16 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2016 8:56 PM by sunrunner

I'm trying to put a system together based on the fx8350 processor and the R9 380 gpu for Ubuntu 16.04. I'm having difficulty trying to figure out what motherboard to buy.

sunrunner

I'm looking to put together a machine based on the fx 8350 chip and an R9 380 video card for financial and statistical programs that  I write myself in C++ using 64 bit Lubuntu 16.04 LTS as the operating system. I've done a lot of research on this and from what I've read both Gigabyte and MSI 970A series have problems with ethernet connection and USB 2.0-3.0 even when the iommu setting is set to on in the motherboard. It seems the 990fx series does better in these respects.  ASUS seems to be the most Linux friendly regardless of distro. Can anyone suggest a motherboard that will be Lubuntu 16.04 friendly without too many setup issues. Please note that  I really don't need the power of the R9 380 card but it works well with the new AMDGPU driver and for the most part what is most important is that I can read the screen without distortion.

Thank you

• Re: I'm trying to put a system together based on the fx8350 processor and the R9 380 gpu for Ubuntu 16.04. I'm having difficulty trying to figure out what motherboard to buy.
          amdmatt

The Asus Crosshair Formula Z and Sabertooth are both high regarding AMD Motherboards with good VRM cooling. Perhaps the community can offer some other suggestions.

• Re: I'm trying to put a system together based on the fx8350 processor and the R9 380 gpu for Ubuntu 16.04. I'm having difficulty trying to figure out what motherboard to buy.
            abi

In my opinion motherboards are all about features, My prefered features are beefy power phase, chipset, quality sound and good ethernet to keep my net stable.

-I already used a fx8350 on 970chipset and my NB simply heated a lot, just by changing to a 990fx chipset the NB temp went down 20ºc.

-if you like to OC, power phases are really important to keep voltg stable and not killing your cpu, for 8 cores find something 8+2 at least. gigabyte boards are awesome.

- If you like games FPS were sound is really important and ethernet stable, go with a mobo with good sound quality and good ethernet, MSI motherboards offer good boards on this.

-Asus motherboards are really balanced boards and always a good pick

- If you have money to spare buy the Asus Formula Z or sabertooth MOBO

techguy

The Asrock 990FX based Extreme 9, Fatality 990FX Killer and Fatality Pro mobos all work very well and have proper VRM designs and cooling to power the FX-8 core CPUs without issues that other mobos experience.

sunrunner

Thank you for your suggestions. Most of the replies received have been for

ASUS boards. Generally Sabertooth and Asus Crosshair Formula Z.  I'm going

to check into your suggestions also.

Victor

techguy

The major brands of Asian mobos are usually fully capable as long as you buy the proper mobo for your CPU and needs. I've used all of the major brands and the only mobos that I have had fail in 25 years of building PCs, were both Asus. Asus uses several other companies to manufacture their mobos so IME you never know what you are actually getting for your money.

As far as performance all of the modern top shelf model mobos perform virtually the same so it's a matter of choosing the mobo that has what you need at the best price. I can tell you from personal experience with Asus, Gigabyte, Epox, Intel, Asrock and more, only Asrock has provided good customer support. When the first Asus mobo failed after 3 months use I returned it to Asus U.S. under warranty. Asus sent me a hand soldered modified mobo that looked like it had been lying on the ground along side a roadway for six months. I returned it to Asus and bought a Gigabyte Ultra Durable mobo which worked without issue. In recent years I have found Asrock to be producing some of the best AM3+ mobos available at any price and quality customer support.

Understand that just like with CPU or GPU brands people have their favorite mobo brands for whatever reasons. Asus likes to supply "special" mobos and BIOS to reviewers to get slightly higher benchmark results than the competition. Consumer's don't get these "special" mobos or BIOS that Asus provides for free to reviewers who provide positive reviews that imply Asus mobos are superior, when in independent tests all of the top mobos score virtually the same performance because they all use the same AMD chipsets. Brand or product popularity does not necessarily  equal better performance or reliability.  I'm sure that with a little research, you will be able to find a mobo that fits your needs and budget.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          sunrunner

I just received your message and am waiting for ASROCK to respond back to

my questions about their motherboard. I'm not familiar with that particular

manufacturer and would like to see how intelligently they answer my

questions. I've set on my calendar to mark the quality of response by

Friday  May 27, 2016  7:00pm. Your answer has definitely been helpful but

I'm not sure if it is correct for my particular situation.

