4 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2016 11:17 AM by amdmatt

Did a Windows 10 update make my GPU stop working?

powersaver111

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2Ghz Quad Core

MB: Asrock Z75 Pro3 Z75 LGA 1155

RAM: G. SKill Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB  Video Card

Hi,

I recently installed a Windows 10 update which (I believe) screwed up priority or detection of my graphics card. I don't know exactly what happened. Actually, I'm not even sure if that's what caused the problem to start with but that would be my best guess. Since I haven't installed any new hardware or anything. My computer went from working perfectly fine one day to -> reluctantly choosing the "Shutdown and update" -> and on my next boot up the GPU isn't being used by my system.

I've tried installing and uninstalling drivers, resetting BIOS, using DDU to uninstall AMD's drivers and a whole lot of other stuff. (Most likely done incorrectly I'm sure.) Which eventually led me to having to reset my computer (with most files saved). At this point I'm at a loss as to what I can do.. and pretty defeated. So, if there's any other information needed to help resolve this problem then please let me know.

Thanks.

P.S.

Posting this at 2:36 AM.

Been working on this for a long time.

Really, really sucks.

Edit: I would greatly appreciate it if this could be moved to an appropriate place if I've posted it in the wrong place.

Thanks.

2nd Edit: Added graphics card.