1 Reply Latest reply on May 15, 2016 3:59 AM by iklier

Driver crash/restart takes down Windows 10 (XFX R9 Nano)

iklier

Issue:

Earlier in the week I finally got all the pieces to build a new gaming system and I've been unable to get the Windows to load with Crimson drivers installed.

On the first boot after installing the motherboard drivers, I manager to install the Crimson Edition 16.5.2 Hotfix drivers and get the system partially setup, but loading a game (The Division) took down the system (display locked up, sound looped (GPU Restart?) and system rebooted), after that Windows would fail to boot.

Config:

Asus Z170I Pro Gaming (BIOS and Motherboard drivers are up to date.)

Intel Core i5-6600k

Kraken X61 Radiator

Corsair HX850i PSU

HyperX Fury 16GB(2x8GB) 2666 HX426C15FBK2/16

Samsung 950 M.2 (boot-drive)

Samsung 840 Evo (game-drive)

XFX R9 Nano

Wasabi Mango UHD420 via DP (tried with FreeSync on and off) (tried my backup display LG 34UM95 via DP and HDMI as well.)

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

NZXT Manta Case

2x 120mm intake fans

1x 120mm exhaust fan

Notes:

- The system will boot into Windows in Safe Mode without issue with the display connected to R9

- With the BIOS set to iGPU and the AMD drivers not installed I can boot into Windows

*If I then install the AMD drivers (Crimson Edition 16.5.2 Hotfix or Crimson Edition 16.3.2 WHQL) the drivers will crash loop until Windows goes down or the card is disabled in Device Manager

- When installing the AMD drivers there is a brief display blank (I think to try and load the drivers) and when it comes back up there will be some persistent display corruption.

- GPU list listed as POST successful in BIOS

What I have tried:

1. Reseated the card and power cables

2. Disabled the iGPU in BIOS

3. Tried with only one stick of RAM installed (mentioned in multiple places)

4. Updated the card to the newer UEFI VBIOS

5. Tried both the WHQL and Hotfix drivers

I've started the RMA process for the card as I've exhausted my expertise in this area. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.