I'm a financial, statistical, and engineering system analyst/programmer

and do advanced CPU core manipulation and memory partitioning for advanced

data mining and security. It is critical that the motherboard allow access

to the majority of functionality for the fx8350 CPU, AMD's libraries and

the memory installed on the motherboard. Normally it takes a couple of

weeks of tech support going back and forth before transferring my ticket to

engineering before I get the answers I need to make an educated decision.

I've been using ASUS Boards since 94 and have never questioned their

quality or customer support until now.  It seems the quality control that

I've experienced from ASUS in years past has diminished to the point of not

being acceptable. Although I don't expect a tech support person to fully

understand the engineering/architectural aspects of the product, the

unwillingness to advance me to staff who can assist with advanced questions

is disappointing at best.

In concerns to ratings I'm not so much concerned about that, but what the

hardware can do for me. I've been using the ASUS M5 series motherboard for

a couple of years with the fx8350 chip and have had good success with it.

The problem I'm running into is that as I've grown in my programming skills

but the motherboard locks out advanced functionality of the the 8350 chip.

The ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula-Z is supposed to open up the full

capabilities of that chip but it has been like hammering through a cinder

block wall with a toothpick trying to get someone from ASUS tech support

to  connect me with an experienced person who can talk to me in like terms.

Hopefully the support at ASRock is more open to helping out a potential

power user of their products than ASUS. Again thank you for the information

I'm following up on it as quickly as possible.

Victor

sunrunner

I updated your reply to helpful. Right now I still awaiting more

information from ASROCK.  I received two emails this morning. One is from

ASROCK that they are updating my questions to a higher level of support

which is good. Also after a couple of emails to ASUS tech support  I

finally got a reply that allows an informed decision. It was suggested I

look at the ASUS Sabertooth. Several other members of the forum also

suggested this board.  It has had more upgrades than the  ASUS ROG

Crosshair V Formula-Z.

Informed tech support is important to me. Before making a final decision I

am interested to find out what  ASROCK tech support recommends. From my

research ASRock boards get a higher rating than the ASUS ROG Crosshair V

Formula-Z but very similar ratings to the Sabertooth. As mentioned,

functionality not just ratings are of concern. I'm just not familiar enough

with ASROCK boards to pick the right one. But so far I am impressed with

how the ASROCK tech support has handled themselves.

tomtalk24

To unintentionally cause confusion, but to add my expertise to the mix again and clean a few wrongs up...

Never had a problem with Asus, both the Formula Z and Sabertooth have/had a great following so you have a wealth of information to fall back onto if you need. A lot of its users are still active on places like overclockers.net, you also have a few active users here. So if you do run into trouble running Lubuntu along the line your in good hands with knowledgeable users all over the shop. Ubuntu MATE has yet to have problems on my mobo, stable as a rock and I do a fair bit of compilation as well as light work. It runs cool as a cucumber when idling and manages well under stress.

Again the customer support is just excellent, prompt, efficient and willing. The way they handled my mobo replacement was impressive, you pay for what you get I guess.

I think the general consensus in the AMD enthusiast community is if you want the best AMD 990 chipset mobos (a fairly mature chipset base at that) then go with Asus, as much as I hate to say it as a good number of tech reviewers stand by Asus like gods speak . But as with everything a customer is won over with good service and product quality.

Working on code you have the quality of components to comfort your mind knowing you'll be stable, grunt when you compile your code again stable. A community to get you up and running if anything goes wrong, and the company itself determined not to effect your work flow. Should tick your boxes.

Looks like you have this ball rolling and I do hope you find whats right, but if you have any Ubuntu questions regarding these mobos fire away will be happy to assist.

sunrunner

I've read several articles about the ZEN architecture and had no idea AMD  is

having difficulties in the marketplace with their current chip sets.

