21 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2016 9:22 PM by brucer

IMAGE  ...  AMD vs NVIDIA

kroms

If AMD want to become a major player and get back to being the Graphics Power house they were when it was ATI they need to change 1 thing.

Nvidia has learned a while back ago that it only has to appear better in the  gaming community then actually be better.

Perception  / faith and loyalty is a very powerful thing.  Nvidia Fanboys (or I only will buy NVIDIA users ) believe so much in NVIDIA they have faith that no matter what Nvidia's product is better and hence they will be loyal even when it may not be the case.

AMD needs to be more GAMING committed. They need a compete over haul starting with there image.  Let's be honest, there PR shows and product demo's certainly do nothing to gain any momentum any where on the net ,  not Facebook, not Twitter, not Instagram , not Twitch ,not anywhere.

When AMD starts treating there Product releases and shows as a fancy BIG spectacle only then will they become the on the net.

NVidia learnt a long time ago that it matters .  Even if they tend to be  a little over hyped and lacking in Truth overall.  At the end of the Day it gets a lot of attention all over the net.

AMD's very business way of doing product launches is appealing to ............very very few.  No hype, no glamor, no excitement, no anything.  Very low key and boring.

Nvidia took a page from APPLE and realized that even when you launch something that is not so big a deal , you STILL need to make IT SEEM  like it is a big deal.

• Re: IMAGE  ...  AMD vs NVIDIA
          black_zion

So when AMD launched the HD 5000 series and held a massive party on an aircraft carrier displaying a 24 screen Eyefinity setup, or earlier this year when AMD held a little launch party displaying a tiny little ITX system throwing out 60fps in Star Wars and even solidly powering a VR setup, those wasn't exciting enough?

Considering Radeon shipments are up 6.5% while GeForce shipments are down 6.5%, I would say AMD does not have an image problem.

AMD making 'substantial progress' against NVIDIA with GPU market share

bearcat22

The way I read it Amd shipments are only up 3.2%. And with Amd only having 29.4% market share and Nvidia just releasing a strong product things could get a lot worse next quarter. If Zen and Polaris don't have a good showing these forums may no longer be around. In my opinion.

AMD Takes More GPU Market Share From Nvidia In Q1 2016 - Builds Momentum Ahead Of Polaris Launch

black_zion

Yes, but look what nVidia is releasing and when they are releasing it. They are bringing out the high end parts, the cards which power the vast minority of the machines out there, and in a month with fewer than five letters in it, the slowest time for electronics purchases. AMD is starting with the parts which power the vast majority of machines, and will place special emphasis on notebook graphics with Polaris 11, the fastest growing section of a declining market, as well as what will power all 3 next generation gaming consoles.

bearcat22

The big money in gaming consoles isn't from the hardware. It's from the software. I think Amd has got itself too spread out right now. If Zen or Polaris fail even the profits from notebooks and consoles won't save them. Especially with Intels inroads on cheaper integrated chips. Why spend money on a low end discreet graphics card if an integrated chip is as good or better? Going to be a interesting year.

black_zion

Really? Because the PS4 and XBONE are expected to hit 80 million units combined by the end of this year, and if AMD charges $50 a chip and clears 30% as a net profit, over 3 years that's $100 Million per quarter on average. According to their financial reports, over the last 3 quarters they have averaged around $87 Million net profit per quarter in their embedded and custom SoC unit, which happens to be the only profitable division.

As far as Intel goes, they're due to sign a license agreement with AMD for graphics, so it won't matter if an AMD or Intel chip is present, AMD gets money from it, the same way as they were able to get a huge cash infusion from signing a deal with China for a custom SoC.

