4 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2016 8:11 AM by kingfish

Dedicated video card ain't working

scotrod

Hello guys, I recently bought a notebook HP15-ac122nu with CPU INTEL® CORE™ I5-4210U which has integrated video card. So the problem is that the notebook uses only the Intel video card, not the AMD one which is AMD RADEON R5 M330, 2 GB. I downloaded and installed the newest drivers for both video cards yet the second video card still isn't activating when I play games that want a little bit more "horsepower" form the PC. When I try to disable the intel video card form the device manager, the AMD card still isn't activating.

I apologieze for the bad English and if the question isn't in the right category from the forum.

• Re: Dedicated video card ain't working
          sandrino

On the crimson driver go to preferrences then click on additional settings. when additional settings has appeared on the screen click on "switchable graphics application".

then make sure that the program that you want to run on the R5 M330 is set to run on the "high performance" setting.

scotrod

Hello. I did it and the notebook is still using the Intel video card.

sandrino

How do you know that it is still running on the intel card.

To get this out of the way, the R5 M330 is NOT a display card, wich means that the R5 M330 has no physical connetction to the display of your laptop directly, instead what it does is that the R5 M330 is connected to the intel hd graphics and so the game will only notice the intel hd card as the display card no matter what you do. However that does not mean that the game won't use the R5 M330, as it acts as a render unit displaying through the intel hd graphics. To make sure you are rendering the game using the R5 M330 you must have gpu-z running at the same time as your game (have the game in windowed mode by the side of the gpu-z program) and to see it running you must click on the "sensors" tab and if it runs at full speed it means that the card is running the game, if not then the gpu-z will display 0MHZ on both the core clock and memory clock. Last but not least, make sure that gpu-z is set to show the R5 M330.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    kingfish

Look in Device Manager...do you have any yellow marks? Just for reference, by default the laptop will use the integrated (Intel) graphics for any OGL application.