Personally the fx8350 has met my needs with no disappointments but I bought

several units years ago.   I generally replace my equipment every 4 years

and don't spend much time keeping up with the latest and greatest until

then.

Right now I am still interested in putting together a new PC and believe it

would be smarter to go with Intel architecture. I'm going to hold off on a

full upgrade of all my equipment until Zen can be evaluated. Since there

have been so many complaints about the recent  AMD based motherboards not

working optimally, including ASUS,  from numerous sources it seems a new

Intel  build  would serve two purposes. One would be giving me the

opportunity to build a computer from scratch, which I have never done, and

a secondary implementation of my software on a different platform to see

the differences in performance. If this Zen architecture is the fix to all

these motherboard issues, then I definitely will be back to the AMD

platform.  Actually it looks quite promising and I love the improvements

from the Pile Driver or the Bulldozer platform.  Too bad it isn't out there

yet.

I have never  been disappointed with the FX8350 nor  read many bad reviews

about the chip itself.  The only real complaint has been the original

cooling fan is too loud on the newest unit I bought which I compensated for

by  purchasing  a third party unit.  Also I plan to stick to my Sapphire R9

380 GPU. It works great with AMDGPU and see no reason to swap it out. I’ve

used it with Ubuntu 16.04, LUbuntu 16.04, Mint 17, Fedora 23 and Arch Linux

(various versions) with no issues in any of them. I’m not a gamer so my

usage may not be as forceful as others who depend on the GPU more.

At this point I believe there is enough information from the various

sources I’ve contacted to move on. Right now waiting for Zen is not an

option and I have to make the best decision I can based on the facts

obtained.

abi

hey, I also agree with you in the part that if I had to build a PC today i would go with skylake, its the most recente platform already supporting DDR4.

Regarding AMD has a bad time, its completly true and its easily explained also. On 2011 AMD released bulldozer architecture for theyr new CPUs and ended has a failure, at 2011 market wanted from CPU:

Single Core Performance

Power efficiency

Integrated graphics (for company work stations)

Low value

If you think in Bulldozer he had a medium priced 8cores CPU (FX81xx) with great Multicore Performance, but no Integrated Graphics, weak single core performance and no pwer eficient. On the other hand Intel gave to the market everithing it needed. And by this reason AMD that had a 50-50 market share with Intel ended up with 80-20. Thats the reason.

For examplt FX8150 was 250$ CPU on release and some months later was 175$, the CPU was completely out of the market needs at that time. To make things even worse AMD made 5year contract with Global Foundries to build theyr CPUs, with a cpu fixed Die Syze, Nº cores, and 32nm Manufc process, which means they got stuck to theyr own architecture for 5 years.

However in 2013 AMD released the FX83XX revised version and in my opinion this is the most underrated CPU of all time. The CPU has 8-cores, but doubled the integr/cache modules from, 2 on FX81xx to 4modules on FX83xx, also improved a lot the single core performance and the multicore was even better. Additonally AMD released Mantle software that allowed linear command software to buffers to Multicore CPUs.

Due to the preview FX81xx the FX83xx still got bad reviews but in my opnion is one of the best CPUs on the market even today. For me as a conusmer is great FX83xx is underrated because i buy a great CPU for low price

But today in 2016 the PC market wants:

Multicore Performance

Power efficiency

Integrated graphics (for company work stations)

Low value

Thats why AMD bulldozer CPus are aging so well and better then Intel, with DX12, Vulkan, and all multicore software out there the FX83xx gives you more performance than ever.

Now we are at 2016, 5 years hv passed now since bulldozer architecute. AMD will release ZEN and its very unlikely that AMD will make same mistakes from the past, Im almost sure than ZEN will provide huge CPUs

polarbearking

Just my observation, but if you actually look at all the mobos on either newegg, tigerdirect, amazon, etc. You will see a lot of them with 4-5 star reviews but how they come up with that is beyond me. There are more negative reviews than positive, so how are they 4 stars? My suspicion is they are doing the same as Facebook with the like button but no option to hate or dislike. But clearly based on reviews of all mobos no matter intel or amd, we can obviously conclude that none of these manufacturers have a QA dept.