The only thing which is hurting AMD's image in the graphics department is idiot people who rush to blame AMD for problems in nVidia sponsored games which are so buggy they require hundreds of megabytes, if not gigabytes, in patches to fix. Processors being 40% slower than Intel were the result of AMD banking on a design which was never taken advantage of, a dumb decision not to tie both integer processors together for parallel processing, and using computers to design Bulldozer which led to 40% or more of wasted die and a ton of inefficiencies. Zen has been hand designed for half a decade.

bearcat22

Are you saying the problem with Amd's cards now are the games? Because if you are that is so wrong. You yourself have a Fury with problems. Amd's Crimson drivers are a disaster. Your in these forums a lot. Read thru them. Sure, some people don't know what there doing. But when you have tons of people with the same issues it's not a matter of knowledge. And it's not just Amd forums. I think Amd had to transfer a lot of people from there driver department to their Department of Propaganda just to try to keep up their image. Now don't get me wrong. The only cards I've ever owned were ATI\Amd. I want there GPU's to get better so I can finally upgrade my HD 7970's. But I'm feeling very skeptical at this point.

black_zion

Actually my Fury Nano doesn't have any problems, one of the past couple of driver releases fixed the image corruption problem even without a power control option. And if you looked at the nVidia forums you would see how they are just as filled with complaints and issues as this one, people who use the green team know it's not any greener on that side of the fence, even on their sponsored games. Heck, if AMD used nVidia's support policy, for example, your cards would long since have been placed in legacy support status.

brucer

I think amd is going to lose more customers now than they ever have unless they change.. The fiji lineup is disappointing to say the least.

ambrose

Quote  " The only thing which is hurting AMD's image in the graphics department is idiot people who rush to blame AMD for problems in nVidia sponsored games which are so buggy they require hundreds of megabytes, if not gigabytes, in patches to fix."

Hello All,

Agree completely with this, I'll never figure out what the big rush is sometimes getting games out the door when it comes to the point that they need even more tweaks after launch.

Personally I was always a person that I may have wanted to get a game as quick as possible I honestly have/had no problem waiting for a good release, if a game was slated to launch 1 month from now I would rather wait 6 months or more to have a bug free release, but the big guy only sees, $$$$$$$$$$.

As with AMD I am glad they don't go through all the flash!!!!!! If your good at something or produce a good product then you don't need all the glam and glitz to seal a deal.

I cannot see myself ever computing/gaming without AMD/ATI under the hood, Granted they need to rapp some noggin knuckles on some heads when it comes to taking decent features out of their old cc and omitting them from the new Crimson. They might not seem like important things to the Devs. but when long time supporters of AMD/ATI get use to those little things, they tend to get a bit Pi$$ed when some Dev decided that those features were not needed anymore.

And I won't get into the Drivers updating too much but could it be better??? Sure but I think they are trying a little harder.

In Short AMD/ATI I feel are trying to produce a product(s) that will supply a very broad user base while " NV " is really only thinking on the gamer/3D side of things.

Cheers, N.G.

P.S.

2 Things I won't do ( One I won't avoid later down the road )

1:  I won't have a computer with out AMD

2:  I won't think of buying a computer with windows 10 ( I feel that's causing a lot of grief, more then people want to admit )

kroms

After making the switch to Windows 10 , i can honestly say  It is so much better for me then Win7 pro ever was.

I too wanted to stay on WIN7 but out of curiosity i installed Win10 on  a new SSD and well , never looked back because the performance gained was real and much better then when i booted on Win7.

brucer

I disagree.. just look at all the driver issues amd is currently having with their entire line of gpu's with windows 10

kroms

But that's the thing, I'm not having those Issues now on my Windows 10.  In fact if you look at my Past Posts I was having the EXACT same issues and more , ( system unstable) in Win 7 Pro all the time.

I cant explain it, I cant find the missing link but for me I can honestly say performance on my Windows 10 Boot, dwarfs what I get on Windows 7 boot.

I have Dual boot on either one so once in a while I will go back and see the difference if I check something out.

Id be the first to complain if I was having the same result in my windows 10 setup.

