4 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2016 2:41 PM by neimanj

When upgrading my display drivers Windows 10 will crash to a blue screen saying there is a thread stuck in device driver.

neimanj

When upgrading my device drivers in Windows 10 the OS will crash to a BSOD with the error THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER. I get the same result whether I try to upgrade via the Crimson Radeon Settings software or from downloading the latest drivers from the AMD website. This issue only started happening in the past couple of months but has occurred with three separate sets of drivers (16.14.x, 16.15.1, 16.15.2); I have no issues playing any games and run 2 monitors and a 1080p TV off my GPU.

I was able to upgrade the drivers recently through a somewhat weird method:

1. I downloaded the most recent set of Beta Drivers (16.5.1) from the AMD site and used those to uninstall everything. At a certain point, the uninstaller reported a failure and would not proceed any further.
      2. I restarted my computer.
      3. I used the downloaded Beta Drivers (16.5.1) to install, which proceeded just fine.
      4. I restarted my computer again.
      5. The system reported that I was upgraded to 16.5.1 after booting up.

Here are my system specs as reported by the Crimson Radeon Settings software:

Radeon Software Version - 16.5.1

Radeon Software Edition - Crimson

Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon R9 200 Series

Memory Size - 4096 MB

Memory Type - GDDR5

Core Clock - 977 MHz

Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)

System Memory - 16 GB

CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz