am aware the 295's do not have the power setting...that's why I asked. The real problem here is there are too many people highjacking the post. Some have 295's...some have 285's  Twice now I am responding to the person who created the post...and that's not you. I said " and they don't have additional 2D programs running at the same time which can cause issues. Disabling hardware acceleration in the browser usually fixes that." And every AMD card has a ULPS setting...single card or crossfire. Why don't you start your own thread?

pgetueza

You're not reading, TS said he can no longer enable crossfire...

jimmy3423

Have you tried attached a monitor (any monitor at all) to your 2nd card?  (ie not your main card, maybe even try attaching atlaesate 1 monitor to each card)  and then chekcing for the crossfire setting?

I have a 295x2 (xfx) + a 290x (Sapphire Tri-X)    for a tri-fire setup (3x crossfire).  And i did notice that after installing these beta 16.5.2.1 drivers that the On/off swtich for crossfire was missing from the amd control panel  (which was really confusing bc as of 1 or 2 updates ago the only way to access crossfire on/off was via the "advanced settings" which brought you to that old school/left over  amd CCC panel.

anyway, the solution for me happened to be just a restart or 2 and then the crossfire on/off switch was back in the  "Gaming"->"Global Settings"  section (right next to the Frame Pacing on/off switch)   however i know with 100% certanity it was not there prior  (prior being after updating to 16.5.2.1 and doing a few reboots).

so the CF on/off switch seems to come and go sadly..

amdmatt

The R9 295x2 and the 7990 do not have the CrossFire toggle, it applies to the Radeon Pro Duo only. To disable CrossFire on these GPUs you must use a game profile and set AMD CrossFire mode to disabled.

How to Configure AMD CrossFire™ Using AMD Radeon™ Settings

rikans087

Capture.JPGCapture2.JPGCapture3.JPGCapture4.JPG

Notice how the crossfire toggle is nowhere to be found. Notice how a lot of options from "Radeon Additional Settings" are gone. Also be aware that the 295x has had a crossfire toggle before right up until I upgraded to the latest drivers. Too many people hijacking this post and too many people who simply do not know what they're talking about. Please be familiar with the 295x (two cards on one board) before posting.

shadowr

Howzit,  better sell that 295x2,  crossfire stopped working for my 7990 a few months ago since crimson drivers,  selling my 7970 + potato and getting a Gtx 1070. Should have sticked with the green team,  they are by no means Saints but their cards just work.