To be honest, here is my mobo purchase process:

I first confirm warranty / return fine print is too my satisfaction.

If the board is cheap enough, I will buy 3 or 4 of them, (given no restocking fee) test each one and return the others that are bad or don't need.

Or

When I make the purchase, the very next day when I receive shipping details, I call for an RMA of the one in transit. If the first is defective, I already have an RMA for it, then as soon as I get notified the new one was shipped I again call for a new RMA for the second one while it is in transit. If the second arrival is fine, there is no penalty for not completing an RMA if your keeping the device.

This is great method of you have a local pc store with a standard return policy with no restocking fee. Example: best buy in my area has good variety on components. They also have a no ? Ask 15 day return policy. I go there, buy the part I need, install it in my pc, if I'm satisfied I remove it and return it, then buy it online. For some reason best buy has a serious 20-40% mark up on all there items, no matter pc, tv, appliances. At least the best buy in my area. The last actual purchase I kept from a best buy was back in 2005 they had a black Friday deal on rechargeable batteries.

sunrunner

I've noticed that the level of negativism toward products tend to go down

significantly between the months of July and October. Between  November

(Start of holiday shopping season) and June (Father's day buying ends).

Right now the amount of bad reviews coming in are much higher than the good

reviews but if you look over the entire periods of purchase of an

individual mobo you will see the comments are much tamer during the lesser

busy US shopping seasons. I kind of wonder with all that negativism how do

these products get past two eggs or stars but I believe it is an average of

a much longer period of time the averages are being calculated, not  just

the high shopping seasons.

I did not realize this when I started the thread but is becoming more

obvious this is part of the reason why I'm having such a hard decision just

based on reviews. I've had so many folks reply to me saying they don't know

why there are so many  bad reviews because their mobo's have worked

correctly from the git-go. Especially when it comes to ASUS.. I've used

ASUS for over 12 years and I think only one ever went bad and the cat had a

paw in.

In the case of the AMD motherboard manufacturers, it looks like too many

have Zen on the brain and are dropping production numbers in older mobo's

to prepare for the new platform. I'm getting the impression that a lot of

these newer negative comments are coming from recycled boards being sent

back out as being new due to lack of inventory.

I can't prove it but if you read the comments the first motherboard was

bad but the next one was perfect is a constant theme. It sounds a little

suspicious.

The only consistent issue that is being discussed in a lot of reviews

which bothers me to no end is the failure across all of the mobo's

supporting USB 3.0/3.1, esata and Ethernet connectivity even when IMMOU is

turned on with a Linux system using AMD technology.  Normally the ethernet

and USB 2.0 can be gotten to work  but for some reason even though these

manufacturers claim they support USB 3.0 and ESata  these technologies they

don't work correctly with various distros of  Linux on the AMD side. Ubuntu

16.04, LUbuntu 16.04, Mint 17, Fedora 23, Arch Linux are the ones I was

able to test.   Fortunately I had a friend of mine who graciously allowed

me to reformat his box that had an 8350 chip , and ASUS Crosshair-V

Formula-Z motherboard which is supposed to be one of the Cadillac boards

for Linux.  It's not a very professional way of testing but at least it

gave me some insight into some of the comments I've been reading.

Also I realize a lot of these products work fine with Windows but I am only

interested in working with Linux due to its high performance. I do a lot of

financial, statistical, and engineering style programming and find Linux

gives me a 300% performance boost without having to write any special

algorithms.

Also I have five computers with fx8350 chips and ASUS M5A99 boards that

have been working fine for close to 4 years in all respects so what is up

with that compared to the negative comments I keep reading. I'm thinking

the boards are not coming in as new from the factories but being repackaged

as new and your buying strategies  feed into that hypothesis.

I'm not sure I'm ready to go for such  measures as yours when buying

computer parts but it  gives me some good insights on how to proceed with a

totally different buying strategy than I was thinking of before.

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 6:49 PM, polarbearking <amd-external@jiveon.com>