6 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2016 3:02 AM by graj0

ATI X1300 drivers vista

graj0

I have a suspicion that frequent system crashes I'm experiencing are something to do with the screen display, they started at the same time. Admittedly it is an old Dell XPS 210 with Vista and the ATI X1300 drivers are no longer supported. Any relevant thoughts appreciated. 

• Re: ATI X1300 drivers vista
          black_zion

Upgrade the entire system, or buy an HD 5450 for $10.

graj0

Thank you for your suggestion and you're right, an upgrade of the entire system is what I should do.

Replacing the graphics board is definitely a viable proposition, even with the UK price being £22 ($32), a good idea.

Head and heart say one thing, wallet says something else.

Thanks again.

Best Regards

Graham Jones

black_zion

I know the feeling, but there's something very important to note, and that is that Windows Vista has fewer than 350 days of life left, April 11th, 2017 is its drop dead date, and your system isn't compatible with Windows 10. You need to start looking around for a replacement machine.

graj0

". . . . . . April 11th, 2017 is its drop dead date".

Thanks for the warning, I'll try not to think of the money I've spent renewing/upgrading PCs over the last 25 years. At least I got 8 years out of this one so I'm not complaining. Maybe I'll start a museum with the old PCs up in my loft HaHaHa.  

Best regards

Graham

noelpg5

Upgrade the hardware on the Dell XPS 210 first, before upgrading to Windows 10.  See the product manuals on the Dell web site on what kind of hardware you need to replace.

Replace the RAM chips on the Dell computer with two 2Gb memory sticks so that there's a total of 4Gb.

Otherwise, you'll have to use a 32bit Win10 OS instead of the 64bit version.  The Crucial.com web site has details on how much maximum of RAM the Dell XPS 210 computer can handle.

Apparently, there are some X1300 drivers from Microsoft Update Catalog (use IE to view the MS Update Catalog site) - just manually download & install one after installing Windows 10.  You must perform an "offline" install of Windows 10, meaning install Windows 10 from a DVD or USB Flash media, and not through an internet/web/online installation.  Use the Media Creation tool to make either a Win10 DVD or Win10 USB flash drive media and install from there.