AnsweredAssumed Answered

Crossfire R9 280x crash/BSOD

Question asked by kagstrom2100 on May 18, 2016

So I recently got another ASUS R9 280x DCUII card, though It's caused a lot of problems...

When I start Battlefield 4 with Crossfire on the game loads for like 10-20 seconds then it freezes, the sounds keep going, but the screen is just stuck. You have to do a hard reset to fix it... Though when it freezes it first only freeze the middle screen (the on the game is on) but then after like 5 more second all the screens freeze (I got 3 in total).

So I though that it might be a driver issue, but that wasn't it as when I tried 16.3.2 I got the exact same problem.

Running other smaller games like Prison Architect works fine, but then that doesn't utilize crossfire so yeah...

I haven't clocked the cards at all. I've even tried under-clocking them as I though that the problem may be because my PSU doesn't have enough power as when I used the Cooler master PSU calculator it showed that load wattage was 789 W. See image here http://imgur.com/DDEw8m2

The temps are fine, got a well ventilated case and the cards don't go over 60-70 on full load.

Another problem I discovered today is that if I run say BF4 in windowed mode it runs fine.

Also when I tried running FurMark to test the cards I got the "thread stuck in device driver" BSOD.

My Specs:

2x ASUS R9 280x

Corsair 16 GB RAM

ASUS Z87 Pro Motherboard

Intel i7 4770k  @ 3.5 GHz

Running WIndows 8.1 x64

EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W

Would appreciate any advice on what I could do. I'm just really tried of all this and kinda wish I nerver got the second card, even thinking about selling it...

UPDATE:

So I seem to have found a temporary fix, which is to turn off Frame Pacing in the AMD control panel, though this only partially fixes it since some games still crash when running them with crossfire forcing you to have to turn crossfire off for those games if you want to play them...

Outcomes