I dont know , maybe the fact I reinstalled a FRESH copy of Win 10 pro on  NEW SSD  instead of upgrading my Windows 7 pro to  10 ?

Anyways, yes it is frustrating to those who have2 GPU's and have issues.

bearcat22

According to the fanboys there are no problems with Amd cards or drivers. There's only 3 things that are screwing things up.

1) People don't know what their doing.

2) The games are wrecking things.

3) Nvidia is sneaking into people houses at night and messing with their computers.

Lol.

aiml3zz

well just letting some juice here too im using an AMD FX 8320e (At 4,4GHZ) with my Trusty GTX 950 oc (+150/400mhz)

maybe ur right maybe ur wrong but i have alot of problems with that GTX 950 even on games. If i look back at Bo3 it was a full diaster with drivers crashing my whole system ! And the Problem wasnt only with this game Even on Tree of Savior my card died out again because of a faulty driver problem !

U cant say amd is bad and nividia is the best thats clearly the most crap ever read here..

kroms

Exactly ,  I never said NVIDIA is better  or AMD is ,  I  know there are issues on both sides.

bearcat22

I agree. If Nvidia didn't have any problems I would have upgraded my cards a year ago. What I'm saying is that there's people in these forums that won't admit to Amd's problems. When Amd's new top of the line GPU comes out I'll compare it to the GTX 1080. Then make a decision. But one thing is for sure. If whatever card I buy doesn't work out of the box with the newest drivers it's getting packed up and sent back. I'm not doing the "wait for the next driver release" thing.

ambrose

Hello Everyone,

Thought I would see how this thread is doing, As to BearCats reply of " If it doesn't work out of the box...." These cards seem like the higher end cards so I would like to ask,

Would some of these issues ( Putting aside O.S. ) be the result of quick installs, or possibly missing/forgetting/omitting some install steps that people may and/or may not have done before? And in regards to the install ( Successfully ???? ) are people just Bammm!!!! overclocking straight away? And what Apps are people using to perform this overclocking that could be causing issues as well? The O.C. app might have faulty code in it's newer version.

I don't O.C. so a little out of my element, I never seen a need for it. How many people fall into the Audiophile/ Videophile  group that could detect these small changes. Eg. If a person already gets 180 FPS if they stress their card more via O.C. can they really detect another 3-5 FPS without having a app to tell them??

And as for updating my drivers I have always followed the same steps and I have never had an issue with driver updates. Again I am out of my element so excuse my ignorance.

Sincerely, N.G.

bearcat22

I have OC'd a few graphics card in my time but it's not something I normally do. Personally I find the returns from it are not as significant as oc'ing a CPU. You can improve your benchmarking scores but as for real life gaming I'm not sure it's worth the wear and tear. If your only getting 30 fps then I guess another 5 fps helps. But if your at 60 fps the difference won't be as noticeable.

Some of the problems people encounter with graphics card is defiantly due to lack of experience. That's why forums like these can help.  But when you start seeing groups of people with the same card problems or the same problems with drivers then it's a different thing.

If you don't have too update your drivers for a specific reason then it's best just to leave them alone. That goes for pretty much all your devices. Not just graphics cards.

brucer

Thats what I did with my Fury, I didnt care to have top of the line, just wanted a good functioning card that was reliable.. and I think paying just over $500 for a gpu one would expect it and not have to settle for something you have to mess with changing drivers weekly, and still experiencing glitching after months, and that makes one think reliability wont be so good in the long run..

I overclock cpus and gpus if I can, its free performance.. I dont get radical with it, I dont put a lot of stress on it as long as it stays well within temperature limits I will.. These Fury cards dont overclock very well, but I have ran mine up to 100mhz overclcock and didnt notice much difference actually, so I just set it back to stock.. My I5 on the other hand is overclocked a bunch, 4.5ghz, and it will remain there. I'm not downclocking a cpu to suit a gpu, if I need to do that for the gpu to function properly , I'll just get rid of the gpu..