4 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2016 6:58 AM by tredbobek

atikmdag.sys BSOD even after complete Windows reinstall

tredbobek

Hi!

I've a rather interesting and annoying problem.

One day I started my laptop (HP Pavilion DV6-6112SG) and it had a BSOD. I didn't really do much with it at the moment because I was in school.

At home, I tried almost everything I could find on the internet. The only way I could reach the desktop without crashing and using the Safe Mode was to delete the atikmdag.sys file, because the BSOD always had problem with that.

I tried using the AMD driver cleaner thing, reinstalling the latest drivers, reinstalling an old driver (I bought it in 2012, so I used a driver somewhere between today and 2012). Nothing, always crash.

My laptop had a recovery system, which reinstalled the system (it installed a win7, with basic programs and HP softwares). I tried that, but even after that I had the same problem. Always the atikmdag.sys (I'm starting to hate that "word").

Well, I tried a few more things, but nothing seemed to help, so I decided to get a Windows 8 (as a student I could get one for free), and formated the whole thing and installed a windows 8... and the problem persists...

Still, if I delete the file in safe mode I can use the laptop, but the video card and the processor wont work correctly, of course. And now, if I try to install a driver, it will BSOD in the middle of the installation.

I'm out of ideas. The video card might be dead, might be not, I don't know. To be honest I have no idea how to check it (the only thing I tried is the dxdiag thing, but that didn't find anything).

The laptop: HP Pavilion DV6-6112SG

Microprocessor

1.8 GHz AMD Quad-Core A8-3510MX APU with Radeon HD 6620G

Microprocessor Cache

4 MB L2 cache

Memory

8 GB DDR3

Memory Max

Upgradeable to 8 GB DDR3

Video Graphics

AMD Radeon HD 6755G2 Dual GPU (1 GB DDR5 dedicated

Video Memory

up to 4.98 GB total)

Display

39,6 cm (15,6") High-Definition LED HP BrightView Display (1366 x 768)

Hard Drive

750 GB SATA (5400 rpm)

Multimedia Drive

Blu-ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD±R/RW Double Layer

Network Card

Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN

Wireless Connectivity

802.11 b/g/n

Sound

Beats sound system

Keyboard

Full size keyboard with integrated numeric keypad

Pointing Device

TouchPad supporting Multi-Touch gestures and On/Off button

PC Card Slots

Multi-Format Digital Media Card Reader for Secure Digital cards, Multimedia cards

Originally it had a Windows 7 64 bit version, right now it has a Windows 8.1 Professional 64 bit version.

(I have a desktop PC, so I don't mind if it can't run a game, but if I want to visit my parents for a week, I would love to have laptop that can run a game )

Any ideas?

I still have hope

Thanks!