10 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2016 1:37 PM by derrickgott007

Cpu cooling

dragonoverlord

So I have an athlon x4 860k that i need to cool. I currently have a stock cooler that is just frankly a pain in the rear and loud as can be while hitting 6k rpm under small load. The cpu doesnt tend to hit really high tens ( averages around 60-70c under load) I am looking to buy a cpu cooler. I have seen the 212 evo for sell in reddit groups for around $20 but never seemt o be able to get the deal. I have also seen the h60 water cpu cooler for around 40$. which one would be better and ( yes this will seem like begging) but does anyone have one they could give me a deal on.

• Re: Cpu cooling
          iamthesaga

amd-95w-thermal-solution.jpg Are you using this stock cooler?  I do not have a spare cooler to give you a deal on.  I use the Wraith on my FX8370.  It works well.  Typically, the water cooling should be more effective in its cooling.  It is a decent AiO and at $40, it is at at great price.  Usually $55-$60 new. 

Here is a thread similar to your question: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO vs Water Cooling [Solved] - Cooler Master - Components 

dragonoverlord

not even close it sort of looks like this one b37q3d

dragonoverlord

my biggest issue is lack of funds, that frankly is why my build has taken more then a year.

iamthesaga

I was and still am in the same boat.  The way it works for me is I have to sell things to get money for other things that I like or want.  I had to sell some unused and unneeded music gear and software plus do a side job to replace a keyboard in a Chromebook to gather my funds to get something up and running. 

Maybe search the interwebs for the newer stock cooler that someone might not want if they are using an aftermarket one.  You might get lucky.  If you can get the $40 together, I would go with the AiO Corsair. 

dragonoverlord

ya trying to sell stuff as we speak, I lack a job but might be able to squeak by with my monthly lawn care for the in-laws (yes i am an adult). Jobs here are hard to come by but i did also contact a local computer repair/sales guy i know and maybe he can hook me up but I have no idea on him. Honestly i think even the wraith would be an upgrade to what i have.

jamesc359

Water cooling is great and all that, but it's probably a bit of an overkill for your current CPU. If you can shop online a Hyper 212 Evo is only $30 shipped at NewEgg. The only way you'll get a better deal is if you could pick a cooler up locally. Which brings up the computer repair guy you mentioned. I'd strongly suggest seeing what he has. Keep in mind that a used Hyper 212 Evo is only worth about $15-$20 and a plain Hyper 212 Plus maybe $10-$15 or so depending upon condition of course.

dragonoverlord

yep i have been shopping in a reddit group called /r/hardwareswap and found them around $20 shipped for the 212 evo. Just have not been able to land the deal. ( i have shopped this reddit before and have not gotten screwed on items) I have contacted the local guy just waiting his response. Thanks for the assistance.

derrickgott007

I have a Cooler Master Hyper T4 Due to my case size, and it works great keeping my FX8350 cool.  I still have the stock cooler that came on the 8350 (never applied it) if you still need one and are short cash.  I don't think I'll ever use it if you wanted it.  Just let me know dragonoverload And it's yours, free of charge (if you are in the usa)   

We are #AMDRedTeam , where community matters  and we take care of each other.  All I ask is you pay it forward sometime and help someone else in need.  

dragonoverlord

I actually managed to get a Hyper 212 evo on monday which is being shipped to me. Thank you for the very kind offer as well as ever one else's words of advice.

amdredteam Is such a wonderful community, I have been looking for ways to pay it forward to people. My current way of doing that is offering my knowledge to people with questions and getting them parts builds which have good performance while not being expensive or using up a full budget on the cpu/gpu (looking at you intel/nvidia) and instead spreading it out to get the most bang for your buck.