12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2016 8:13 PM by warsun

R9 390 crashes every time and fps drops

zorka

Hi everyone!

I come here because i'm really fed up of my graphic card that crashes 20 times a day... I had amd card before and never had issues and i'm really disapointed right now. If only I bought a nvidia, actually i could play watch movies/series, surf on internet instead of righting here... I searched a solution from 2 week now that's why I really count on you to solve these problems (yes I've not only got one...)

First, here is my config :

CPU : fx 6350 black edition (with water cooler, the nepton 120xl from cooler master)

MotherBoard : MSI 970 Gaming

RAM : Kingston HyperX 4go 1600mhz (X3)

GPU : Sapphire r9 390 nitro oc

PSU : Corsair cx600

And now, my problems:

At the begining with a driver ver. 15.x, on desktop, internet or in games (that crashed), I got a message that said something like "display driver stopped responding and has recovered".

Since, I updated my driver (I tested several of them, right now I'm using the last one (16.5.2.1)), and now instead of display the message, I have a black screen and I need to reboot my computer. And it happens several times a day (sometimes 2/3 times in a row in not even 5 minutes...)

And when I have some kind of stability (that happens sometimes even if it's usually not for long), in games I've got big fps drops (dropping from 60-70 fps to barely 30 fps)

What I tried :

First I verify my cabling, then disabled the ULPS, disabled hardware acceleration in Chrome, tried with and without overclock, using the two bios of my GC but nothing changes... I begin to despair...

I would be soooooo grateful if someone can help me

• Re: R9 390 crashes every time and fps drops
          chummy

Did you tried decreasing your GPU memory clock already to something like 1300mhz or lower. Many users(myself included) already come here complaining same problem with 390 crashing/blackscreen while browsing doing 2d light tasks, but majority has zero problems playing heavy games.

You can see here some advises: https://community.amd.com/thread/198948

zorka

Hi chummy, thanks for your answer.

Well, I didn't try to underclock the memory, I'll try, I think your right by doing this I may resolve this problem.

But I wonder why in game, I've got some big drop... Today, I played the Division, I was stable on 60 fps (with v-sync) and then I got a drop to barely 30 fps, what can cause that?

Edit : Sometimes I've got the message "video driver stopped responding and has recovered" while playing game and so my game crash... (usually it comes after at least 1h of gaming, after check, it is not a temperature problem)

chummy

Do you use DDU to uninstall drivers? If not give it a try and reinstall the driver..

warsun

To Original Poster.Dude.

Go back to 15.7. Not 15.7.1 An do not install 16.5 or any others until the bugs are worked out.Trust me.I tried every one of the 16. series Crimson an they give great performance but then crash my 390 the same one you have.Dont do it.I already filled out a report.I hope they read it.But you should also report this issue.You need to completely remove it and the Microsoft Visual C++ that came with it. 2012 or 2013 i forget.

zorka

chummy

Do you use DDU to uninstall drivers? If not give it a try and reinstall the driver..

Yes of course I did but nothing changed...

warsun

To Original Poster.Dude.

Go back to 15.7. Not 15.7.1 An do not install 16.5 or any others until the bugs are worked out.Trust me.I tried every one of the 16. series Crimson an they give great performance but then crash my 390 the same one you have.Dont do it.I already filled out a report.I hope they read it.But you should also report this issue.You need to completely remove it and the Microsoft Visual C++ that came with it. 2012 or 2013 i forget.

Thanks for your advice, I tried a lot of drivers but I didn't tried the 15.7 one. I think I can catch up the same performance with a good overclock (but until now i didn't try to make a good overclock because i crash to much times and i couldn't know if it was a driver problem or the oc). I'll make a report too but I think they already know the problem...

Thanks again, I'll tell you if the problem will be solved

zorka

Well, Warsun, you were pretty right, with the 15.7 ver, i had only one crash. So it is the most stable driver i tried until now for my GC.

But yesterday, I heard about a solution that works very very well too for much user experiencing the famous problem "video driver stopped responding and has recovered". Did you heard about the TdrDelay to modi fy at value 8 (or 10 if it doesn't work) in regedit? It works for much user on nvidia and AMD. What do you think? Because I'd like to use the crimson divers for their performance (and optimisation for lastest games such as The Division that I played very often at the moment)

ccarps

I have this same sapphire card and I have been using all of the drivers since 15.7. I too had experienced some "driver stopped responding" messages, and of the 4 different monitors in my house, I can only get it to not crash and produce a picture on one of them.

That being said, I have only had these issues using Display Port. What are you currently using?

zorka

I've got news ! ^^

Well to answer your question, i'm using hdmi, but i'm not sure if it matter because the problem we have seems to be experienced whatever the manufacturer of the card and port used.

But I've got a good news for you if you want to use crimson driver. I use my computer all day and for various tasks (even if it's much more for gaming), so I tested several things. And I can tell you that if you change the TdrDelay and set it on 8 (as i said before) you'll be able to use crimson without crash ! Right now i'm using the 16.4.2 version, since Monday evening and I didn't get any crash. I played like 6-7 hours in a row this night, and everything was right !

So today, I'd like to experience some overclock. And guess what? If you enable the AMD Overdrive, the card crash every 5 minutes... So I will see later if i can overclock properly with sapphire trixx later like i did before.

Conclusion of my last experiences :

• Change TdrDealy in registry seems to solve every crashing problems (With crimson drivers too)
                                    • Enable AMD Overdrive, even if I don't change any parameter --> my card get crashing every time

Need to see :

• I need to see in the next days if I don't get crashs
                                    • Overclock without enable AMD overdrive