1 Reply Latest reply on May 15, 2016 7:27 PM by techguy

AMD A10-5745m low thermal margin

lastpotato99

Hi,

I have an AMD A10-5745m Processor, when I first turn my laptop on (from standby) I open up AMD Overdrive and check the thermal margin. At this point the thermal margin is around 25-26 degrees Celsius and the frequency is moving up and down considerably, as seen in this video (sorry for low quality). As I am typing this the thermal margin is fluctuating between 5-15 Degrees Celsius, I have 3 tabs open in Firefox, Skype is running and I have MS Outlook open. Are these Temperatures normal considering the maximum Temperature of the 5745m is 105 Degrees Celsius which means that on boot it is already at 80 degrees Celsius. While watching a 1080p YouTube video for about 2 minutes the Thermal Margin frequently goes to -2 Degrees Celsius.

• Re: AMD A10-5745m low thermal margin
          techguy

It's quite probable that AOD is NOT using the correct 105C max temp for your APU. If your CPU reaches the max operating temp that AMD has internally programmed it for it will either drop the frequency and core voltage to cool the processor or shut down completely. I have recommended that AMD users NOT used the AOD version that shows "thermal margin" because it does NOT use the correct max temps to calculate thermal margin. Newer versions of programs like AIDA64, HWiNFO, Core Temp, OCCT and earlier versions of AOD that show CPU temp, should be able to report the correct temps for your processor in the 60C + range.